Metropole properties

I think the post illustrates that the fundamental error was in the timing of the project. It was initiated too close to the peak in the property market, which might have been ok if it had been completed extremely quickly from concept stage to market but, hey, they never do.

But for AL its an expensive lesson and he can only benefit from that in the long run as the best lessons arent free. All the best for future projects mate.

??????

Timing?

So you are saying that all of the other developments I see going on around sth east melbourne are doooomed for failure because they all got their timing wrong? And there are HEAPS. (Well .. I dont think you ARE saying that, but i'm using it to illustrate a point)

I dont think so - you are not thinking hard enough, looking for an easy answer that is constantly perpetuated in the media.

Discalimer - I dont know jack about development projects, but the following is what I believe.

I believe that anyone starting a project 3 years ago had a much better chance of 'success' than starting one now. But the underlying fundamentals are what make or break these projects. in fact, you could probably apply that to most investments. Its the price you pay for it, the expert advice you get, the risk management, the exit strategies in place etc etc etc. I dont think timing is a factor at all.

Investors will continue to make money in every market, at every stage of the market. You cannot deny this one point, and its something I try real hard to remember all the time.

Thoughts?

T.

Tom,

The timing of a development project is absolutely crucial. Developers usually read the market 1-5 years ahead (depending on the project size) and plan for that. Why would you plan to finish a development for when there will be an oversupply/market slump/low demand/high vacancy rates for holders or 3 or 4 combined. Its a recipe for disaster.

Timing is not so crucial for investors because it is usually a long(er) term proposition and if the timing of the purchase was not exactly perfect the length of holding time will smooth it over.

Im sure you have heard the property saying:'Time cures all mistakes' and can be very forgiving to inexperienced investors but not so forgiving to inexperienced developers.

One thing ive noticed in the past few years is that everyone looks good in a rising market, investors, renovators,developers, agents, you name it. I liked that saying that goes 'You can tell who isnt wearing swimmers only when the tide goes out'.

Last edited:
Yes a valid point, I paid a premium price for the land (more than if it was sold for today) with DA/permits in Jan 2003 believing based on the feasiblity study that this would be a "quick" nine month project. If all had gone to plan, I could have marketed the properties in the Oct/Nov 2003 and achieved a good profit if I went to go down the selling path.

It is a cruel fate that the more problems the project had (muddy soil, dodgie carpenters, rain delays, architects mistakes etc), the longer it took and more costs that were incured the more my wife was affirmed her belief that I was being dupped. Thus on completion my wife had had enough, and insisted that they all be sold for $1. As I said the biggest lost was in the act of selling not the on-paper loss begin the difference between final values and the total costs of development.

Firsly, my condolences go out to AL, whose development has faltered. This is very sad to hear, and I wish you all the best in the future.

I have no problem with MY charging fees, and am quite aware that the property market, and in particularly the subsection of development is massively leveraged, so to magnify both losses and gains.

Reading and rereading the posts, though, many statements seem to confuse me so much to consider that something smells awfully like an off trout.

So if I could make you $60 -$90,000 you never had and it was tax free (as it usually is to our clients) why would you not pay us a fee.

"tax free" usually means equity locked up, or a financial dodgy scam or investment. Occasionally it means tax paid (as in the case of imputation credits). Be wary when you see those magic two words put together. The average person in the street loves to hear them, and hence, a lot of professionals love to spruik with them.

And Dave if you wouldn't recommend us why did you come along after and ask my personal advice on a number of matters related to your own property portfolio and then email me personally asking me further advice?

Are the snide remarks you made because we would not discount our fees to you like you requested? We act professionally and generally our clients respect this.

Comments such as this, placed in a public forum about members (whose identities were not substantiated, can hardly be construed in any way, shape or form as "We act professionally"

My favourite line from MY was
No we do not discount our fees

Firstly we did not charge the full 5% fee we normally charge. This was a decision we made at the beginning of the project to make it more viable.

