Melbourne West Growth Corridor

> Has anyone looked at www.gaa.vic.gov.au On the left window click the bottom Urban Growth Boundary, and then Growth Corridor Plans.

> Or just Google "Growth corridor plans Victoria" and click onto Chapter 4 Melbourne West Growth Corridor.

> It talks about and mentions,,

> 290,000 population growth.

> Proposed OMR Outer Melbourne Ring transport corridor

> New Town Centre " Toolern" just south of Melton, includes new railway station !!

> Our family has always bought Commercial and Residential properties in Melbourne South East. Are the Western Suburbs about to "take off" ???

Last edited:
Not necessarily...it's also the mortgage belt that is most susceptible to economic shocks (not that the SE suburbs are immune).

it all depends on yr definiation of 'about to take off', can be a month or decade, given ENOUGH time all directions grow, personally i believe it does grow, only slower than SE in next little while

> Has anyone looked at www.gaa.vic.gov.au On the left window click the bottom Urban Growth Boundary, and then Growth Corridor Plans.

> Or just Google "Growth corridor plans Victoria" and click onto Chapter 4 Melbourne West Growth Corridor.

> It talks about and mentions,,

> 290,000 population growth.

> Proposed OMR Outer Melbourne Ring transport corridor

> New Town Centre " Toolern" just south of Melton, includes new railway station !!

> Our family has always bought Commercial and Residential properties in Melbourne South East. Are the Western Suburbs about to "take off" ???

Yes the are the inner city will go from their $700k prices to $1m and outer burbs will go from $300k to $600k.

No brainer. Who would choose to pay $600k for Box Hill when you can live in Sunshine or Altona for the same price?

Yes the are the inner city will go from their $700k prices to $1m and outer burbs will go from $300k to $600k.

No brainer. Who would choose to pay $600k for Box Hill when you can live in Sunshine or Altona for the same price?

I wouldn't live in Sunshine or Altona unless I was getting paid a lot of money to do so.

You are saying 600K for the privilege of living in Sunshine / Altona? :eek:

Altona

Hi. I'm relatively new to Melbourne but Altona North does not look too bad to me from an investment perspective. Maybe i have to look a little harder? It is reasonably well located, decent sized lots, houses look sound. Cheaper than Williamstown, Sedon etc. Am i missing something here?

Hi. I'm relatively new to Melbourne but Altona North does not look too bad to me from an investment perspective. Maybe i have to look a little harder? It is reasonably well located, decent sized lots, houses look sound. Cheaper than Williamstown, Sedon etc. Am i missing something here?

A basic summary is:

East/South side of Melbourne is far more desirable than the West side of Melbourne. Most of the crime/stabbings all occur West.

The Altona loop stations (Seaholme, Altona, Westona) tend have a second class service compared with most http://www.danielbowen.com/2011/03/30/metro-may-timetables/

My preference for Altona is mostly based on my dislike for the newer Wyndam locations like Point Cook etc where the many thousands of new homes have very little outdoor space. In the long run i believe people will tire of living in these cramped environments.

A basic summary is:

East/South side of Melbourne is far more desirable than the West side of Melbourne. Most of the crime/stabbings all occur West.

So Aaron, based on this logic, when suburbs such as Port Melbourne, Richmond had the reputations (even as late as the late 80's and early 90s') which were substantial areas of crime areas in Melbourne, you would have said what?

And of course there is no crime in St Kilda? And god forbid, violent crime extends to say Albert Park, Sth Melbourne? Ooops, too late...
http://www.theage.com.au/national/murder-charge-over-albert-park-bashing-death-20091210-kl77.html

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/police-probe-shooting-as-man-fights-for-life-20110726-1hxmn.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/28/3150760.htm?site=sydney

That's ok, its the white collar crime that is a bit more acceptable isn't like, like say the Henry Kaye's of the world. No where did he live and invest in? Elwood and a small development called Oasis.....in St Kilda!

So Aaron, based on this logic, when suburbs such as Port Melbourne, Richmond had the reputations (even as late as the late 80's and early 90s') which were substantial areas of crime areas in Melbourne, you would have said what?

I knew someone would try and challenge me on this. The question was asked, the answer given. I know for a fact that people who have money don't want to buy West. They won't even consider it. And those are the people that I follow so that I can also become wealthy. The only exception I make to buying in those areas is if I purchased acres of land for a massive subdivision.

Yes it's awesome. As I said, why would Altona North not go from its (for example) $500k price to $700k price when Box Hill is also at $700k?

Screaming buy me thinks?

That's ok, its the white collar crime that is a bit more acceptable isn't like, like say the Henry Kaye's of the world.

Obviously not... white collar crime is nearly akin to killing someone if you ask most judges in Australia.

John Hartman went to jail for 4.5 years for making a couple of share trades. He's in his 20s.

James Dean-Willcocks bashed a man to death on the street and pummelled his head against the concrete footpath while screaming "Go back to Japan" said "he's a **** Japanese, he deserves it". He got 8 years I think?

Stabbing is everywhere in Melbourne unfortunately. East is safer for sure but the safest will be in Altona next to the PM’s house.

I reckon you blokes should be consulting to the big developers like Peet, Stockland, etc.

Perhaps you should tell them not to invest in Western Melbourne....they are likely to go bankrupt!

I'll tell you what....do the percentage growth calcualtions between Eastern and Western Melbourne...chances are the growth rates in percentage terms would not be far off.

I knew someone would try and challenge me on this. The question was asked, the answer given. I know for a fact that people who have money don't want to buy West. They won't even consider it. And those are the people that I follow so that I can also become wealthy. The only exception I make to buying in those areas is if I purchased acres of land for a massive subdivision.

Yes it's awesome. As I said, why would Altona North not go from its (for example) $500k price to $700k price when Box Hill is also at $700k?

Screaming buy me thinks?

I reckon you blokes should be consulting to the big developers like Peet, Stockland, etc.

Perhaps you should tell them not to invest in Western Melbourne....they are likely to go bankrupt!

I'll tell you what....do the percentage growth calcualtions between Eastern and Western Melbourne...chances are the growth rates in percentage terms would not be far off.

Since you've quoted me, you should read what I said sash. As I said, there is certainly money to be made if you are buying hectares of land for a massive subdivision/development. That is why Stockland et al are all building in Point Cook. Plus they are simply too big to buy 1,000 sqm blocks in the Eastern suburbs.

Yep...they leave the 1000-2000sqm blocks to amateur developers. ;)

Since you've quoted me, you should read what I said sash. As I said, there is certainly money to be made if you are buying hectares of land for a massive subdivision/development. That is why Stockland et al are all building in Point Cook. Plus they are simply too big to buy 1,000 sqm blocks in the Eastern suburbs.

Aaron, it may be worth looking at the Victorian Police webiste in particular the PDF titled "•VIEW 2010/2011 CRIME STATISTICS".

A snapshot of Crimes against the person...
Eastern Region - 681.6 per 100,000 of population up by 7.8%
Northwest Metro - 1,043.7 per 100,000 of population up by 4.2%
Southern Metro - 889.2 per 100,000 of population up by 3.2%
Western Region - 870.3 per 100,000 of population DOWN BY -2.2%

Though the stats hardly matter when you're making things up or typing "crime in the western suburbs" into the age website to support your viewpoint.

Back