Minimum size for ensuite

Hi all,

I have an outside toilet that sits inside a room, and I would like to convert it into an en-suite accessible internally. It would be about 2.4m long but only just over a metre wide.

Is this too narrow to create what I am looking for? I don't want to extend any further into the existing room otherwise it becomes not very useful.

Attached is the sort of layout I am thinking of, any suggestions on what to do are welcome.

Cheers
Neil

Attachments

• plan.gif
    plan.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,022
Our ensuite in our previous PPOR was about this size
We put the shower screen across from wall to wall, so it was the full width of the room.
We had the toilet against the long wall, rather than against the short wall, but in the same position as you have drawn.
then we took the biggest vanity cupboard we could fit in the middle of the space.
We used a built in mirror as well for more storage space.
We put a heated towel rail on the wall opposite the toilet, and used a sliding door in the middle of the long wall.

It was a very functional layout and space. actually, our ensuite in our new PPOR is about 3x the space, and about 1/2 as functional!

in fact, the only problem we had was that the builder put the toilet roll holder towards the back of the wall, and it was really awkward to reach to.

I just went and measured our ensuite, it is 1.25m wide. I reckon you will get away with 1m clear. We have the same layout as your plan, but have a wall mounted basin instead of a vanity which gives a more spacious look. We have a fairly large, shallow, mirror doors cabinet above the basin.
Marg

Penny/Marg

Thanks for the feedback!!

Good to know it might be workable.

Need to get the builders to give me some quotes now!!

Thanks
Neil.

I just made my separate toilet into a third bathroom, by putting a vanity basin recessed into the wall, pulling down a wall and opening/replacing a shower that was in an alcove of the bathroom to open into the rear wall of the toilet.

I just measured it. 810mm wide by 2710mm long.

you will be fine with that space if you use a cavity slider.

Cost me about $1,200 to date or $1,500 when I get the shower screen in. All my own labour plus a little bit of a plumber for a couple of hours.

Back