Further I contributed funds to a number of items to keep costs down and improve the quality. For example I personally decided to tile the entry porches and paid for this out of pocket to make the project look better.

To me this sounds like discounting your fees, but, then,

At the end of the project there was about $10,000 in variations cost overruns due to various factors. We had allowed a sum for contingencies and the builder was not able to bare these extra costs as he was doing the job at cost.

Could these variations be directly, or indirectly related to the previously mentioned 'discounts'?

The final value of each of the units was in the order of $300,000 meaning they would appeal to the first home buyer or investor.

The average home loan used to be under 200k, I saw some recent figures, (forget the exact amount), but it was about 220k. Thus, the units were about 40% dearer (forgetting about stamp duty, agents fees) than the average mortgage.

Back to my favourite line-
Secondly we got one of our builders to construct the project AT COST plus the builder’s wages. He made no profit on the job

A lot of codswallop, in my opinion. Shouting AT COST, but who's cost? If the builder "made no profit on the job", he should have been down the pub getting drunk or playing with his children, instead of working bloody hard in a dangerous job and dealing with subbies. If you suggest that any builder, in the middle of a huge building boom, would be working for nothing, well, consider the simple rules of supply and demand. In short supply, costs of labour, materials go up. To suggest that a builder would forgoe 40k (about six or eight months worth of wages to the average builder, I would presume), would mean that MY would consider working eight hours a day, for six months, for no income. Personally, I wouldnt do it, nor ask anyone else to work for nothing. Fact is, everyone in business will pass on unprofitable deals (unless they are treated as a loss leader)

But, hey, it must have been really, really and truly extremely lucky to find that builder with the pure heart of gold, particularly considering that you write later,

During this time construction costs also rose due to our property boom.

The following paragraph has only two sentences in it, yet they contradict each other brilliantly.

Why haven’t the clients in our 64 other projects sprung to our defense and said how good we are? As far as I know, only one other current client is a participant on this forum.

Why haven't the other clients sprung to your defense? Well we could always speculate........ But then you mention that only one is a participant on this forum. So perhaps there is your answer. Strangely, if I was a pm for hire, I would be actively promoting somersoft to all of my current, past and future clients.

Another favourite of mine was

It was impossible to be aware of the problem prior to purchasing this property.

What an absolute load of crap. The pile of crap in that last statement is incredibly high. Now lets see, we all can do building/pest/survey prior to exchange/deposit, so why not soil? $300 insurance policy sounds a lot better than proceeding with a $1M development on quicksand.

How about write it in the contract? How about finding it out in your due diligence prior to entering into a legal contract, or at least finding out about it prior to going unconditional? "Impossible", no, "not investigated properly", I would conclude.

Of course you can put any clause in a contract of sale. The question is whether the vendor would accept it.

But, a better question is why should a vendor, and a pm with an express opinion on immediate construction would accept the contract without it.

If it was going to set back 30k and 3 months, did this suggest another round of changing numbers in the spreadsheet, to check out the newest feasability study? Particularly since time was obviously of the essence to al.

The lessons- do your due diligence carefully. Chose an experienced development manager and do not attempt to trade property in a falling market.

Due diligence, of course, extend it past the da, to potential construction problems off the A3 page. Experienced dm, of course. Have you suggested to all of your other 63 current projects not to sell, and advising all future clients with a buy, build, sell strategy to change?

I am sure you want to understand what went on as a learning experince. That is one of the great things about this forum, we can all learn from each other. But I am not going to respond to your questions becuase they relate to a client's private business.

The learning experience is what AL wanted as a student, with you, the experienced pm, teaching and guiding him through the huge maze that he was presented with.

As for not responding, well you have already done a bit of that.

If I were to answer your questions, I am certain would find there would be appropriate answers to each of your questions.

Such is a discussion forum. Are we being a little evasive on the hard questions, and answering the littlies?

