McDonalds

geoffw said:
There appears to be a lot of competition in the juice sector- some shopping centres have a disproportionate number, and possibly not all will continue.

Hi geoff.

I've noticed this too. Big shopping centre across the road (Knox) seems to have a more than it needs . New juice place opened a few weeks ago, but doesn't seem that busy.

They know how to charge, have a "groovy" image and seem to be popular with the younger set.

GarryK

geoffw said:
An interesting comment Kevin- is there a reason why?

My search in White pages showed a number of areas where there is multiple franchises. There website may give some indications too http://www.subway.com.au/

In my area there is 2 in Chermside, plus one at Boondall and the new one at Virginia which are only metres apart. The Boondall branch was very profitable ( I used to rep at a printer which printed a lot of Subways material, which is located at Virginia) Unless they bought the Virginia franchise I doubt they would be too happy about it, but I could be wrong. Subway is becoming very popular and I just figure they could go the same way as described in other posts here. Personally, we eat subway often ourselves and rarely venture to Maccas.

Ahhhh....just thought of another one....Kebabs. I love them and they always are busy. Maybe UTK http://www.utk.com.au/franchise_express-interest.html

Do not touch furniture, been there done that and very very risky. Enormous holding costs, warehousing costs, supply problems and the list continues.

Real Estate is a great option, almost zero outlay to buy stock or store it and generally your advertising is paid for. Service is vital though and wages may be higher than other industries.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Are you going to hijack this post and turn it into a REA bashing post too Duncan?

Reality is owners pay for external advertising. Agents do and in most cases should pay for most marketing, owners should always pay for advertising. Lets try and keep this on the topic of McDonald's and potential franchises.

Kev

Kevin Hockey said:
Are you going to hijack this post and turn it into a REA bashing post too Duncan?

Reality is owners pay for external advertising. Agents do and in most cases should pay for most marketing, owners should always pay for advertising. Lets try and keep this on the topic of McDonald's and potential franchises.

Kev

Sorry, just trying to understand your comment.

Kevin Hockey said:
My search in White pages showed a number of areas where there is multiple franchises. There website may give some indications too http://www.subway.com.au/

In my area there is 2 in Chermside, plus one at Boondall and the new one at Virginia which are only metres apart. The Boondall branch was very profitable ( I used to rep at a printer which printed a lot of Subways material, which is located at Virginia) Unless they bought the Virginia franchise I doubt they would be too happy about it, but I could be wrong. Subway is becoming very popular and I just figure they could go the same way as described in other posts here. Personally, we eat subway often ourselves and rarely venture to Maccas.
Thanks Kev.

I appreciate your answer.

My reasons for the question are now evident in the thread http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18445

In the disclosure documents Subway ensures you read, they do make it clear that there is no territorial imperative. There is no protected territory. That is a risk.

And there are other risks. Maccas has trialled a Subway menu in Adelaide, and plan on rolling it out. A change to road traffic or a bus depot could change turnover drastically.

But profit is good, and capital growth depends (purely) on profit.

As Peter Spann says. For any investment- Growth, Income, Low risk- pick any two.

Top of the food chain
Jane Fraser
18jan05

THE golden arches of McDonald's at the dingy end of Kingsford in Sydney seemed a little lacklustre yesterday, due, no doubt, to the bleak weather. But inside the store was lit up, a shiny, clean, cheerful and organised midday jostle as usual.

An Indian family of four hunkered in the corner, a team of removalists dusted the crumbs from their overalls and reluctantly made towards their truck, small children with their mothers squealed for more chips or another Coke, others played in the amusement area with its signs: No Bullying! and Be Kind to Others!
The staff, immediately noticeable for their extreme youth – ponytails, acne, braces, grins – were subdued but busy and efficient. They had been told of the death, earlier in the day, of Charlie Bell, the man who put their sometime insalubrious Sydney suburb and store on the world map. But the corporate juggernaut had moved swiftly and there were to be no public comments. A terse press release from chief executive officer Guy Russo announced the passing of the McDonald's dear friend and inspiration; its former, lamented, leader. The McDonald's family is in mourning. The man who spent his life surrounded by hamburgers succumbed to colon cancer. But the show goes on.

Bell would have approved; he was the quintessential company man, McDonald's to his very core and had been ever since he first heard of McDonald's as a 15-year-old schoolboy at Marcellin College, in the Sydney suburb of Randwick. A mate from school was applying for a job at what he told Bell was the most exciting thing in town – the new kid on the fast food block – McDonald's, which had recently opened its 10th outlet in the southeastern suburb. "What's McDonald's?" Bell had asked.

