more than 1 business?

Hey ppl,

Atm I am a sole trader with an ABN,
Now I want to branch out into more aspect of my business,
And preferably "start another business" with a new name.

Can this be done?
Is this easy to do?
Do I need a new ABN? even if a dif business name?

Thanks

you can have as many businesses as you can handle! maybe a chat to your accountant to see what might be the best structure for whatever expansion you are planning?

ASIC fees.
New constitution.
New accounts and their fees.
Accounting fees.
BAS.

i'm winding back a lof of my business structures. CBF'd with it all.

Thanks for the replys.

Basically I am a landscaper, but 70% of calls is for retaining walls so I want to sort of branch out into that field with advertising etc etc.
As with machinery and I enjoy the construction works I thought would be a good way to go..

Is there some reason why you wouldn't do that under your current business name? You might also want to think about a company for 2 reasons 1: you might start making a lot more money ( talk to your accountant; and 2: to keep yourself legally separate from the business but this depends on a few other factors ( check with your solicitor) . You can change to a company under your current business name.

I know it cane seem expensive paying hundreds of dollars to an accountant and solicitor but in my experience it is worth it. We started out with a little sole-trader business and built it up to a company in 2 years. Since then (now 10 years) we have added a new company for another business and a partnership for another!

Good luck with it all!

oh yeah, and don't forget public liability insurance and maybe even some kind of indemnity insurance in case a wall collapses!...you never know and it's always best to cover all your bases:)

If you are a company maybe consider doing all under one company but buy seperate business names eg AAA Pty Ltd (company) "trading as" youyouyou (business name)

Back