In distillation, imho, the problems were,
i) Poor due diligence, particularly with regard to the soil.
ii) Insufficient profit margin, that was eaten up, if it ever existed at all
iii) Feasibility study not reexamined with the due diligence it deserved after soil problem was finally realised,
iv) An intention to sell, probably due to the very low yield of this type of investment.
v) An oversupply of nice new units on the market. They are now a dime a dozen everywhere, in an oversupplied market. Unfortunately, many other projects are part way through construction, and will again depress markets and rents in the next year or two.

Is there any reason why MY would not like to answer the immortal words of a redhead, "please explain"?

Horny discussion!
Interested to hear MY but just want to reply to some previous posts. I am a small time developer (I HATE that word applied to me as we build and keep so are therefore investors). Some people spoke of developers needing to see onto the future and building for the future gains. This is the great undoing of developers. We hear stories of how these guys made big but not how they lost big. One of the reasons for their loss (as well as overextension, finance probs, etc) is trying to predict the furture.
Any and I mean any project - be it reno or development - needs to be costed and the profit based on todays numbers. You can not base it on predicted rises. And the profit needs to be high enough to swallow any market decline. The profit margin is in fact a hedge. And if all things go according to plan, champagne flows, otherwise it doesn't.
I am only a babe by most yardsticks, but we are crawling well.

rambada said:
... And the profit needs to be high enough to swallow any market decline. The profit margin is in fact a hedge.

What's the minimum margin profit (in %) figure you'd require to go ahead with the development or reno?

Thanks,
James.

wrappack said:
Firsly, my condolences go out to AL, whose development has faltered. This is very sad to hear, and I wish you all the best in the future.

I have no problem with MY charging fees, and am quite aware that the property market, and in particularly the subsection of development is massively leveraged, so to magnify both losses and gains.

Reading and rereading the posts, though, many statements seem to confuse me so much to consider that something smells awfully like an off trout.

"tax free" usually means equity locked up, or a financial dodgy scam or investment. Occasionally it means tax paid (as in the case of imputation credits). Be wary when you see those magic two words put together. The average person in the street loves to hear them, and hence, a lot of professionals love to spruik with them.

Comments such as this, placed in a public forum about members (whose identities were not substantiated, can hardly be construed in any way, shape or form as "We act professionally"

My favourite line from MY was

To me this sounds like discounting your fees, but, then,

Could these variations be directly, or indirectly related to the previously mentioned 'discounts'?

The average home loan used to be under 200k, I saw some recent figures, (forget the exact amount), but it was about 220k. Thus, the units were about 40% dearer (forgetting about stamp duty, agents fees) than the average mortgage.

Back to my favourite line-

A lot of codswallop, in my opinion. Shouting AT COST, but who's cost? If the builder "made no profit on the job", he should have been down the pub getting drunk or playing with his children, instead of working bloody hard in a dangerous job and dealing with subbies. If you suggest that any builder, in the middle of a huge building boom, would be working for nothing, well, consider the simple rules of supply and demand. In short supply, costs of labour, materials go up. To suggest that a builder would forgoe 40k (about six or eight months worth of wages to the average builder, I would presume), would mean that MY would consider working eight hours a day, for six months, for no income. Personally, I wouldnt do it, nor ask anyone else to work for nothing. Fact is, everyone in business will pass on unprofitable deals (unless they are treated as a loss leader)

But, hey, it must have been really, really and truly extremely lucky to find that builder with the pure heart of gold, particularly considering that you write later,

The following paragraph has only two sentences in it, yet they contradict each other brilliantly.

Why haven't the other clients sprung to your defense? Well we could always speculate........ But then you mention that only one is a participant on this forum. So perhaps there is your answer. Strangely, if I was a pm for hire, I would be actively promoting somersoft to all of my current, past and future clients.

