Meeting Aboriginal people

I am interested in visiting Aboriginal/Koori families and do photography about their life. Do you know where I can find Aboriginal families in Melbourne/Victoria?

Thanks

I am interested in visiting Aboriginal/Koori families and do photography about their life. Do you know where I can find Aboriginal families in Melbourne/Victoria?

Thanks

My recommendation would be to find some elders. If / when you have their trust you will have a much better chance of being accepted by the community. To find elders I would look for Aboriginal organisations in the area you are in / of interest. Organisations like Aboriginal medical services, elders groups etc. To gain their trust you will need to articulate why you want to photograph them & what's in it for them. I don't mean that in a financial sense necessarily, but why would they let you into their world?

I am in Victoria. I just want to take a Aboriginal culture/life for the next exhibition. Ideally, a photo of their real life and work will reflect their culture. I can find aboriginal on the street but prefer seeing them in their clans/tribes or at home.

Thanks
Travel to the Riverina and regional areas of Vic will be more successful.

I have a lot to say about culture, living in the Territory with aboriginal people, much of what I say may be considered politically incorrect by Melbourne dwellers. Those are the people I know, some people seem to not know Jack.

A hell of lot less incorrect than using people as objets d'art
preconceptions of bovine excrement

Last edited by a moderator:
I get called bigoted on this forum, mostly regarding aboriginals whom I do know.
I've never considered using anybody as . . . fodder
Imagine the furore if the op had written 'Italians' 'Greeks' Biddelonians 'Jamaicans'
or any other race, origin, color, religion, gender, proclivity, football team, car choice, as selector​
Here we see the Collingwood bogan in its natural habitat
Watch as the Ford driver's car is Found On the Roadside Dead

Aboriginals are not as painted on the teevee,
If you haven't approached anybody else to do an expose of their life, bugger off back to latte land.

What do you call an aboriginal on the moon, an astronaut you ignorant expletives.

I've met a few Australians who don't get to meet Indigenous Australians in their everyday life and are really interested in meeting them, or even want to be involved in work to help them . Why is that so bad? As for photos, why not if the subject doesn't mind?

would you want to be a performing monkey, for some p__'s art expo?
The assumption is just bloody rude

there arent many aboriginals in Vic who live the 'traditional' lifestye
that's ok neither did their ancestors, the tradition was foisted on them, and now its continued mostly for sucker tourist dollars

dige, come only from Arnham land, but they sell em all over
the "authorised" artworks at ayers rock are painted by backpackers copying
Lake MaryAnn has its traditional name, 40,000 years of tradition mate, bull; dug by two brothers in the 1960s with dozers :edit: and lined with concrete :/edit: and named after their daughters
We travelled this route for 40,000 years eating these figs mate, bull; planted by an Italian immigrant after ww1 who WALKED up the telegraph line from Alice to Darwin

Last edited:
would you want to be a performing monkey

Have you ever had your photograph taken and, if so does this make you a performing monkey? Some Aboriginal people, just like anyone else, may like the opportunity to have their photograph taken. If not they'll be more than capable of saying so. Not sure where the monkey analogy is coming from. The guy is seeking advice on who to speak to, not running around taking mug shots of vulnerable people with no consent.

I am in Victoria. I just want to take a Aboriginal culture/life for the next exhibition. Ideally, a photo of their real life and work will reflect their culture. I can find aboriginal on the street but prefer seeing them in their clans/tribes or at home.
evisional said:
from the poster's words

How about
some random a-hole said:
I am interested in visiting Italian families and do photography about their life. Do you know where I can find Italian families in Melbourne/Victoria?

I am in Victoria. I just want to take a Italian culture/life for the next exhibition. Ideally, a photo of their real life and work will reflect their culture. I can find Italian on the street but prefer seeing them in their clans/tribes or at home.
or
some random a-hole said:
I am interested in visiting Catholic families and do photography about their life. Do you know where I can find Catholic families in Melbourne/Victoria?

I am in Victoria. I just want to take a Catholic culture/life for the next exhibition. Ideally, a photo of their real life and work will reflect their culture. I can find Catholic on the street but prefer seeing them in their clans/tribes or at home.
Jewish? Lithuanian?
Ignorant as f___

If the exact phrase would not be acceptable with a different subject, It is unacceptable referring to any subject

Though I may be designating myself an e-pariah, I have to agree with Bob. Patronising champagne-flute-waving arsty farsty exploitation. You might as well be talking about studying chimpanzees in their native environment.

'There's something so dignified about them. A certain understated poise. They're so delightful, Richard, aren't they just?'

In Melbourne (or even Victoria), most Aboriginals' 'real lives' (opposed to their fake lives?) and careers aren't going to 'reflect their culture' in any photography-friendly way. Shock, horror, they'll look just like every other Joe.

The fact that you're even on a property forum asking where to find Aboriginals suggests to me you have no real interest.

'No, you're not Aboriginal enough for these photos, this will not do. Put on this loincloth and hurl this boomerang. Or at least stand in front of this dot painting and eat a witchetty grub. Perfect.'

A friend sent me a link to copies of these photos recently, sound similar to the topic: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/photojour...e-in-remote-kennedy-hill-20150123-12wvxw.html

1422053709188.jpg

Last edited:
Back