• More likely to vote for the coalition

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • Niether more or less likely

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Less likely to vote for the coalition

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He must have such an ego. Imagine going through all the nonsense of politics when you have as much money as Turnbull has. Does he want to become PM because he wants to make difference? Or is it just the rung at the top of the ladder that he wants to reach? I suspect his motives are more personal than societal.
Nelson's overnight trip in that truck recently scrapped the bottom of the popularist barrel. At least I can't see Turnbull doing that. It will be interesting to see how the Libs tone down his smugness - he keeps trotting out the poor upbringing stuff but nobody really buys it.
Scott

Interesting comment Scott. It would then suprise you to know the Rudd family has more wealth than Turnbull?!

I watched him on Q&A (abc program) and he was a very accomplished operator.

Peter14.7

It would then suprise you to know the Rudd family has more wealth than Turnbull?!

Interesting, Peter. From what I've seen in the press up here for the last year or so, the figures that are being quoted are around the $10M mark. (I guess that the press scrutiny is one of the downsides of life in the public eye.)

Perhaps Rudd wants to downplay things - not quite compatible with the Labor image???

Cheers
LynnH

Yeah, tough call on Turnbull imho.

We don't see it much in Australia, but wealthy politicians are common O/S (The Governator, Michael Bloomberg, the Bush Family, John Key in NZ).

At least, like some, they can't be accused of doing it for personal fortune (refer to this thread).

Thank heavens, Turnbull should have been in from the start. I think they have a real chance now, as Krudd has really shown himself to be an immediate non achiever

Interesting, Peter. From what I've seen in the press up here for the last year or so, the figures that are being quoted are around the $10M mark. (I guess that the press scrutiny is one of the downsides of life in the public eye.)

Perhaps Rudd wants to downplay things - not quite compatible with the Labor image???

Cheers
LynnH

Lynn, I think you'll find Turnbull's wealth is well over $100m. He has made very very successful investments over the past 15 years.

Labor have thrown around the 'tax break for Porsche drivers' line with the Opposition blocking the luxury car tax.

Interesting if they ratchet up this line of attack on Turnbull, especially given Therese Rain's successful business career.

Yeah, hard to get actual firm figures.

Turnbull is quoted as $100M to $170M depending on where you read.
Rudd's Wife is founder of business worth $550M with revenues of $170M per annum.

Both are not poor.

The difference is:

one is white, business founder, male, lives in Vaucluse.
one is white, business founder, female and lives in Qld.

BTW I am not anti Mrs Rudd. I am glad our prime minster has a business brilliant wife. What better advisor?

Peter

GREAT NEWS FOR AUSTRALIA....

Malcom Turnbull will be a great PM in 2010/11, however it can swing two ways, turnbull can clean up, and i hope he does... or he will continue along the same path the Liberals are going and just keep the seat warm for another leader come 2009/10.
In my belief Costello is doing same thing Howard did in late 80's early 90's where party will stay down and he will walk in as the white knight when the time is right.

I personally feel its too premature to have someone in the seat to run as PM in 2011.

I do belive the fool which is in now, will have a hard slog getting back in in 2011. Whoever is PM or Premier now will look bad, so im gld its the Labor Party across the whole Aus. The writing is on the wall, Labor is on its way out. WA strong Labor government, is now Liberal, NSW EXTREMELY Labor council seats this weekend, have shifted to Liberal, This has to show a clear message....

Goodluck to Turnbull, hope to be ticking the box for Libs in 2011, with either Turnbull or Costello as leader.

There wasn't a better choice. Hopefully, he'll evolve his communication skills and media savvy.

Lord knows what lurks in the mind of Peter Costello.....The party should have been behind him prior to the last election. That they weren't is disturbing. The Howards stayed past their use by date.

Lord knows what lurks in the mind of Peter Costello.....The party should have been behind him prior to the last election. That they weren't is disturbing. The Howards stayed past their use by date.

I just don't understand why Costello gets any air time inside the Libs? Does anyone in the general public like him (outside his electorate)?

I suspect that in the general public he's much like poor old Kim Beasley - unelectable, no matter the opponent.

I don't see this as being very important for an election a few years away.

It may influence some by elections (or even buy elections)- but, there's a lot of stuff to happen between now and the next federal election.

But I suspect there's a number of state elections which will make a much bigger inpact in the next 2-3 years.

I've been wondering if Costello is just happy sitting back waiting for Nelson and Turnbull to run out of steam before he makes a move, ... and then closer to the election make a run for leader. That way he can sit back and watch how the others go.

Nelsons already fallen by the wayside, ... Costello can wait and watch how Turnbull goes. If Turnbull fails then Pete can step in as the hero to save the party.

just a thought

Martin

Yes Mystery, thats what i was getting to before hand.

Howard did the same thing in 80's/90's.... Downer, Huston, etc...

Lynn, I think you'll find Turnbull's wealth is well over $100m. He has made very very successful investments over the past 15 years.

Buzz

Sorry - I didn't make my post very clear, did I?

Turnbull is from Sydney, so wouldn't know what the press down there have been saying about him - Rudd is from Brisbane (as I am), and it was the Rudd/Rein family to whom I was referring, not Malcolm Turnbull.

Although, having said that, I notice today that The Australian is putting the Rudd/Rein wealth at around the $60M mark.

Cheers
LynnH

personally i think it was nelson's hair. the country just cannot take someone seriously with hair like that.
Menzies had his eye-brows. Howard was a little man. So what?

Turnbull can go two ways in my opinion:
1. Become Paul Keating: intensly hated and brilliant at the same time and become PM
2. Become Mark Latham.

I think to simply assume that the nation will vote Lib now that Turnbull is the leader is to underestimate the efficient / boring / bland / safe Rudd. He's not sexy, but he's not dangerous either. Turnbull might just make this country something truly great, or he might lead us into a war with NZ or Indo.

I am undecided. I think he needs a few months in the job to get a good impression of the man.

Turnbull v Rudd, should be interesting.

Back