Massive water usage

Just received a huge water bill yesterday for my almost complete IP, which is only days away from handover. $300 bill & statement says 71,000 litres of water has been used in only the last month:eek: Some of the other statements I thought were excessive, since no one is living there, and I did ring the water company with my concerns. They didn't seem concerned then, but it's gone through the roof now. They are now going to send someone out today to check the metre is working correctly. What happens if there is a leak under the slab somewhere? Is this the builder's responsibility? What kind of disruption could I expect if they have to fix a leak under there? I've just listed it for lease.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen before?

Cheers

Toon

Do you have any neighbours with pools? Could they be filling their pools with the "new guy's" tap while he is not looking?

My bill that I paid just before handover was only $37. If yours isn't a leak, any chance that a neighbour is benefiting? Filled a few pools or something?

Thanks wylie & ziggy2214,

No, no pools around at all & the water meter is out near the nature strip & no front fencing :(

I really hope someone is stealing it though, can't bear to think of them having to excavate.

Can you get out there and see if the meter is moving? If the leak is that big, it should be ticking over?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Fortunately the water company has someone going there today to check it out.

I know I should just wait & see what they say first, I'm just letting my mind run away with me at the moment, worst case scenario etc.

I was going to say, also check to see if neighbours have very clean cars..... oh, by the way, where did you say this propoerty was (my cars need a good wash...)? :eek::D

Cheers,

The Y-man

LOL, well yes, now that you mention it, the cars on one side are very clean. But then, that couple runs a local euro car dealership :p

Another possibility is that builders just left taps running during construction.

I see it a lot on different construction sites, water is just allowed to flow from different leaking pipes or taps for months and nobody cares. Although being a small site i would assume someone would notice a big leak like that and do something.

Brickies etc use a lot of water.

Someone could have left the tap running.

The other possibility is that a water tanker or two might have pulled up for an overnight refill.

Thanks guys, I hope it is one of these things - even moonlighting water tankers - as long as they cut it out once there's tenants in it!

Flow restrictor might be an option.

(Crude one might be just small metal plate or coin with 4 mm or 5 mm hole drilled into, placed between tap and pipe)

or pressure reducer.

Water will flow but rate of flow will be much much slower.

Hi Toon,

We had a slow leak that we were unaware of, that was brought to our attention by our neighbours, after their cellar filled with water.

It was their plumber that they called to check our meter and consequently found the leak.

Now, I'm not saying that this is your situation but, thought I'd let you know that if it is, you may qualify for a reduction in your water bill. This applies in SA.

The plumber wrote out a certificate for us, claiming that this was the situation and that we were unaware of the leak, allowing us to claim a substantial reduction. Just can't remember the % now.

So Toon, What was the verdict, did you hear back? Are there any neighbours with nice lush lawns that may be benefiting from free night water? :rolleyes:
My mum had a leak that was barely on her side of the water metre, (if it had been in front of the metre box, on council land, it would have been fully the responsibility of SAwater ) SA water agreed to a 50% rebate, but off of a massive $900 bill that was cold comfort.
Methinks you should allow the tenant to have a dog who sleeps chained to the water metre to ward of any would be thirsty thieves!

I know how you feel Toon. I'm just going through my second leaky incident. Water in robes, Kitchen kickboard laminex swelling, Wall tiles falling off! :eek:

All sorts of worst case scenarios flying through your mind. " The slab has cracked in two and groundwater is coming up through the cracks into the house!!" :eek:

Looks like a Gyprocker put a screw through the pipe and initially sealed it but 7 mths later it has decided to let go and create nightmares. All insured of course but a hassle for the tenants.

I think you will find that the water supply doesn't go under the slab.

Sounds like faulty meter to me as you would definitely notice a leak of that magnitude.

Sleep well, Ian

Thanks everyone for support & suggestions. The water company has still not gotten back to me yet. Don't know if this is a good sign or not. Will have to get in touch with them myself.

Cheers

Toon

Well, I heard back from the water company today & the good news is that there's no leaks. Bad news is that all that water was used by someone (probably the builders) & I'm the sucker left to foot the bill :(

Toon

Back