Million ready to brave the housing bubble

That wasn't so hard was it

what do you mean? I didnt think it would be hard. I hesitated because I don't like giving investment opinions without knowing a persons attitudes, finances,time frames and objectives.

Believe it or not I'm actually very risk averse. This has helped me shy away from investments that look overpriced and instead find ones that are undervalued. Investments that the herd hasn't discovered yet.
But this is what I do. Its not for everyone.

LB

You make the most $$$ at the least risk when there is a market imperfection.

Arbitrage is great.

Everyone should get out there and get on any arbitrage opportunity they can.... I especially like the idea that each trade is ZERO risk...

Haha - tongue firmly in cheek.

Arbitrage is great.

I'm lost. Who mentioned anything about arbitrage.
All investments have an element of risk. I make them when I believe the return justifies that level of risk.

This should be what everyone does. Isnt it?

Originally posted by L Bernham

what do you mean? I didnt think it would be hard. I hesitated because I don't like giving investment opinions without knowing a persons attitudes, finances,time frames and objectives.

LB

My comment was meant in the line of "that wasn't so hard " (giving a simple answer to a simple question). I felt you had appropriatly answered my question.

When People ask questions on this forum they do it with the expectation of recieving an answer.

You have a habit of avoiding questions , or asking you own question in response, often on a relatively minor point that the other person has asked , that avoids the main point that have been asked of you .

All advice has to be given and taken with the understanding that a persons attitudes, finances,time frames ,objectives and Abilities vary significantly. This is unstated most of the time

If you are so concerned about giving your "investment opinions " , why are you spending so much time around here giving what so many people percieve as negative investment advice about property investment , when you have minimal knowledge about property investing ? You have given an answer before , but to me that doesn't gel with your actions here.

Giving people negative advice about investments can be as dangerous as giving positive advise about investments. I still havn't forgiven the "financial expert " who told me that investing in property was a waste of time ( in about 95 ). He had university degrees to back up his opinion.

You say that you have come here to learn , however you have managed to antagonised a significant percentage of the community here ( yes , it is a community ). Maybe you have not done this deliberatly , or maybe you think the whole things a bit of a joke , for what ever reason , you will find people less inclined to help you if you continue on in that fashion. Most of the people who I talk to don't reply to your posts , simply because they don't think you are genuine and are only here to stir people.

See Change

Last edited:
why are you spending so much time around here giving what so many people percieve as negative investment advice about property investment , when you have minimal knowledge about property investing ?

i find it difficult to tell when your questions are rhetorical. such as the above. Is this one that I'm supposed to answer?
Its one I would usually ignore because it uses assumptions that arent correct ie "when you have minimal knowledge about property investing". This is an assumption you have made because I have only ever owned one IP. It has nothing to do with other experiences or education I have had.

You'd make a good criminal lawyer.

Seechange: So, Mr Crim, tell me again, why did you shoot the security guard when you robbed the bank
Mr Crim: Uhh, I didnt shoot him, I only shot the tell..., uh, I mean I didnt shoot anyone, I wasn't even anywhere near the bank.

You don't have to answer anything, but maybe if you listened to what people have been saying to you , that might make a good start.

I havn't seen such a prolonged series of ( what can only be politly described as ) hostile replies to someone on an internet forum in the time I've been on the internet.

Interesting all of the people who are querying your posts , are intelligent , logical , and generally restrained people. (well with one or two possible exceptions...:) )
Maybe they've been getting out of bed the wrong side for the last few weeks.

I can't think of any other reason .....

See Change

LB:

WBC is back to A$16 today. Just want to know what is your plan on this stock? Is it still overpriced in your opinion?

Cheers

TGP

My assumptions on the WBC trade

rate increase, share price goes down a lot (due to bond yields rising and lower margins and revenue falling).

rates left the same, share price would not move significantly in either direction.

As I believed rates would rise I saw potential for a 'put' option trade.
My expected return was therefore either postive or nil (less some brokerage and put writers margin)

It turned out better than I expected because on top of the rate rise RBA came out and went on about consumer debt, property bubbles and more rises on the way which made WBC shares fall further than I expected. Those sensationalists in the media also assisted.

This was only ever meant to be a 2-3 day trade and had interest rates not risen that would have been my stop loss.

There were a few other factors that came into play one of them being that the upside of WBC at the time was very minimal due to it being over priced IMHO.

BTW I dont consider this sort of thing "investing" and wouldnt recommend it to anyone. opportunites like this rarely come along.

