Maylands, WA

Hi

Looking at purchasing interstate in Maylands , WA and recommended to buy in area near the river. Is south of Guildford Road ok ?

Any suggestion on what streets to look into or avoid ?

Thank you

Maylands is a suburb with a lot of potential, i know it pretty well.

What sort of property and price point are you looking at?

The best pockets would be

1) on the inglewood border in between beaufort and railway pde

2) near the maylands town centre so in between whatley and guilford (only some streets though are good)

3) some parts near the river

i would favour 1) if i were you but again it comes down to the type of property you are looking for. As Inglewood (and even Bedford) becomes pretty expensive more people are looking in Maylands. The recent revitalisation of the centre is definitely helping as well, there is quite a nice vibe there now and some great cafes.

All of that being said, however, i recently sold 3 properties in the section im recommending and bought in a less glamorous part of Maylands recently as that is where i found a great opportunity.

IMO

There are some nice normal suburban pockets in Maylands (west guildford rd).

there are also some horrible, prostitute/drug dealer/wife basher filled huge high rise old unit buildings (usually closer to the river).

You can find these units on realestate for under 180k each approx.

stick to west of guildford rd or look very very closely anything east and make sure its not on a street with big unit complexes.

Neither would I, I'd just be careful, esp an interstate investor who may not visit or really see the streets day-to-day
Obviously there's the nice riverfront homes etc

Neither would I, I'd just be careful, esp an interstate investor who may not visit or really see the streets day-to-day
Obviously there's the nice riverfront homes etc

Fair enough, i would definitely recommend a visit.

I would like to clarify though that im not at all talking about the nice riverfront homes, to me they are not of any interest.

Im talking about sites just off peninsula (or some even on peninsula).

Btw to the OP, you may see some apartments on Sherwood Street/Court that seem usually cheap, be very careful. One of the buildings there allegedly has massive problems. Concrete cancer, a lot of leaks that require massive work and a grossly underfunded strata.

Oh, please no sanj. I hope that means you know it a tad better than Northbridge, after last time.

Nawww you're kinda cute when you're being a sook dazz.

Pretty hypocritical for someone who owns a shopping centre {edit} to criticise suburbs to invest in {edit} don't you think? Ultimately im happy to buy anywhere i see good potential.

We are talking about properties for investment, maylands is a great suburb to consider imo. I'm currently doing a development there, have done another in the past and put offers on many properties in the area over the last few years. Also lived there for over 2 years until around 4 months ago. We are ultimately all here to learn and share. I feel like i am able to provide some value when it comes to Maylands and surrounds due to my experience there, we all know you have absolutely no interest in resi property as you enjoy pointing out every 3 minutes but plenty of us still do.

A lot of dev sites in the area are up 20% in the last 12 months, villa prices are well up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
sanj

I checked out a couple of deve blocks you recently sold.

Interesting, as they were at the rear, initially my thoughts were they would not sell, but you sold within 4 weeks I believe.

Maylands has great potential. So is your next project in the Maylands area?

Cheers, MTR

Yes they sold after 2 or 3 weeks. I was always pretty confident they would sell as a lot of the work had been done and imo there was at least 150k profit in it for someone who bought both sites and used the extisting DA. Battleaxe blocks are pretty common here.

Currently doing another project in maylands which is off peninsula rd.

I used to work at a 24 hour deli in Maylands. Avoid the hell out of the cheap flats, I swear the dodgiest people in Perth live there. There are some nice homes near the river yes but these are also near the dodgy unit blocks. If you want to buy there I would stick to a small complex or a free-standing if you can afford

Some of the large unit blocks are absolute rubbish, def agree.

There is one on tenth ave that isn't so bad though, I've got a relative who owns one there and has had no issues in the 7 or 8 years of ownership. A few months ago you could get a 1 bedder for 189-199kk that furnished would rent for 300/week

"Please note: the Unit has been Discounted due to renovations & works being recomended on this complex call me for details John Caputo 0433 158 384"

That would make me nervous without knowing the full details but from what i have heard this building has major issues with concrete cancer, a lot of leaks, no sinking fund etc

There is another unit in the same block for sale, i spoke to the agent when it came on a few months ago out of curiosity and he was quite open about the issues there. Someone told me that council had been considering condemning this building if the issues were not sorted, that could be unfounded rumours of course but to mei would stay away from this building.

"Please note: the Unit has been Discounted due to renovations & works being recomended on this complex call me for details John Caputo 0433 158 384"

That would make me nervous without knowing the full details but from what i have heard this building has major issues with concrete cancer, a lot of leaks, no sinking fund etc

There is another unit in the same block for sale, i spoke to the agent when it came on a few months ago out of curiosity and he was quite open about the issues there. Someone told me that council had been considering condemning this building if the issues were not sorted, that could be unfounded rumours of course but to mei would stay away from this building.

Thats pretty bad, what also makes me nervous is the guy selling it, you will know what I mean if you ever talk to him:eek:

What about this one, good return, just interested in views from those who are in the know as far as Maylands goes.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-wa-maylands-107546176

Hi Ninga
Funny about that, he was trying to flog off stuff in Geraldton, after telling me he sold out.
MTR

Back