Following in Their Footsteps?

Just wondering if Somersofters could share if they followed in a parent's footsteps when it came to their job/career?

If yes, why? If not, why not?

I was recently chatting with some young people who were about to complete university degrees, others had recently secured apprenticeships or jobs, etc and I found it interesting how many of them said that they will be doing the same work as what their mother or father did too.

Yes Dad was a banker for Westpac, CBA & ANZ. Mum worked for Westpac.

Both Uncles are in finance.

Was around Dad alot on golf course, sporting event just around town (back then he was branch manager, many country towns). Everyone seemed to love him, he helped alot of people buy houses, businesses etc. At the time we weren't well off but we werent the poorest kids in town, so financial looked good as well.

So that kind of got me into in, then found a love of property which has made me really enjoy what I do and made me good at what I do.

Brother followed my grandpa and trained race horses. We used to go out to his farm as kids, guess he seen the same things in grandpa and followed on.

I sure didn't. My parents were honest and reasonably hard working but were, frankly, underachievers.

My father didn't get much in the way of opportunity (poor family, didn't finish school, etc) but saved well. My mother was stay at home most of her life.

One of the main reasons I wanted to be wealthy was growing up in a house where wealthy people were treated as 'them', as opposed to 'us', and I saw this as excuse-making, even as a young teen.

I am similar to you, parents were underachieves in term of financial measures, but high achievers in many other ways, to begin with, they made their way to this lucky country of ours.
They were considered upper class in their home societies, and by coming here, they have worked hard for their dollars, and banked all their investment (time/hard work/life/pride) on their next generation (which is me) to make up the lost times and also for all future generations ahead.

Did I follow their foot steps? No
What I carry on my shoulders are hard work through 2 generations, and till this day, I have not disappointed them, luckily...

I sure didn't. My parents were honest and reasonably hard working but were, frankly, underachievers.

My father didn't get much in the way of opportunity (poor family, didn't finish school, etc) but saved well. My mother was stay at home most of her life.

One of the main reasons I wanted to be wealthy was growing up in a house where wealthy people were treated as 'them', as opposed to 'us', and I saw this as excuse-making, even as a young teen.

Last edited:
Being Fathers day last weekend i actually reflected on this very subject. Dad worked for Chrysler at Tonsley Park mid 1960,s to early 1980,s.making those wonderful cars called the Val.I idolized my Dad,and wanted to follow in his footsteps.I worked with Chrysler/Mitsubishi for 15 years,and do not regret it one bit.I am just grateful we experienced the times when buying local kept us all in jobs,a real thing of the past these days.

Just wondering if Somersofters could share if they followed in a parent's footsteps when it came to their job/career?

I was recently chatting with some young people who were about to complete university degrees, others had recently secured apprenticeships or jobs, etc and I found it interesting how many of them said that they will be doing the same work as what their mother or father did too.
I haven't followed in my parent's footsteps.

Mum - housewife and very limited school education.
Dad - jack of all trades and not a lot of school education either.

Both played a little bit of sport as youngsters, and Dad was a periodic early-bird Sunday hacker at golf, but nothing really to speak of as adults.

I became heavily into several sports as a teenager, shifted to golf as the no.1 passion, and took it up as a Profession at 18 years old.

Stayed in the industry for 30 years all up (couple of deviations into other things along the way).

Being Fathers day last weekend i actually reflected on this very subject. Dad worked for Chrysler at Tonsley Park mid 1960,s to early 1980,s.making those wonderful cars called the Val.I idolized my Dad,and wanted to follow in his footsteps.I worked with Chrysler/Mitsubishi for 15 years,and do not regret it one bit.I am just grateful we experienced the times when buying local kept us all in jobs,a real thing of the past these days.

This is beautiful, Jimmy :) - although I'm one of those emotional, soppy females and we tend to melt when we hear or read about stuff like that. How lucky you were to have grown up with a man who was such a positive, wonderful role model to you.

It's also wonderful that you worked the same job and weren't sorry you did.

I think we underestimate the influence our own occupations can have on our children. They obviously overhear us talking about our time at work and their young minds must be taking it all in, "I'd love that", or "I'd hate to do that"... I always remember my Dad saying how much he loved his job. He never came home cranky and it was always obvious to me that he really enjoyed what he did. My siblings must have noticed that too as they now work the same job and say Dad's obvious enjoyment of it was a big influence.

In contrast, someone asked my teenage son if he was going to follow in his old man's footsteps (emergency service) and he recoiled in horror and exclaimed, "Absolutely NOT. There's no way I'm doing that job!" It made me think about how much he'd obviously taken-in over the years watching the affect his Dad's job had on him. He then said he wants to be either an Engineer (like his uncles) or a Stockbroker :D.

