Minimum floor area for bath/laundry combo

I am looking for a potential renovator for my IP and have seen 3x1, 4x1 and 5x1s listed. I kind of get 3x1, but 5x1? How is that supposed to work?

Anyway, I was wondering what the minimum floor area is for a bathroom/laundry combo? This would include shower, toilet, laundry tub (that would double as a vanity - not flash) and room for a washing machine. I have seen it done and it was ok I guess. I'm thinking this may be the cheapest way of adding a bathroom to an existing house?

Example of a 5x1 crying out for a second bathroom (and major renovations overall) http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-lynwood-115775747

Ok, so it's a dump and I wouldn't touch it... but it's a 5x1 and has a floor plan ;)

I did a reno of a 3x2m area and fit in everything you said except for a tub.

If you're being space conscious, why try and put in a tub?

I recently converted a 1760x1800 laundry to a combined laundry bathroom. Bought a slimline laundry tub so I could fit the tub, washing machine and shower along the back wall.

I did a lot of research into this as my bathroom guy told me the room was too small to add a shower. The laundry tub is 380mm wide.

I was surprised how the room looked bigger once it was fitted out.

I like that :) the plumb in would be the sane as for a dishwasher wouldn't it?

I exen looked into having a standalone plumbing line coming vertically from the floor which the washing machine hose could fit into and do away with the laundry tub altogether but thought that was going too far just to get another bathroom.

A washing machine doesn't need a laundry trough, it just needs some plumbing for the outlet to connect to - which can be in the floor if you are doing some plumbing work or a vanity for a basin.

Converting a laundry to be a bathroom with a washing machine is possible - I have done a lot of work on where you can put washing machines in closets/cuboards and bathrooms :)

You could do shower over bath or just a shower, vanity and washing machine - this is how many apartments are set up.

242dac0b97ad43ca4101ee6537b6f069.jpg

2352b8599df8d12a99a7d4110dfc876c.jpg

Washing machines in cupboard
b03f4a6385ce7c131ec5add7b8910748.jpg

c9d2a7cd5d3468280962fff5a6798c31.jpg

Thanks westminster. Real nice.

Any issues about privacy if the existing laundry is the only entrance/egress to the back yard?

I would expect so. You'd have to do some clever design like a part room partition for the shower to be behind or blueboard up a wall so that there is a hallway to the outside door and door to the bathroom/laundry.

My understanding is that the overflow from the washing machine could be plumbed into the vanity sink drain pipe... yeah, just like a dishwasher and kitchen sink.

Will need to have a 65 mm dia discharge pipe as you are putting two fixtures into the one pipe. The washing machine is pumping out water at a great rate ie more than the gravity feed of the vanity. A 38 mm outlet simply won't cut it.

Will need to have a 65 mm dia discharge pipe as you are putting two fixtures into the one pipe. The washing machine is pumping out water at a great rate ie more than the gravity feed of the vanity. A 38 mm outlet simply won't cut it.

Duh! Of course I know this. I just set up that exact thing at my current rental... I mean with 65 mm for the discharge pipe. I will have to have a closer look tomorrow at what the plumber did and see if this could work for a bathroom vanity. Oh, and that's why I have a licensed plumber do all that kind of work... :eek:

I would expect so. You'd have to do some clever design like a part room partition for the shower to be behind or blueboard up a wall so that there is a hallway to the outside door and door to the bathroom/laundry.
Hmm. I need the dimensions to see what I can do. I will report back when I have them.

Back