Mould in IP - Tenants want landlord to pay for cleaner

Hi everyone, I'm after people's perspectives on the following situation.

My mother is self-managing an IP in Townsville, Qld, where she also lives. As most people are probably aware, Townsville has had torrential rain for well over a week and has been largely cut off from the rest of the world, much like Ingham, an hour away. For people who haven't visited or lived in North Queensland or similar places, it is hard to understand the humidity that exists every day even at the best of times.

Because of the recent weather, it is much worse than usual and is causing mould to grow everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Walls, doors, clothes, my mother says her lounge suite is completely covered in mould.

A few days ago, her tenants contacted her and said that as mould was growing in the house, they would like a cleaner to be paid for to clean the house. My mother's initial response was that everyone else in Townsville was in the same situation and that as tenants it was their responsibility to keep the house in a clean condition.

She then rang the RTA to ask them about the situation and they told her that the situation it is the landlord's responsibility. I don't know how detailed my mother was with the details she gave to the RTA but I do wonder if they misunderstood the situation, as I can't see how internal cleaning can be the landlord's responsibility. By my understanding, people in the RTA call centres are all located in Brisbane where humidity is never anything like it is in NQ, and the thought that black mould growing throughout a house is a normal occurrence probably doesn't occur to them.

I wonder if they thought that it was a house-specific problem and that is why they regarded it as a landlord responsibility. In this case, if there was something wrong with the house that caused excessive moisture to build up inside and cause mould to grow, I would expect that the landlord would be responsible for fixing that situation. However, I don't see how the landlord can be held responsible for what the weather alone is causing, when most of North Queensland is in the same situation.

I'm a landlord myself and agree with my mother that when a tenant moves into a property, it is provided in a clean and liveable state and it is the tenant's responsibility to keep it that way. I have also pointed out to my mother that if she does clean the house at her expense she is leaving herself open in the future to all sorts of petty requests.

What do other SS readers think?

As an added note, the tenants also have a large fishtank in their living room. I have kept fish for many years and I believe that they do contribute to the humidity in the air. I lived in Brisbane for a number of years and the only time I saw mould grow on a wall was in a room where a friend had a number of tanks where he was breeding fish.

I suggested to my mother that she should point out to the tenants that she should not be responsible for the cleaning when they have deliberately entered an added source of humidity into the house themselves.

I believe the landlord is responsible for the removal of the mould.

Mould is a health risk, councils have condemed house because of mould.

It does not matter if the mould was not there when the tenant moved in, the tenant did not cause the mould, the mould was caused by the enviroment.

I would have thought Landlord responsibility also. This is something beyond the control of the tenant and I don't think forms part of general cleaning and upkeep of the property for the tenant.

The tenant that lived in my unit before I purchased it never turned the exhaust fan on in the bathroom and the ceiling was absolutely covered in mould (why is there no spew-face emoticon??). I'm pretty sure she had part of her bond withheld to fix this but it was obviously her fault.

In this instance I would say it would be the Landlords expense as it is to do with environment not tenant irresponsibility.

However, I don't see how the landlord can be held responsible for what the weather alone is causing, when most of North Queensland is in the same situation.

If it's caused by the weather alone then it's clearly not the tenants fault so doesn't the landlord must assume responsibility? Also, what does the fish tank have to do with anything when you've already stated that most of North Queensland is having the same problem?

Maybe land lords insurance will cover some of the cost.

If it's caused by the weather alone then it's clearly not the tenants fault so doesn't the landlord must assume responsibility? Also, what does the fish tank have to do with anything when you've already stated that most of North Queensland is having the same problem?

Maybe land lords insurance will cover some of the cost.

In NQ, mould to some extent or other is a part of life. It is simply more of a problem at the moment because of the recent weather. I don't see how the landlord should be held responsible for this. If someone rents a property in a particularly dry dusty town, it isn't the landlord's responsibility to clean the IP when it gets really dusty inside, so health implications aside, why should a landlord have to clean a property with mould simply because it is in a more humid area? And if the tenants are so concerned about the humidity and resulting mould, why are they potentially contributing to it themselves with the fishtank?

I take it the property does not have aircon. Aircon dries everything out. Something to consider.

The property has a number of aircon units. I'm assuming the tenants use it as Townsville is almost unbearable without it because of the year-round levels of humidity. Very few people don't have aircon.

Townsville has had torrential rain for well over a week and has been largely cut off from the rest of the world, much like Ingham, an hour away. For people who haven't visited or lived in North Queensland or similar places, it is hard to understand the humidity that exists every day even at the best of times.

Because of the recent weather, it is much worse than usual and is causing mould to grow everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Walls, doors, clothes, my mother says her lounge suite is completely covered in mould.

So it is the freak occurence of excess mould which you are asked mto be responsible for, caused by freak weather... I guess you can try and fight the RTA on it...

i have never been to Nth Qld, and have never seen what you are describing, but it does not sound very inviting to say the least !

I take it the property does not have aircon. Aircon dries everything out. Something to consider.

Good point. Even if the air is cooler at times due to the rain my policy is to run aircons non-stop whilst you're actually inside. Because of this I have no mould problems inside my house. However, I have friends who choose not to run their aircons all the time and subsequently experience some mould here and there.

If the ambient temperature (and more importantly humidity) can be controlled by airconditioning, internal mould should be the responsibility of the tenant.

By the way, humidity is a different story further north (Cairns way) where it truly is tropical and much worse than the handful of moderately humid days experienced in Townsville when it rains.

I believe it is Landlord's responsibility. I have property in Cairns. I totally renovated a townhouse and within 2 months the brand new ceiling was absolutely covered in mould. I went to Bunnings and asked for advice, which I followed, by using the exit mould over a period of days, waiting for it to dry, brushing it off and keeping at it until all mould was dead, then painted it with a special mould resistant paint, then repainted with ceiling white and have not had any more problems, even though we have had lots of rain and plenty of humidity.

The tenants do run the airconditioning constantly.

Chris

Back