Mission brown bricks & windows Advice

Hi everyone.
My house is mission brown brick with mission brown aluminium windows. The block its on is large and I am currently building a unit down the front.

Am am after some advice on:
1) the brown finish on the windows has oxidised. Can these be painted or should I replace them?
2) Should I render the bricks?

I'm guessing that mission brown is not a hot colour at the moment :)
One the unit down the front is built, I'd like to sell both so am keen to start preparing the house now. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,

1) the brown finish on the windows has oxidised. Can these be painted or should I replace them?
Give them a clean to get the oxidisation off and then wipe with ESP from the paint shop (this makes the new paint stick). Mask up with window/s and spray paint with whatever colour you end up going with.

2) Should I render the bricks?
Probably yes.

Any photos you could post up?

I'm guessing that mission brown is not a hot colour at the moment :)
Actually it is hot at the moment (I can't believe it is back) but now it is called chocolate :rolleyes:and has been appearing in kitchens and feature walls for a few years now.

But not on bricks or windows or fences.;)

Pics of mission brown wonder

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 580
  • IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 496
Thanks

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply Propertunity. Am heading up to Bunnings tomorrow so I'll give it a go and post some before and afters.

Yep, render over the brickwork. The render transforms it to the 21st Century.

Also, I would chop out the circular brickwork, to give more of a feel to the conversion.

F

Good idea. I'm going to square it of. There is another arch in the porch. It must have been a real fashion statement when it was built :)

Give them a clean to get the oxidisation off and then wipe with ESP from the paint shop (this makes the new paint stick). Mask up with window/s and spray paint with whatever colour you end up going with.

I have the same issue with some sliding doors. What do you do with the rubbers in the glass? Do they get spray painted or masked?

Yep, render over the brickwork. The render transforms it to the 21st Century.

Also, I would chop out the circular brickwork, to give more of a feel to the conversion.

F

i disagree. i reckon it looks like a rendered 1980s house, myself.

trying to hide what was once a feature always fails.

the best thing you can do is dress up the inside and pick appropriate planting around the outside. okay, so brown windows are a little dated and are easily changed, but don't go doing them white or anything...m'kay? try a muted tone and avoid highlighting them because it will make the brick darker again.

the gutters and roof could be a better colour, money spent here could be cheaper and just as effective as rendering the house.

but then again, eastern states project homes are well naff impo, so there's not much you can do from my perspective to fix it other than demo and rebuild....:D

Good point wobbycarly, I was wondering about that myself. I'm waiting on a quote to 1( replace the windows completely, 2) replace the rubbers and seals.

If 2) is reasonable in price, I will try the painting and then have the seals relaced with a matching colour.

Cheers

Back