main road noise

I have an IP having one bedroom window facing main road and I would like to make it less noisy.
1./ Does anyne have experiene replacing normal aluminium windows with double glazed windows ? How easy/hard ? What sort of cost, roughly ? Any contact in Brisbane ?
2./ Are there other ways to sound proof a window ?
Ta,

Hi Salsa,

Don't know about double glazing, but I had the same problem and just added a second window, which was made from two layers of glass with laminate in between. Talk to a mob in Mt Gravatt called Archer Glass ph (07)38492664. I used them and were very happy with the service and price and they will be able to tell you what would suit you best.

Thanks natmarie73. Does it work well as far as sound proofing ? Did you just do the bedroom window or all windows facing the main road ? Ta

Make sure you put moisture absorbent beads between new glass and old as a friend had a new sheet of glass put over the old by a newbie glazier who didnt know, and ended up with condensation you couldn't see out of.

Secondary glazing can be another window added to the existing minus the reveals. This means no moisture / cleaning issues, and if your existing reveals are big enough you can fit blinds between the windows. 100mm + air gap between panes = best noise reduction.

GJ James had a secondary glazing system a few years back and all panes opened.

MC

I have seen the added window concept as per MC post previously and the guys was very happy with the result.

I should add that this was a window in a double brick and tile with insulation in the ceiling situation.

Salsa, I suggest that you also examine the insulating properties of the window surrounds, the ceiling and possibly the floor as noise will travel through all of these areas and depending on how dense they are will allow the transmission of noise.

Without addressing these areas you may find you go to all the trouble of installing double glassing and only succeed in marginally reducing the noise.

Cheers

Thank you all for your comments.
Andy, it is a 3 levels block of units double brick concrete floor tin roof so perhaps I should check if the roof is insulated.

Salsa, it did work quite well for soundproofing. I had a normal sized window in the main bedroom done as well as a very large floor to ceiling double sized window in the lounge room done. I think it cut down the noise levels by about an extra 30 - 40% so while it does not cut out all noise, it does make a significant reduction. It is important to ensure you have roof insulation as well, as quite a lot of noise comes in through the roof.

Apparently you need to have a window sill on the inside of the window that is at least 10 cm wide to do this as it is the air gap in between the two windows that provides the insulating properties and not actually the glass itself. Both windows are still able to be opened as well for fresh air.

Back