Marcellin, an institution which has as its motto Aeterna Non Caduca – Everlasting not Ephemeral – is recognised as a Marist Brothers institution that has produced a generation of well-educated young Catholic men from Sydney's eastern suburbs. Charlie Bell was not one of them. He was a poor student. Neither was he a sporting hero. His red hair, pasty complexion, podginess and a propensity to sweat furiously made him a target for the merciless Australian sun and schoolboy derision.

Hardly surprisingly, Bell made scant impression on either his teachers or peers, who were little surprised when he left school at 17 to pursue a career in film and television, an ambition never realised.

By that time he had been working at McDonald's for two years. He scrubbed the tables, he decorated and mayonnaised the hamburgers, he threw himself into the McDonald's work and play milieu.

"He was a nice fellow, a really hard worker who always did 10 per cent more than other people," says Greg Pollock, an ex-Marcellin student who worked with Bell at the hamburger joint.

Other former schoolfriends recall riding their bikes to Kingsford after school to try to cadge a burger, but Bell was impervious to their pleas. McDonald's came first.

Pollock recalls, too, that McDonald's was a beacon for young boys. Coming as they did from a conservative, single-sex Catholic school had its drawbacks. McDonald's provided the social icing. There were girls working there. Young attractive girls. So, serendipitously, it was at McDonald's that Bell met his wife, Leonie Webb, who was a training consultant for the company.

Seven Network's Peter Ritchie was managing director of McDonald's Australia in 1980 when he met the 19-year-old Bell, the youngest manager of a McDonald's store worldwide. Bell continued his steady climb up the McDonald's corporate ladder and reached the top last April when he became chief executive and president of McDonald's International – in charge of more than 30,000 restaurants in 118 countries.

The youngster who started at the bottom flipping burgers and mopping toilets became the latest Australian to run an iconic American corporation, joining the ranks of Jack Nasser at Ford, Doug Daft at Coke, Geoff Bible at Philip Morris and James Gorman, who runs the broking business at the Wall Street standard-bearer, Merrill Lynch.

Sydney advertising agency owner Craig Wilson spent some time with Bell at last year's Cannes advertising festival. Wilson's teenage son had just begun his first job working for a Sydney McDonald's store. Bell wrote the boy a note wishing him well. "You never know where your first job will take you," he said.

Yet within weeks of being appointed to run McDonald's globally, Bell was diagnosed with colorectal cancer and seven months later he stepped down to concentrate on his fight – a battle he lost.

In one of life's ironies, Bell had replaced his friend and colleague, Jim Cantalupo, erstwhile CEO, who had died suddenly of a heart attack. By the mid-1990s, when Bell was being recognised as a mover and shaker in the McDonald's family, Cantalupo had come looking for him, trying to convince him to relocate to the US. Bell declined and held out until 1999 when he gave in. The two men, working together, were seen as the architects of change that revitalised the flagging sales of McDonald's. Two weeks after Cantalupo died, Bell was told he had cancer.

In a rare interview given to The Australian after his diagnosis, Bell was asked what impact a down-to-earth Australian would have on a corporate culture where trainee managers are whipped into a frenzy by a quiz on filtering lard; where head office had to devise a policy covering the comings and goings of "chief happiness officer" Ronald McDonald after several employees confessed to a phobia of clowns; a company so fixated on its public image that it will build an ersatz university with an artificial lake and an artificial duck.

"Australians are pretty blunt and we say things how they really are," Bell replied. "Sometimes the words don't come out as eloquently as some of my US colleagues would prefer them to come out. But they know I'm being honest about the business at hand and what we need to focus on.

"The biggest threat to McDonald's comes from within -- that is a company becoming complacent. There are a lot of companies that get fat, dumb and happy and take their eye off the ball."

Asked about his fight against one of the world's most lethal forms of cancer (it is second only to lung cancer as the most common form of cancer death in Australia and the US) he answered instead with the open, no-nonsense attitude McDonald's employees around the world embrace. "There are good days and there are bad days," he said. "And I've had my share of both."

He refused to become introspective or self-pitying. He swore he would carry on as head of the global chain, despite debilitating chemotherapy and two operations. He remained cheerful and optimistic, but it was obvious he was dying. Gaunt and clearly in considerable pain, he resigned his position at the end of November and was flown home to Australia in a company plane specially fitted with medical equipment. He had served for only nine months – something his legacy belies.

Bell is credited with turning the company around, with the introduction of its healthy alternatives and was also instrumental in launching the McCafe concept that has been adopted globally.

Charlie Bell is survived by his wife, Leonie and daughter Alex.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,11969435,00.html

Kevin Hockey said:

Kev

Thats a bit harsh Kevin to a valid question from Duncan. REA Bashing?? Cmon Kev, lets not get too excited.