Another favourite of mine was

What an absolute load of crap. The pile of crap in that last statement is incredibly high. Now lets see, we all can do building/pest/survey prior to exchange/deposit, so why not soil? $300 insurance policy sounds a lot better than proceeding with a $1M development on quicksand.

How about write it in the contract? How about finding it out in your due diligence prior to entering into a legal contract, or at least finding out about it prior to going unconditional? "Impossible", no, "not investigated properly", I would conclude.

But, a better question is why should a vendor, and a pm with an express opinion on immediate construction would accept the contract without it.

If it was going to set back 30k and 3 months, did this suggest another round of changing numbers in the spreadsheet, to check out the newest feasability study? Particularly since time was obviously of the essence to al.

Due diligence, of course, extend it past the da, to potential construction problems off the A3 page. Experienced dm, of course. Have you suggested to all of your other 63 current projects not to sell, and advising all future clients with a buy, build, sell strategy to change?

The learning experience is what AL wanted as a student, with you, the experienced pm, teaching and guiding him through the huge maze that he was presented with.

As for not responding, well you have already done a bit of that.

Such is a discussion forum. Are we being a little evasive on the hard questions, and answering the littlies?

In distillation, imho, the problems were,
i) Poor due diligence, particularly with regard to the soil.
ii) Insufficient profit margin, that was eaten up, if it ever existed at all
iii) Feasibility study not reexamined with the due diligence it deserved after soil problem was finally realised,
iv) An intention to sell, probably due to the very low yield of this type of investment.
v) An oversupply of nice new units on the market. They are now a dime a dozen everywhere, in an oversupplied market. Unfortunately, many other projects are part way through construction, and will again depress markets and rents in the next year or two.

Is there any reason why MY would not like to answer the immortal words of a redhead, "please explain"?

Very interesting analysis.
To clarify some points.
1. the builder did work for wages and no profit margin - why? becuase he did me a favour as he was doing 2 other projects for us.
2. Sufficient profit margin was allowed if you were to hold on to the project and not sell and pay agents commision and GST. The initial intention of our clients was to build and hold as an investment in the long term. This was changed for personal circumstances and the proerties were sold at a "fire sale price" in a poor market.

3. The land was purchased at a good price. 3 old houses on similar size blocks were sold without DA's in the following months for more tha we paid for a block with permits.

Dwellings were built as cheaply as we could and replacement cost for the project would now be 20% more than Al's cost. That does not mean the market will pay for it today.

I must disagree with the firesale prices; the unit I sold sat on the market for serveral months, before selling at the "realistic market" price for a unit that was undersized for average. If it was a fire sale then the price if sold today would higher, it is not. In fact the the information I have buyer is trying to wiggle out of the sale....if it was such as fire sale bargan then the buyer would be more than proceed with the settlement.

An analysis of the analysis.

To clarify some points.
1. the builder did work for wages and no profit margin - why? becuase he did me a favour as he was doing 2 other projects for us.
2. Sufficient profit margin was allowed if you were to hold on to the project and not sell and pay agents commision and GST. The initial intention of our clients was to build and hold as an investment in the long term. This was changed for personal circumstances and the proerties were sold at a "fire sale price" in a poor market.
3. The land was purchased at a good price. 3 old houses on similar size blocks were sold without DA's in the following months for more tha we paid for a block with permits.

1) I do not believe any builder will do anything for cost, in a booming market, unless his quoted price, his cost price will allow him to pay for his costs of running his business, his time and effort, and a profit margin. To suggest he cut 40k off his margin, would suggest that he would be willing to work for six months for no pay.
2) Sufficient profit margin was allowed if you were to hold on to the project and not sell and pay agents commission and GST. Perhaps this was a huge problem in your feasability study presented to your client. Gst 10% (okay, you may have collected 5% along the way, so lets call it 5%), agents fees 2.5%, holding costs (say two-three months to sell, 2 months to settle =4-5 months at probably 8% interest)=3%. Thus, your feasability study was out by 5+2.5+3=10.5% Point (c) raised earlier by AL suggested that he only needs a profit margin of 9-13%