LB

See change - I just had a scroll back through and can't find any hostile replies from me. Maybe my answers seem hostile because I dont use enough smilies.:) Otherwise I dont really know where all this is coming from. I just want to discuss stuff! :)

Can we get back on track PLEASE? :D

You wanted to know my investment opinion. What did you think?
Valid investment? bad investment ? bad company, overpriced, underpriced? ;)

WBC is back to A$16 today. Just want to know what is your plan on this stock? Is it still overpriced in your opinion?

not too sure. I expected it to overshoot on the downside and recover. I was probably just lucky.

Any guesses would be just that from here on in. If I had to go one way or the other I'd say long term below $15 is its target.
Wealth management may be picking up again but this wont compensate its lower revenues from housing loans which make up the bulk of its revenues.

LB

LB

I was actually referring to hostile replies to you.

Why is this so ?

Havn't had a chance to check out Realeastate com.

Westpac is a logical , well thought out trade.

See Change

LB:

Thanks. Things can be changed very quickly especially Australian economic size is not big enough to set its own directions.

Now, I at least know if interest rate rises, all banks shares as well as defendant shares will be suffered.

Thanks again

TGP

Hi all,

LB,
Many posts ago, you stated that on average you required 6% net on the purchase of an asset. Yes it was a loaded question. This in a time of interest rates at around 6.5%
So for the average house in the average suburb that in the last 22 years has not had such a yield, you would have always considered it (during that period of time) a poor investment, and stayed out of the market.

Basically you say that property is NOW a poor investment, even though by your own criteria it has been for the last 22 years!!

You do not understand property investment at all.

On to your proclaimed win in WBC put options. What risk did you think you had on the claimed $10,000 gamble???(as in $$$$)

For your REA shares, How did they look like they were about to correct at 66 cents???

bye

I'm lost. Who mentioned anything about arbitrage.
All investments have an element of risk. I make them when I believe the return justifies that level of risk.

This should be what everyone does. Isnt it?

I was giving See_Change a tongue in cheek suggestion of an investment idea as he requested from you above.

No one mentioned anything about arbitrage previously.......

Not all investments have an element of risk. That was one of the reasons for my post.

Do some reading about arbitrage....

Originally posted by ToGetProperty
Now, I at least know if interest rate rises, all banks shares as well as defendant shares will be suffered.

Um - not necessarily.

There are no shortage of examples when a company has announced a profit downturn & their share price has gone up - or they have announced a record profit and their share price has fallen.

Bank shares do not necessarily go down when interest rates go up - remember that the bank starts collecting MORE money from mortgagees....but doesn't ncessarily have to pay out more money, depending on how the bank structures its borrowings.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I just realised I hadnt responded to this post -

Bill wrote

For your REA shares, How did they look like they were about to correct at 66 cents???

What one should look at is how far past their moving average they had gone. You can see from the attached chart that at 66 cents it was well above its 30 and 60 day moving average.

http://investor.stockpoint.com/quot...=volume&ind8=noselect&ind9=noselect&x=16&y=10

You can see that every time it had gone a good way past this level it has always retraced. This is where a long term holding can create a short term opportunity (by selling and buying back in on retracement)

This retracement was exacerbated with a well timed interest rate rise and talks of property bubble bursting. This gave the perfect oppportunity to buy back in for the next ride in its upward momentum.
The shares I own now I plan to hold long term. However if frenzied buyers push the price up to levels that bring out profit takers again I will have no hesitation in being the first profit taker and buying back in on retrace. It will now pass its previous peak as many of those who were going to take profits have done so by now.

Once again, I continue to monitor the number of new listings on realestate.com and as soon as I see this dropping consistently I will reduce my holding. But at the moment its still rising so I keep holding. At the moment all I see is that rea.com will be around for a long time as advertising on the web has become an ingrained part of property investment.
I'd be interested to know if there is anyone who has never used this site.

What risk did you think you had on the claimed $10,000 gamble???(as in $$$$)

The risk I had on a $10K gamble was $10K (naturally)
Chances of losing the entire $10K over 2 days - very low
Weighting of $10K against entire portfolio - fairly small
Total possible (realistic ie not $10K) loss as a % of total net worth - 0.25%

LB

L Bernham wrote
I like it because its a simple company, easy to understand and analyse. Not only that, I and many people I know use the product and expect to continue using it through all cycles of the property market (even if just to find rentals)
I have been keeping track of growth by counting new listings each week to ensure that these are staying the same or going up regularly and here are my results.
new listing
8-Nov 18277
1-Nov 16327
25-Oct 18231
18-Oct 17825
11-Oct 14434
4-Oct 18222
27-Sep 14957
20-Sep 11302
13-Sep 14750
6-Sep 15020
30-Aug 14871

For those interested - there were 18390 new properties listed for sale last week (to 22 November). Thats the highest ever.

LB

Back