I wonder why RE agents get so defensive about their industry. (And i dont mean only on this forum)

And the truth is a lot of promotion of RE offices is paid for by vendors. When you see the large RE advertising sections in the local newspapers, have a look at how much is actually promoting the RE agent and how much is dedicated to the homes, probabaly 40%/60% respectively. Its common to have the particular salespersons picture in the ad for a property. How this helps sell the property i'll never know but it does crate a high profile for the RE office and the particular sales person. And a high profile in their operating area is the No.1 imperative for a RE office or sales person.

And that aint 'RE bashing' its just how it is. But back to McDonalds :)

Last edited:
School

wow,

I went to the same school as Charlie Bell. He used to be spoken of highly at assemblies and school fund raisers etc.

Sad that he has passed...

Waz11

Charlie Bell used Australia as the testing ground for the new salad range, which has now been successful throughout the world. This has done a lot to improving Maccas financially- it had apparently not seen much growth for a number of years prior to Charlie's innovations.

Oooooohhh the alternative press are going to have some fun with this...

McDonalds = death - another fast food CEO dies young from eating his own unheathly product etc etc

RIP CB - certainly had a full 44 yrs - hopefully they were fun.

Thanks for posting that obituary Sunstone. Some of my workmates have been a bit gleeful about the demise of Charlie Bell. I told them it could just have easily been the head of the heart foundation keeling over of a heart attack, some disease is due to a genetic predisposition.

They were trying to imply that Mr Bell got colon cancer because he ate too much McDonalds. Believe me some of the middle aged men I work with (some younger than Mr Bell) are in a lot worse shape than Mr Bell appeared to be from the photographs I saw of him.

Have some compassion I say to those a bit eager to draw conclusions and dance upon said grave.

wish-ga said:
Thanks for posting that obituary Sunstone. Some of my workmates have been a bit gleeful about the demise of Charlie Bell. I told them it could just have easily been the head of the heart foundation keeling over of a heart attack, some disease is due to a genetic predisposition.

They were trying to imply that Mr Bell got colon cancer because he ate too much McDonalds. Believe me some of the middle aged men I work with (some younger than Mr Bell) are in a lot worse shape than Mr Bell appeared to be from the photographs I saw of him.

Have some compassion I say to those a bit eager to draw conclusions and dance upon said grave.

Dear Wish-ga,

Thanks for the kind words. :)

History is a funny thing........ Who makes it, how it is written, and how people remember it. Even when one passes away. :eek:

To myself Charlie Bell certainly had a passion for what he did and appeared to be a great Australian Ambassador to show the US not everything revolves around them.

On healthy food, thesedays I do eat quite a few Notburgers or Country Spiced Soy Burgers:
http://www.vnv.org.au/Products/MeatAlternatives.htm
http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/meals/soy-healthy.html

However I do have memories of the sponsorship support that McDonalds did give to "Little Athletics". Try asking for a cheeseburger without meat. ;)

Again it is a good time to think about how we would "like" to be remembered if something were to happen to one of us. :eek:

Enjoy the journey. :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I think Charlie truly is an inspiration to us all. As he said - you never know where your first job will take you.

From a burger flipper to a CEO of a multinational - this guy had drive and tenancity and we are all poorer for his untimely demise.

RIP Charlie

Ecogirl

wish-ga said:
Some of my workmates have been a bit gleeful about the demise of Charlie Bell. They were trying to imply that Mr Bell got colon cancer because he ate too much McDonalds. Have some compassion I say to those a bit eager to draw conclusions and dance upon said grave.

Hi Wish-ga,

The great Australian culture of knocking down a tall poppy, even when tragedy befalls him and his family. Only Aussies can make it a national sport. I read an article not long ago regarding this favourite past-time of ours where it was suggested the same people we are so quick to pass judgement upon for being successful the Americans bestow with honour......and rightly so.

The other interesting fact I got from reading your post was every Australian business, both large and small use McDonalds as its business model. It is considered peerless in systemisation, routine, structure and procedures as a business model. Be in no doubt many in the corporate world admired Charlie Bell and his achievements and are no doubt now in mourning at his loss.

We wish his family the best with the passing of such a great Aussie.

Kev

Good on them for keeping the song on the air.

Frankly the song's point about half the Australian Federal contribution being a loan is absolutely true. It's poor form to promote money lent as being a donation....all we're donating is the interest.

And I also agree that it shouldn't take a disastrous event for people to help those in need. Frankly a lot of the people I've spoken to recently are talking about how generous they've been in giving to the Tsunami appeal - it's the first time they've donated money in years.

They gave because they felt bad....should they now be feeling good?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back