Mba

Really? Berry I suppose is.

Lonewolf you're quite perceptive.

Many friends and acquaintances on here so would not be surprised.

Nothing to argue Tele ~ people lie on the net all the time anyway.

I'm doing one now. As an engineer, I didn't want to do a project engineering masters, and I was getting bored/stale. I'm really enjoying it, I only studied engineering because I didn't know what I wanted to do. My work is paying as well, which helps.

I'm doing AGSM, and there is still a reasonable amount of dross in the course. The trick is you quickly identify which of the other candidates know their stuff, and you tend to form cliques that look out for each other.

I was offerred to do it by my employer when I was working at the bank but didn't end up doing it. I did however do some research at the time and found it quite useful but like anything nothing is going to beat on the ground experience.

I did my MBA which I found useful in sorts, but as a majority of the people have said, it's a general course. Coming from a BSC in stats (working in the finance industry), it does provide basic understanding of finance/accounting which wasnt available in the bachelor's I took. After doing the MBA it did clear up some of the decisions/practices that senior management were doing. But, having decent mentoring, time and relevant work experience would have taught you the same thing.

Another thing to take into account would be whether it's a MBA but coursework (typically 12 papers/units) or half course and half dissertation. Retrospectively, I think I would have benefitted more from a dissertation as general concepts can be learned relatively easily. You can do anything, hard or simple, its what you choose to take from it that makes the difference. End of the day, if its being paid for by the company, the price is right.

Son did an MBA which quickly led to a management job and quadrupled his salary.

Reckons it was worth every cent.
Marg

Lots of the guys at work do MBA's almost straight out of uni (engineering field).

To be honest, it doesn't seem to translate into a promotion any quicker.

The feedback I've recieved is alot of these guys are doing MBA's way to early in their career/life. They're missing the life skills and the people management skills. I've heard its highly recomended to be managing a team of your own before undertaking an MBA - atleast then you've got some test subjects to play with!

Lots of the guys at work do MBA's almost straight out of uni (engineering field).

To be honest, it doesn't seem to translate into a promotion any quicker.

The feedback I've recieved is alot of these guys are doing MBA's way to early in their career/life. They're missing the life skills and the people management skills. I've heard its highly recomended to be managing a team of your own before undertaking an MBA - atleast then you've got some test subjects to play with!

Agree totally. Doing it straight out of uni is just another qualification, once you actually have something to reflect on it becomes more useful. I think it's the difference between an MBA and an EMBA

If you are thinking of teaching at Higher Ed, you'll need a full blown Masters (3 year post-grad), not MBA. The Y-man

I guess there are exceptions for people who are (relatively speaking) experts in their field and who teach a subject here and there, but if you want to join the academic club in more than a temporary capacity then, realistically, you'll need to get published....

You might be lucky and get a Level A gig with a masters degree, but if you want to move up the ladder then you'll need a PhD (or doctorate) and / or publications.

Back