No, mum is a housewive and dad is working in family owned manufacturing company as site manager.

The specific job and industry I'm doing now have only start existing 15-20 years ago. That said, parents do invest in property every now and then (buy then sell - I only know 1-2 years ago) :)

I sure didnt, thankfully, career wise at least.

Mums a sewing machinest and (step) dads a mechanic. They're a couple of years off retirement age with not much to show for it. Ill help them out.

I'm a fourth generation land owning farmer, and 6th generation as farm worker. My great great and great great great grandfathers were farm labourers or shearers but not farm owners. Plenty of farmer decendants on my mothers side and maternal sides as well.

See ya's.

Dad showed me how he used to open a 67 Holden with a 2 cent coin or open a bottle of beer with a fork. That was great. When he wasn't in jail we used to shoot wild ducks in Nurungingy.

Luckily, I grew up to make an honest living.

Good onya D.T!

Re:following parents footsteps,i have followed bad habits lol.

Anyhow my father passed away when i was 12 and was in some sort of chemical factory?

I have nfi btw and he died in his new job in a cemetery 3 weeks after starting on his new job on my sisters birthday!

My mother worked in a factory on the assembly line.

So did i follow there footsteps?

Yes and no,upbringing imo helps.You are also a product of your surrounds as well.

Anyhow all good,we all have a journey on either path,it's up to you at the end in what path you want to take.

Cheers :)

Dad showed me how he used to open a 67 Holden with a 2 cent coin or open a bottle of beer with a fork. That was great. When he wasn't in jail we used to shoot wild ducks in Nurungingy.

Luckily, I grew up to make an honest living.

My father showed me a weed that was good on warts!...Later found he liked to hock and drink.

Ps:Nurungingy-isn't that doony or borderline rooty?

Pss.You should get a shirt with a picture of fork and U @ the bottom to pay homage to your dad.Ducks of a feather will flock together.Good to hear you got on the right path datto,it's not an easy road under the circumstances.

My dad did lots of different things, but generally he worked with paint and protective coatings. I've done enough prep work in my time to know I never want to be a painter :)

My mum worked at a printers and then later for the government.

I remember my mum telling me to join the public service when I finished school - I argued with her and told her it didn't interest me at all. I went and did my own thing for about 10 years and then eventually joined the public service. I should have listened to her earlier.

Growing up we were offered plenty of choices, my father's only input was a sternly worded statement repeated often,"don't be a house painter".

When he was painting for a living all the paints were lead based and he suffered because of the fumes so he really didn't want us doing the same thing.

Now, years later I still get a faint feeling of disobedience when I pick up a paint brush or roller :eek:

Depends on your definition of following. Definitely didn't follow my Mum, don't like/understand medical stuff, and work in the same industry as Dad but I drive a desk while he worked with his hands.

I ... they made their way to this lucky country of ours ... they have worked hard for their dollars, and banked all their investment (time/hard work/life/pride) on their next generation (which is me) to make up the lost times and also for all future generations ahead.

Did I follow their foot steps? No
What I carry on my shoulders are hard work through 2 generations, and till this day, I have not disappointed them, luckily...

Me too. :)

Hi ,

The old man was an Electrician by trade, he took me out quite alot when I was younger on small electrical jobs in the city, and I loved it !! I think he also used me as cheap labour for cleaning and running cables hahaha.

I knew thats what I wanted to be from a very young age.

The old man supported me of-course and Living in the Town of Tom Price a few years later (2000) I was lucky enough to get a an electrical Apprenticeship with Hamersley Iron (Now owned by RioTinto)

10 Years on since finishing my Apprenticeship I work Offshore on the Oil/Gas Rigs, love my work and my Trade is a Handy one, for Reno's and day to day life.

No matter how much I was pushed towards a Uni Education by my teachers in High School or by friends who tried to influence me, I never changed my mind once, purely because I enjoy the Electrical side of things.

It just so happened the NW of WA went nuts after graduating and Trades were in High demand, so out came the $$$ from Companies.

So I guess you could say I followed in my dad's foot-steps except his work is in Rail Signalling and my work is in Instruments & Process, but still the same base Trade.

Cheers,

Wirra

My mum was a nurse, my dad was an electrical technician. My dad spent most of his working life at Telecom.
I took my daughter into day surgery and the doctors had to treat me as well as I couldn't handle the site of blood so nursing wasn't an option.
My mum did do a bit of accounts and office work after having kids which is what I did before having kids.
It's funny to hear my 12 year old son say he doesn't want to be a plumber like his dad.
My daughter doesn't know what she wants to do but she tends to want to work hard to have a high paying job.

Back