moving to brisbane...plezzzz help

I would consider the Bayside suburbs a little too far away for a daily commute to the Valley or CBD.

Here's another suggestion: if you want executive style accommodation that's a bit closer to work, go to realestate.com, do a search on Kenmore, Holland Park, Ashgrove, Hamilton ,

The Gap and surrounding areas- type in houses/townhouses in the price range of 500-800 per week.

Almost all of the ones that come would probably be suitable.

For about half the price you would still find good quality housing in those areas.

RK.

With that budget, you could even aim for suburbs like Teneriffe, Newstead,Hamilton (all on the River), Ascot, Hendra neck of the woods.

Bloss

marina,

If your husband is working in The Valley then maybe Lutwyche? That's where I live and its awesome! Got a nice big shopping centre there - beware of weekends though - the hours are set like it's still 1950, but overall it's a good area. There's a primary school in Windsor just over the hill (I dunno how good it is though) and being in Lutwyche, your husband can catch a bus straight into The Valley, take about ten minutes max.

I love Lutwyche and will probably buy something there to live in myself (a nice 2 bed flat at the moment) and with a rental budget of 500+ a week, you will have absolutely no problems finding something. It doesn't have water views, but there is lots of parkland around and it's a really beautiful place to bring up children.

Personally, I think Brisbane in general is a really beautiful place to bring up children.

Mark

Dear Marina

As everyone else said with this rental budget you can pretty much live anywhere in Brissie. I would keep in mind the traffic though which can be pretty bad depending on whether you need to get through the city or not during peak hour. So the Valley side of town would be a good bet or along the river (Bulimba, Hawthorne) which is a great commute into town (both by bike and by ferry). Because you can afford to be close to town I wouldn't get into the car commuting thing if you can avoid it, such a waste of time!

Just a thought - oh and check out ourbrisbane.com which has some good maps and info on suburbs for new arrivals.

kaf

Just thought I'd add that we live in Coorparoo. Hubby catches an express bus to the city, takes 15 minutes maximum in peak hour because the bus gets on the busway. If I pick him up in the city it takes me maximum ten minutes into the city and ten minutes back on the freeway.

Coorparoo, Greenslopes, Holland Park are all good areas with good schools and close to everything.

Used to live at Balmoral and even ten years ago the commute was very slow. I hate to think how much more choked the only road in and out of Bulimba/Balmoral is now that hundreds more townhouses and houses have been built, but it is (and was) a great place to live.

Wylie.

Last edited:
hi all can u please help me? i am moving to brisbane,and wanting to know a good suburbs for my family and good schools,people have told me don't go south...and head north...can someone please help...
It's possible there is no help.

Best chance would be for the transport to make a wrong turn and end up in Sydney or Melbourne. The risk of that is you could make things worse and end up in Canberra.

Good schools all I would advise is stay away from the expensive private schools around the CBD, surely all schools can't be that bad? Or maybe they have gotten better since I attended... Though I hear my nephew is getting bullied at one of those schools currently, perhaps things haven't changed much at all.

In Vegas I prefer the area from Indooroopilly to St Lucia, plenty of water views in that area and I just like the west side better for some reason. Money not being a constraint I would choose Newfarm on the river.

hi all can u please help me? i am moving to brisbane,and wanting to know a good suburbs for my family and good schools,people have told me don't go south...and head north...can someone please help...

Hi marina1550,

Brookwater is a pretty nice suburb - across the road from a catholic school... about 28km south west of Brisbane. You can rent a large house for about ~ $440/week.

Public transport isn't the best at the moment though, so you'll need a car.

Disclaimer: I'm naturally biased with this one as I live there! :)

-- MJ.

Marina, there's other threads offering advice to ppl moving to Brisbane - funnily enough, no one has asked for advice on moving to Sydney or Melbourne :p

You specifically ask for advice re good suburbs and good schools. Good is a subjective judgement, as indicated by the broad and conflicting recommendations above.

From the way you have framed your question, one might be excused for thinking your interpretation of 'good' is as broad as the responses above.

Nevertheless, maybe others reading this thread might benefit from refining the advice given....in achieving this, you might respond more specifically to the questions below. Your responses will help Somersofters to provide you with more tailored advice:

- Where in Sydney do you live now? and do you want to live in a similar or otherwise area? If otherwise, please expand.

- What criteria do you define a good school by? strict Catholic values? superior academic achievement? well rounded personality? strong sports background? the elites send their kids there? they don't sell junk food in their tuck shop? :rolleyes: there's a line of clean BMW X5s and Lexus 4wd's outside at 3.30pm ready to taxi kiddies to private ballet, tennis, or french horn lessons? there's a line of snot nosed kids out the front waiting for a late bus at 3.30pm?

- What value do you place on your husband's time with family? and therefore, what commute time would you prefer be his maximum?

- How would you prefer your husband commute to work? car or public transport?

- Does your husband have a car space at work as part of his package or will he have to pay for public parking?

- Are your children happier with a larger backyard with room to play amongst trees and pool? or are they content with a smaller yard, as you might get with a townhouse?

- Do you want to be in an area where there are other children living closeby for yours to play with? or is it more important for you to live in an inner urban area closer to trendy cafes and restaurants, but populated by DINKS?

- Brisbane-ites often define themselves as preferring either Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast holidays. The Gold Coast offering more excitment and things to do (that you pay for). The Sunshine Coast offering a more laid back tranquil holiday in a less built environment. Which coast would your family prefer Marina?

I could go on Marina.......but I won't.......I might put you off moving to a provincial backwater and cultural wasteland like Brisbane :)

how to post a new thread in somersoft

I searched this forum inside out, can't find how to post a new thread, can anyone help. This is what I want to post :
I am about to sign an agreement to sell an apartment. The standard REIV form says agent commission is payable once a binding contract is entered into. It happened to me once the buyer pulled out and I still had to pay the agent commision (thousands of $). To me more informed comrades, will you insert a clause say commission is payable only if settlement takes place, and how common this is. I undersatnd some would argur the agent already done the work, but to me it's no big deal if he looks for another buyer, but paying close to ten thousand dollars for nothing is a big deal to me. Your thoughts please.

Back