So Michael, of Metropole, why would you suggest to a virgin developer to jump into a project with a projected profit margin of 9-13% (and lets face it, it always takes longer and more $ than anyone planned for), while simultaneously and conveniently not mentioning 10.5% of the costs to the client? And this is even before the stuff up with the soil test? Thus, a development was allowed to proceed that had a potential profit margin of minus 1.5% to positive 2.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rambada posted

Any and I mean any project - be it reno or development - needs to be costed and the profit based on todays numbers. You can not base it on predicted rises. And the profit needs to be high enough to swallow any market decline. The profit margin is in fact a hedge. And if all things go according to plan, champagne flows, otherwise it doesn't.

Well said. The profit margin is not just margin, it is a hedge against bad market moves.

3) I have no problem with your figures on the resale of the other properties, nor that a large problem is the market which has well and truly turned, which is why we need a (potential) profit margin of 20+% AFTER selling costs have been removed.

You quoted my previous post as

Very interesting analysis.

May I request a favour? Would you, as proprietor of Metropole, post an analysis of your initial feasability study, soil analysis (or total lack therof), and reasoning behind totally ignoring any and all selling and holding costs in this project?

Reactions: asy
wrappack said:
post an analysis of your initial feasability study, soil analysis (or total lack therof), and reasoning behind totally ignoring any and all selling and holding costs in this project?

Am I the only person who feels that the tone of this thread has turned from one of being a reasonably beneficial, educational, one into quite a vicious witch hunt. The most recent postings on this thread do not sit easily with me.

Michael has been a valued contributor to the Somersoft Forum for YEARS now and what ever lessons may have been learnt he is NOT deserving of the public mud slinging and muck raking attempts that this thread has degenerated into.

I'm with you Duncan.

I have raised concerns.

I am biased. I went to Michael's course in Melbourne in June, and learnt heaps. It was a very valuable course. And in reviewing the course CDs three months later, I'm picking up on a lot of things which I had forgotten.

Wrappack raised some valid points- though I felt some of the language was much more emotive than I like in this forum, and seemed to do damage to what may otherwise have been perceived as a reasoned argument.

wrappack said:
An analysis of the analysis.

May I request a favour? Would you, as proprietor of Metropole, post an analysis of your initial feasability study, soil analysis (or total lack therof), and reasoning behind totally ignoring any and all selling and holding costs in this project?

Wrappak. You may request the favour, but from your critical tone, I don't really think it is a favour you are requesting so I am not going to comply

Again you are making many assumptions about what I included and what was ignored and what has transpired. For example holding costs were included (not totally ignored as you suggest) and as the project was not going to be sold, the GST components of all costs was included, and with no input credits allowed but GST on sale was allowed.

If this is to be a learning experience and not a crucifiction, I would think you would want to learn lessons to extrapolate to other situations, and I am prepared to continue my part of the discussion in this vein. But I am not comfortable with the tone of your "analysis" as it does not sound like you are offering anything constructive in your posts.

PLease share with us your development experiences and help contribute something positive to the forum.

Hi all,

Personally, I’ve learnt a lot from this thread and don’t see why it has to turn personal. Should it has to then, it would be a matter between Al and MY. Wouldn’t you agree?

I want to thank Al for giving to all of us the opportunity to learn from his experience. Al, you’re a gentleman and I appreciate all your comments and notes. I understand this was a bad experience for you and your family. However, I feel you also had learnt a lot from it. As the say goes: What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!. I hope this is true for you too. I wish you all the best in your future investments and developments. I have no doubts that you’ll make your snow ball bigger and bigger as time goes by. Thank you again for passing this experience onto us. No everybody does it for free.

