Miniature Pony

Hi GTF
I definately agree with Brisbaneite.

My boys have been riding since they were 2yo and 4yo (now 16 and 18) the right pony is very important to build and encourage their passion. I would not have bought a pony that nipped or needed a chain halter.

Often as with everything you pay for what you get.......

The experience your children will have can be wonderfull with the right time and attention to detail. Go and chat to the local pony club, often there will be pony's around at this time of year for sale as children move onto larger mounts and you can see them in action.

Please remember to ask about collic and founder as little pony's are often more prone and you really dont want to buy a problem as a first pony.

Good Luck Im sure your children will have lots of fun..
and after all thats the aim!:)

KJ

Hey GTF

We have a pony who's about 10yrs old. We call her our lawnmower as no one rides her and she simply has free reign of our very grassy paddocks. Great life that she's now used to :D

The lady we got her from said she used to be taken around fairs etc so has been ridden in the past. However, I imagine she would need some training to be ridden again- I'm sure the horse experts on here could advise.

If you're serious about wanting a pony PM me- we are considering giving her to a good home and getting something smaller eg: a sheep or two!

Thanks Jacque. We decided to leave the pony for the kids for a while. The majority of advice was don't do it.

We were still looking for a horse for my 16yo. I was waiting for the the right horse to come along - and she did! Christmas Day, my Aunty called me and told me of her horse that had been living at my cousins for several years that needed a new home as my cousin was moving in two weeks. Several people wanted her, the girl who bought her place, the farrier, her neighbours... but my Aunty said first option is me because then she stays int he family. So we said YES!!! and my husband I drove up to Tamworth to her her. She is a 14yo thoroughbred mare and I LOVE HER. She is so sweet and gentle. Gorgeous nature, the kids have all ridden her. She and we, need some education and work! We will get a horse whisperer person in to educate us on how best tow rok with her.

Thanks for all your advice!

Hello GTF, I have had horses for many years.

Personally, I would not buy the horse you saw this morning because it does not sound like a suitable kids pony at all. They should not nip and definately not require a nose chain - I have only ever seen those used on breeding stallions, not kids' ponies! I was 'nipped' by a horse in my late teens, it took a chunk out of my leg and the scar is clearly visible today. You do not want a pony with a tendancy to do this anywhere near your kids.

It is a hard process to purchase a horse and the purchase price is the cheapest part of ownership. Please re read my previous statement x 10. You have feeding, worming, shoeing/trimming, vet bills, rugs, fences, shelter/stable, possible float if you want to transport etc.

When buying for children, you want what is commonly referred to as a 'bombproof schoolmaster'. A been there, done that pony that has safely carried children for many years and is happy to stand quietly whilst children fuss, brush, wash, plait, rug, feed, saddle, lead into the float etc.

What part of Sydney do you live in? I would suggest contacting your local pony club if you have one nearby. This would be a good option to meet experienced horse people and possibly source a good pony that has been around for years and has a good reputation.

I'm married to a horsewoman who rode horses before she walked....I couldn't have said the above advice any better myself.
I would not buy this horse for any child, not even an experienced child...we only use chain on horses when breaking them in...so to us this horse is not broken in properly...sorry to burst your bubble but alarm bells are ringing here....the Local Pony Club is the only option...start there first.

She is a 14yo thoroughbred mare and I LOVE HER. She is so sweet and gentle. Gorgeous nature, the kids have all ridden her. She and we, need some education and work! We will get a horse whisperer person in to educate us on how best tow rok with her.

Thanks for all your advice!

Has she raced at all...if so watch out that's all...needs proper "racing debriefing" you could call it...may already as she is 14yr old and already "kind"...good luck and yes get some expert advice.

Yes she raced when young but she didn't like it so she was sold on. My Aunty got her when she was 5 and had her for many years. Then she went to my cousins for three years. Now us.

Back