moved out problems

I'm callinv fair trading tomorrow but thought I would get some advice here first.

I moved out of a rental 3 weeks ago. The garage remote stopped working about a month before moving out. I just assumed it was a battery and left it.

I called up today asking why we haven't heard about the bond and that reason was given saying it's not a battery.

it's been an annoying place to rent as the manager has changed 3x. No one speaks english. Half the lights never worked and toke 6 months to do anything. The dishwasher never worked and a year of complaining never got anywhere (it was advertised with dishwasher)

I'm wondering where I stand as I was too easy going knowing I'd be moving out after the lease ended and it was too painful to deal with them.

thanks in advance. Hope to have some photos of a reno up soon.

I moved out of a rental 3 weeks ago. The garage remote stopped working about a month before moving out. I just assumed it was a battery and left it.

I called up today asking why we haven't heard about the bond and that reason was given saying it's not a battery.

Damage or Maintenance issue?

Nil damage. I went on holiday and when I came back the remote didn't work.

p.s sorry for bad english etc as I only have Internet on my phone and typing in difficult

To be clear the door works fine pressing the button on the unit raises and lowers the door as per normal operation.

Who has said it's not the battery?

Bring up the fact that they only have 10 business days to make a claim, and as that has exceeded they are in breach.

A new remote is ~$80 or so, it will likely cost them more to go to VCAT.

Thanks Lil Skater,

Do you have the link to the website that talks about the 10 days? I have had a look on fairtrading and cannot find where it says that.

Who has said it's not the battery?

Bring up the fact that they only have 10 business days to make a claim, and as that has exceeded they are in breach.

A new remote is ~$80 or so, it will likely cost them more to go to VCAT.

I think mr minit do them for $50 if they are the small type that can be put on keyring. As a landlord I replace mine. B & D doors only have a one year warranty on them.

Update, after a month the RE sent a bond form.

They had a whole list of things required to be fixed. I politely reminded them to read the inspection report for the start of the tenancy and all items have been removed bar the remote as it was the only item not listed. Seems they were trying to get me to pay for their problems.

They are trying to claim $200 for a remote as apparently it is a "security remote". Despite this they have been unable to produce a receipt for such a thing and never gave me a chance to get it fixed - are they required to in NSW?

Also the property was advertised with a dishwasher - which never worked. I sent about 6 emails, called and dropped into their office and it was never fixed. I don't like to cause problems and was moving out after a year so I didn't bother. I should have just gone to fair trading. Do I have a right to compensation?

Back