Secondly, I’d like to thank MY. You also have contributed to our learning and I don’t think you deserve some comments that have being made lately. From this thread, I believe you acted with integrity. Moreover, I think you and your company behaved better than many other companies I’ve seen in the past. Though, I have to say I believe that beside all your expertise in the field, you made a mistake in this project and that cost Al money. It also has to be said that you took some actions to alleviate Al’s pain and I commend you for that. However, based on what I have read here, I don’t think those actions were big enough (IMHO). As a result, you lost a client.

To finish, I would like to share with you what I’ve learnt from this post:

1/ No matter how good, experience and reputable your PM is, if he/she miscalculates or makes a mistake, it is you who pays for it. It is like a Casino: The house always wins :). Perhaps, in those cases, one shouldn’t be charged a commission… Kind of what Steve Navra does. He doesn’t charge fees if his Fund doesn’t out perform the index.

2/ Potentially, developments will take longer than previously though, will cost more and will be less profitable (in the short time at least).

3/ I’d use Metropole’s services if I decide to do a development (I have no experience in thess matters) though, I’ll be checking and questioning every bit of info presented to me.

Regards,

James.

Michael Yardney wrote
Wrappak. You may request the favour, but from your critical tone, I don't really think it is a favour you are requesting so I am not going to comply

Perhaps by delivering more details others may be convinced like myself.
There are many i believe sitting on the sidelines waiting for responses and ignoring them doesnt make for a strong case Michael
Why is Wrappak in your view critcal when he seeks to understand by looking at errors or posible errors of the past to project into the future and perhaps avoid these mistakes. Maybe there were no mistakes as such but there seems lot not clearly explained.
Maybe wrppack cant be convinced but if you believe you are right then others can make up there own mind if you give details.
Michael, if you deciede to continue or not, your contribution has been useful and instructive and I would encourage you to not be defensive if someone doesnt agree with your remarks. Rather present more information to support your statements

rambada said:
Horny discussion!
Interested to hear MY but just want to reply to some previous posts. I am a small time developer (I HATE that word applied to me as we build and keep so are therefore investors). Some people spoke of developers needing to see onto the future and building for the future gains. This is the great undoing of developers. We hear stories of how these guys made big but not how they lost big. One of the reasons for their loss (as well as overextension, finance probs, etc) is trying to predict the furture.
I am only a babe by most yardsticks, but we are crawling well.

I think the above suits your particular circumstances as a small time build/hold developer/investor whereas most developers are build/sell speculators and what they do is not called 'predicting the future'.

But speaking of timing, i think developers will start looking for bargain sites soon (next 2 years) and preparing to complete when the existing oversupply is taken up and the beginning of the next upward property cycle is underway. (2-5 years) or maybe landbank if they find a suitable site at a suitable price and wait till conditions are a bit better. This applies to the property market as well as building costs which are high at the moment but are cyclic like everything else.

If you want to move into the bigtime you might have to change your mindset Rambada as not any development is ok at any time.

Regardless, all the best in the future.

Last edited:
I do make any apologies for anyone who took any of my posts to be of a nasty tone. This was not my intention in any way. I always strive to seek information and clarification based on logic, reason, and accountability, and I felt that certain aspects were brushed over in the discussion.

Michael wrote of my post
Again you are making many assumptions about what I included and what was ignored and what has transpired. For example holding costs were included (not totally ignored as you suggest) and as the project was not going to be sold, the GST components of all costs was included, and with no input credits allowed but GST on sale was allowed.

Yes, this is true, that I made many assumptions, some of which were bound to be incorrect, as I have not viewed the feasability study, let alone studied it as intently as yourself and AL had.

I was basing part of my post, on
2. Sufficient profit margin was allowed if you were to hold on to the project and not sell and pay agents commision and GST.

This seemed to me that agents commission, holding costs, legal costs and GST were not counted in the analysis.

Another point that I would like to make is that it is important to think of exit strategies, as opposed to an exit strategy. If the strategy was a very long term buy and hold, this had certain repurcussions.

