Make a chunk of Money

Hi All
We have always bought our investments as a buy and hold but was wondering if anyone is out there doing any small deals that are creating a chunk of equity quite quickly
We are just looking at the possibility of doing something so we can keep moving forward
Ideas appreciated

Thanks

Stamp Duty on the the way in, Capital Gains Tax and real estate agent fees on the way out make it a fairly costly exercise. You'd want to know what you're doing.

Wish I knew. I'd be onto it straightaway.

You have to be lucky enough to find someone silly enough to sell at an under market price.

Maybe if you buy now and hold for 6 months (in Sydney somewhere) you may build up some equity - but no guaeantee.

Maybe try the stock market?

Hey mate, we have been trying our hand with splitter blocks and having a bit of success with those. We got impatient with our buy and hold strategy in WA and offloaded some properties from there to begin a little project over here.

To clarify, I mean knock down/remove rebuild 2 on an 809 splitter.

Just had the two houses we built valued by banks (about 20k each conservatively IMO looking at the market) and at that figure have manufactured six figure growth in 7 months.

We could have done things better in a couple of areas (prolly spent 10k over budget), but very happy with that result for a toe dipper. Before we undertook anything, I did an enormous amount of market research, pessimistic/base/optimistic financial modeling, agent schmoozing and letter box dropping.

It has not been easy for us by an stretch of the imagination, you really need to get out there, know the market, *firmly* understand your costings and be prepared to put in time for project management.

Hey, it beats working for the man!

Last edited:
Only chunks of money I touch is equity the bank is prepared to give me so I can use it as deposit/purchase costs of the next IP. This avoids CGT, legal fees and commission.

There's several common ways to create equity quickly:

1. Buy a property in an area that's just about to shoot up in value.
This is a bit speculative, you've got to do a lot of research and know the market to be able to predict this, and then you can be wrong.

2. Buy a property for a price that's way less than what it's worth.
I don't know many people who would deliberately sell a property for less than it's worth. It's possible to do, but rarer than many gurus will indicate.

3. Add value to the property (via something like renovation, sub-division, development, etc).
This can take a lot of planning and effort.

Buy in rising markets
As many as we can, hold a couple, sell a couple. Alternatively, you can access the equity, however if they are -ve you would not want to be holding these properties when the market turns, unless it can be developed down the track. Of course there is CGT, stamp duty etc, however if you are still pocketing $50K after expenses and you sell 2 and move on, that's fine IMO. ($100K profit back in the kitty).

Develop
Buy 2/3/4 unit development sites and sell some, keep some, take some money off the table. Continue to have 2, 3, 4 development sites ready to go. Start small and then grow. Jump into more than one market, I am currently building in Perth (3 unit site) and just got plans and permits approved for Melb 4 unit site, commence in July/August (thanx Oscar:).
Most importantly find markets that are moving and that suit your budget, needs equity for this one while building.

Renovate
Buy a property under market value, hard at the moment too many markets moving. Add value, either sell or access equity.
This is my least favoured, IMO to make this work you need to be a hands on person, in other words do it yourself, no thanks, that is way too much work for me.

Sell your skills/time
If you have some sort of skill offer your services ie sourcing properties, mentoring, start a business if suits, help others achieve success in property.

Just some ways to bring some cash on the table while continuing to grow a property portfolio.

Cheers
MTR

Find a property that for some reason is unloved but has potential, buy it for a lower price, renovate it cheaply and reval :)

Simple huh!! :)

Wish I knew. I'd be onto it straightaway.

You have to be lucky enough to find someone silly enough to sell at an under market price.

Maybe if you buy now and hold for 6 months (in Sydney somewhere) you may build up some equity - but no guaeantee.

Maybe try the stock market?

The US stock market is back to its historic highs, posting its largest one year gain since 1995. If you held US stocks you made up some ground

What area's have you been targeting :)

So what features do you look for with this strategy .

Close to transport ?
Multiple access ( and exit ) points ?
Distance to police ?
Good access to legal services ?

Main risk would be an early move to a downsizer ...
A room with a ( limited ) view where the property mantra isn't Sell , but Cell but you'd have plenty of time to work out in the gym .... And you might need to ....

Cliff

Back