Max profit within 2 months - Which stock?

Is this trading or buy and hold over the period?
Both. As long as have the most amount of total equity in 50 days. I was at home today so I could monitor the market (to my very limited knowledge) and bought the ones I thought would give me short term gain.
I don't want to do this at work which limits the ability to 'trade'.

As I said before I'm coming at 500th now. I checked the ones in top 400 and almost all of them bought Platinum Australia Limited (PLA) @ $0.061. It is $0.115 now!

Both. As long as have the most amount of total equity in 50 days. I was at home today so I could monitor the market (to my very limited knowledge) and bought the ones I thought would give me short term gain.
I don't want to do this at work which limits the ability to 'trade'.

As I said before I'm coming at 500th now. I checked the ones in top 400 and almost all of them bought Platinum Australia Limited (PLA) @ $0.061. It is $0.115 now!

See post #2 :D

Most comps are won by a person who bought one stock and guessed correctly = LUCK

Just an update.

Currently Ranked: 390/1747

I didn't want to just buy and hope for the best. Also that is not the point of this game anyway. So I did some trading.

Trade Type Date No. Of Shares Price Brokerage Total Cost Pofit/Loss
Intrepid Mines Limited (IAU) Buy 03-04-2012 50000 0.750 37.50 37,538
Rio Tinto Limited (RIO) Sell 02-04-2012 777 66.550 51.71 51,658 1,772
ROC Oil Company Limited (ROC) Buy 30-03-2012 125000 0.400 50.00 50,050
Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM) Sell 29-03-2012 1600 29.910 47.86 47,808 624
Campbell Brothers Limited (CPB) Sell 29-03-2012 750 66.620 49.96 49,915 1,035
Aquarius Platinum Limited (AQP) Buy 29-03-2012 21000 2.260 47.46 47,507
Telstra Corporation Limited (TLS) Buy 28-03-2012 15000 3.260 48.90 48,949
Campbell Brothers Limited (CPB) Buy 28-03-2012 750 65.240 48.93 48,979
Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM) Buy 28-03-2012 1600 29.520 47.23 47,279
Rio Tinto Limited (RIO) Buy 28-03-2012 777 64.270 49.94 49,988

See post #2 :D

Most comps are won by a person who bought one stock and guessed correctly = LUCK
Also with insane risk most likely. Now.. a risk adjusted return scenario to attempt to measure any genuine alpha (return over the index you are tracking) would be entirely useful and boring :) Also it's going to take a little bit longer than 2 months and a few transactions!

Also with insane risk most likely. Now.. a risk adjusted return scenario to attempt to measure any genuine alpha (return over the index you are tracking) would be entirely useful and boring :) Also it's going to take a little bit longer than 2 months and a few transactions!

That too :D

In Forex comps some people multiply by 10 times or more, most just go broke :)

Winning a competion is doing just that, investing your own $$$ is something completely different.

May be they can charge $100 to get 100K fake money.
It is similar to playing poker with friends. Everyone’s playing style changed when we charged for the chips even though it was very small.

I'm participating one of the shares competition run within Universities. Basically we have $200K fake money. We are allowed to but any ASX200 stock. The winner is decided by end equity + cash we have at the end of 2 months.

Currently I put orders to buy few shares which give dividend in next two months... but nothing is bought yet as I set them at a lower price.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Hows the comp going?

I was coming 100 out of 2000 people just before the last week crash but now pushed back to 1000th spot. I wasn't quick enough to sell even though I knew it was going to go down.

It is all over... I lost 40K out of 200K! :p

Thanks everyone... I will stay away from shares for a while :)

devank,

A recent fund manager gave a presentation on ASX. He said that when to sell maybe be more important than when to buy. If you interested see the link below:
http://www.brrmedia.com/event/95925/dale-gillham-executive-director-wealth-within
I am in the process of purchasing his book since one of my private IPO's may float soon.
I think in these uncertain times preserving the capital is quite important so having a strategy when to buy and especially when to get out should be a priority. You can always re-enter the market if you preserve some capital, right?
He recommends his strategy would get you out of the market prior to GFC and I am wondering whether it would get you out prior to this current loss too?
Let me know what you think?:)

What were you left holding and at what purchase price for posterity's sake (and maybe a 2013 review) :D
Don't laugh but I had to gamble at the end to move 100/2000 to come in the top 10. So I had these
Lynas Corporation Limited*(LYC) @ $1.1
Bathurst Resources Limited*(BTU) @ $0.63
ROC Oil Company Limited*(ROC) @ $0.4
Aquarius Platinum Limited*(AQP) @ $2.26

I ended up 1300th/2000 :)

A recent fund manager gave a presentation on ASX. He said that when to sell maybe be more important than when to buy.
Thank you for that... it was a good presentation. I learnt so many simple rules!

I am in the process of purchasing his book since one of my private IPO's may float soon.
Congratulations! This must be a huge step.

I am wondering whether it would get you out prior to this current loss too?
Let me know what you think?:)
Right now I'm working on a research masters which is supposed to be finished by June. After that I will implement his method (using SPSS or Stata or Excel) in a fairly automated way. I will let you know after that.

I'm thinking on putting an low order for Telstra, Metcash & Wesfarmers.

Last June I moved all my super (not much) into cash & fixed interest from diversified portfolio. It worked well.
This June I thinking of moving all back to shares.

Yes when you sell is almost as important as when you buy.

My latest play was a stock I bought at 1.36, kept averaging up to 1.60. Sold at 1.96. Peaked at 2.00. This all happened in the last 2 months I think.

Today it's 1.15. Sentiment is as much important in stocks as fundamentals. Which is why I'm not a big fan of Buffett's style unless you

a) seriously have a long-term view;
b) identify something immensely cheap (if something falls from, to use a simple metric, 9x PE to 7x PE, is that cheap? Maybe 7x PE is still a lot).. but there obviously comes a point when you say OMG THIS IS A BARGAIN, such as 0.5x PE, cash greater than market cap, no debt, no capex blah blah blah (if you find a stock like that let me know I'll go all in)

I've been in the resources (banking) industry for a number of years now, and my stocks are as anti-Buffett as you can get. The one I bought has negative cashflow, negative profit and gearing of 60%.

It's a household name called Paladin Energy.

Yes when you sell is almost as important as when you buy.

My latest play was a stock I bought at 1.36, kept averaging up to 1.60. Sold at 1.96. Peaked at 2.00. This all happened in the last 2 months I think.

It's a household name called Paladin Energy.
All the prices are up and down on a daily basis,imho it's the out of nowhere events that drive the market short term,that's what i watch for ,and depending on the entry numbers from 1.36 over a 8 week span then walk away after tax
in the 1.90 range is very good,i prefer high risk low end banks..
imageChart.axd

Yea just less fluctuations that's all

But you can't be too greedy. A lot of my friends played PDN too.

One of them got in at 1.44, sold at 1.92.

Bought back in at 1.70 (doubled up) on the way down. It's now 1.15-1.20 range. All happened in 8 weeks for him too.

Can't see the chart you posted...

Back