If all exit strategies were considered, ie buy and hold, long term rent, short term lease, etc, then the feasability study could have examined and reflected each of these, instead of assuming that the long term buy and hold would be fine.

Once again, no malice or sarcasm is intended, just clarification.

Why I took offence was because of comments such as

wrappack said:
me so much to consider that something smells awfully like an off trout.

A lot of codswallop, in my opinion. Shouting AT COST, but who's cost?

why haven't other clients sprung to your denfence

Are we being a little evasive on the hard questions, and answering the littlies?

Other clients have not sprung to my defence becuase I do not know of any other of our clients who are members of the forum. I have contributed to this foum for 4 years to be part of a community, not to gain clients.

There is no doubt that this project did not go as originally planned and was very disappointing for all concerned.

In property development if the project is more risky we would expect to see a higher reward.

In this particular case the brief was the clients (AL and his partner) wanted to develop a property to keep as a long term investment. This is why we allowed a lower margin and did not include holding costs after construction or GST on sales. If you purchase land at below market cost in a good area and build at a fair price and intend to hold in the long term, this is not a risky venture in my mind and allows for a lower profit margin.

There are other offers I made to AL to assist his plight which have not been mentioned and will probably remain so.

I hope everyone has learned some lessons from this. I don't think showing a 30 page feasibility which contained a sensinsitivity analysis and lots of assumptions would add anything. It was a feasibility - that's all not a strict budget.

Michael Yardney said:
Why I took offence was because of comments such as

wrappack said:
me so much to consider that something smells awfully like an off trout.

A lot of codswallop, in my opinion. Shouting AT COST, but who's cost?

why haven't other clients sprung to your denfence

Are we being a little evasive on the hard questions, and answering the littlies?

Other clients have not sprung to my defence becuase I do not know of any other of our clients who are members of the forum. I have contributed to this foum for 4 years to be part of a community, not to gain clients.

There is no doubt that this project did not go as originally planned and was very disappointing for all concerned.

In property development if the project is more risky we would expect to see a higher reward.

In this particular case the brief was the clients (AL and his partner) wanted to develop a property to keep as a long term investment. This is why we allowed a lower margin and did not include holding costs after construction or GST on sales. If you purchase land at below market cost in a good area and build at a fair price and intend to hold in the long term, this is not a risky venture in my mind and allows for a lower profit margin.

There are other offers I made to AL to assist his plight which have not been mentioned and will probably remain so.

I hope everyone has learned some lessons from this. I don't think showing a 30 page feasibility which contained a sensinsitivity analysis and lots of assumptions would add anything. It was a feasibility - that's all not a strict budget.

1)I would love to see the feasibility.
2)Wouldn't you follow a strict budget proceeding with a developement.
3)This may be a really naive question but why would you bother going through the whole process of development if GST / Sales commission hasn't been factored into the feasibility.
Sounds like a waste of time to me.

always_learning said:
Yes a valid point, I paid a premium price for the land (more than if it was sold for today) with DA/permits in Jan 2003 believing based on the feasiblity study that this would be a "quick" nine month project. If all had gone to plan, I could have marketed the properties in the Oct/Nov 2003 and achieved a good profit if I went to go down the selling path.

It is a cruel fate that the more problems the project had (muddy soil, dodgie carpenters, rain delays, architects mistakes etc), the longer it took and more costs that were incured the more my wife was affirmed her belief that I was being dupped. Thus on completion my wife had had enough, and insisted that they all be sold for $1. As I said the biggest lost was in the act of selling not the on-paper loss begin the difference between final values and the total costs of development.

AL
Was a contingency sum factored into the cost. Usually a 3.5% contingency is added onto the cost. (depending on the type of contract you sign)
From what I'm reading this sounds like a high risk development (Reference made to no ground investigation & contract not being tight enough). Therefore i would say between 7.5% to even 10% contingency.

The above is only my opinion

Back