More Computer Problems

Ok so last week l had all these weird files turn up on my email. My email provider has now been able to remove them.
Now my printer will not work. so l uninstalled the printer and went through the installation process. I now get a window pop up saying the printer cannot be installed because Windows Installer is disabled.
I have spent 4 hours jumping through hoops trying to solve this to no avail.
I cannot even find windows installer on my computer and l have tried system restore with no success.
Does anyone have a solution for me?
I really appreciate any help.
Thanks
yadreamin

go to Control Panel>administrative tools>Services
in the opened window scroll down to the bottom and locate windows installer
look at the startup status, it should be manual.
if it's not, double click on it and change the startup type

yours probably will have 'disabled' there

Thankyou for those 2 sugestions. l had to walk away from my computer last night it was taking its toll. l kept saying to myself its only a box with wires and lights. in the finish it was a box that did nothing.
l am on a compute at work now and just wanted to say ta:)
l will attempt another strike on my box with wires and lights this arvo.
cheers
yadreamin

Sounds like you got a virus, I would do some googling while at work, google the symptoms, it may be a well known virus with a proven remedy.

Worst case, you can always do a windows repair.

restore the full c drive image you did last month. :)

you shouldn't lose any data because you would have ensured all that got stored on d drive.
if you do lose data, restore from last full and daily differential backup.

time to resolve issue.......less than 15 minutes. :p
time consumed by backup strategy......
data = fully automated....
c drive images = less than 5 minutes a month.

I think l am sorted now at least l have my printer working again.
l really am considering a new computer as this old girl is really struggling
thanks heaps
cheers
yadreamin

thanks heaps
cheers
yadreamin
Well, mine is definately a male because it is very slow sometimes and is also stubborn.:p

thanks heaps
cheers
yadreamin

You could consider an SSD drive as a replacement for the old girl.
It''s like a new lease on life , faster access time, quieter more silent and obedient :)

Soooooooooooo 2 steps forward 10 backwards
I have now gone to use my windows media player to view some family pics from a dvd and it wont work.
I have tried system restore and it says there were no changes to restore.
I try to set win media player as a default and it wont accept it.
Quick time is or appears to be installed but it wont work either on playing the dvd but has "taken over" the pics that l have in a folder on my desk top.
I have run a full system scan and its fine just fine!!
I was informed of the threat I.D ten T error .
I am sure l have it.
I D 1 0 T to spell it out:eek:
Do l need to get a brick from the garden to fix this compute once and for all:(
cheers
yadreamin

Do l need to get a brick from the garden to fix this compute once and for all
cheers

-Stop: Hold on the brick.

-Stop: am mailing you my computer techie, he is very sweet, very patient, + cute. Send him back when done.

Stop.

:)

ok after hours on this l have now found l do not have a DVD decoder compatable with windows media player 10.
l have no up grade available[cannot even locate a decoder]
l would like to know if someone can guide me to a site where l can get this for free.
windows site does not seem to be able to help me or its not clear if its free.
I have preformed the decoder check up and have followed all instructions to no avail.
l also checked geekstogo but nothing there either or nothing that made sense to me.
I admit this is probably an idiot error:eek:
can you help
cheers[with brick aimed at computer]
yadreamin

Download the k-lite codec pack from here - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm
OR
download VLC which is a player like WMP but handles just about any video format thrown at it without codec problems.

The pics-
Right click on a pic and click on Open With-Choose Program. Pick the program you want from the menu that appears and tick the box that says "always associate these type of files with this program" - OK

Something to try -
Open Event Viewer - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Click on System in the left hand pane and look at the Red cross events that are listed. It records all system events so you need to backtrack using the times of the crashes as a guide. If you select the events and right click < Properties the Properties window will have the error details

A bit of clean up to make sure you ain't got bugs in your PC.
Download the following and run them -
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/ (stand alone anti virus programme that doesn't install)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (malware cleanup programme)
http://www.combofix.org/download.php (another malware cleanup programme)
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php (anti spyware)

Download the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. Just double click the downloaded file and let it do it's stuff.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

Delete anything these programmes find.

Download http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Under Cleaner in both the Applications and Window tabs - run Analyze and delete everything it finds.
Under Registry - Scan for Issues then Fix Selected Issues that it finds.
Under Tools - Uninstall anything you don't want/need or shouldn't be there.

Shut down PC for 5 mins then reboot.

You could also run checkdisc.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Choose - To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

If you still have problems you may need to run Hijack this and post the report on a website for them to see if they can find out what the problem is. You could try updating all your drivers or upgrading programmes to latest versions, or you could have corrupt, missing or damaged files, or some programmes are conflicting with each other. Also, some recent Microsoft updates have been causing problems.

Try the cleaning up stuff above first and see how you go.

Olly

Olly,
spent a couple of hours last night going through your list and my computer is running really well this morning BUT still will not play a dvd:eek:
No virus,s were found anywhere.
I have windows media 10 installed but obviously no decoder. I did download 1 from the codec web site but thats not working for some reason. I might go back to that site and take another look.
l will win this battle.
cheers
yadreamin

Olly,
spent a couple of hours last night going through your list and my computer is running really well this morning BUT still will not play a dvd:eek:
No virus,s were found anywhere.
I have windows media 10 installed but obviously no decoder. I did download 1 from the codec web site but thats not working for some reason. I might go back to that site and take another look.
l will win this battle.
cheers
yadreamin
Am I right in saying PC works fine and the DVD fires up, but the problem is WMP won't show the pics? Does it show videos OK? If so I don't think there's anything wrong with WMP.
WMP isn't usually used for viewing pics - have you always done it this way? Is this the first time you've tried doing it from a DVD? Do you have any other programmes you can choose from instead?
Probably best to use a programme made specifically for viewing/managing pics. Here's a couple of good freebies.
http://picasa.google.com.au/
http://www.irfanview.com/ (the programme as well as the plugins)

See if that sorts things out.
Olly

Just had a couple of thoughts - are the pics on the DVD - files (jpg's, gifs etc), pics made into a slideshow or made into a DVD movie format? You may be able to just pop it into the DVD player attached to your TV and see the pics.

Can you explore the DVD in Windows Explorer? It's probably in Start-All Programs - Accessories and then probably your D drive if you only have 1 HD that's not partitioned.

Olly

ok Olly what l did today was....
I enabled active x which then allowed me to download all the updates for media player 11:. That made a difference to say the least.:eek:
then l tried other dvds which l had played before on my compute and it worked.
yehaaaaaaaaaaa.
so off l went to hardley normal with the 2 different disk 1 played the other didnt.
as my compute is 2002 it only plays dvd-
todays computes play dvd- and dvd+
the dvd that wouldn,t work was a +
so the lovely young fella at HN offered to transfer my dvd+ to dvd- so l could view it. He charged me the total some of $5 which included the new dvds discs
My hero:)

What an event its been. But l think my compute is running better than ever due to all the cleaning etc.
So in a way its been worth it
I did download piccaso which is fabulous so
A VERY BIG THANKYOU TO YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP:)
as it turned out it was more a I.D.1.0.T error than anything else.
cheers
yadreamin

Back