moving to brisbane

We are planning to move to Brisbane. The suburbs we are looking at are : The Gap, Forestdale, Fig Tree Pocket. The Gap has very good bus services to the city, every 15 minute, and the trip only take half an hour. Forestdale has acreage properties, not so sure about the public transport though, Fig Tree Pocket is near the river, we hadn't have a good look around yet. My kids are in high school. Any comments, opinions about these suburbs ( especially easy access to the city & schools ) will be much appreciated.

From a socio-economic perspective, The Gap and Fig Tree Pocket are both very nice areas; Forestdale is in a much more socially disadvantaged part of Brisbane.

Personally, I think Fig Tree Pocket is just divine, and one of the most gorgeous suburbs in Brisbane. It's handy to Indooroopilly Shoppingtown, the Western Freeway (easy commute to city), has frequent buses through most parts (anywhere near Fig Tree Pocket Rd or Jesmond Rd should be fine), is near many good public and private schools, and has many beautiful parks and the river. All in all, it's a gem.

I'm sure there are people who could wax lyrical about The Gap, too, but I'm more of a south-west kind of gal :D, so I'll leave that to somebody else. My perception is that road traffic to the city from The Gap is more challenging than from FTP, and there's no big shopping centre nearby (that I can think of). And no river. But it is closer to the bushwalking parks.

Personally, I'd forget Forestdale. The area is very industrialised and increasingly so, I would be surprised if public transport is any good, and it's just not a very beautiful part of Brisbane. Sure, there are beautiful individual properties on acreage with bushland surroundings, but the bigger picture of your neighbourhood isn't as pretty as in the other two areas.

Thank you very much Tracey, now the choice is either Fig Tree Pocket or The Gap. I think I am leaning toward FTP but my wife is for The Gap.

oasis
I've lived in worked in these areas for the last 10 yrs
Each has a strength and a weakness.

I'd agree w/Tracey as I like FTP as well (over the gap - sorry to any gappers)...

Probably a big consideration is what your price range is as places in FTP can get pretty pricey.

Lots of really new places in FTP as well (modern) - Think most of the Gap stuff is a bit older.

1 road in and one road out of the gap
2 ways in and out of FTP

FTP probably a better chance of getting flooded out
Gap has a few wineries next to it

That being said it depends on where youre working. In the morning getting from FTP to the city will take you probably @30 minutes if you're driving. But that will be offset by the bus lanes if they ever get them done

You might also want to check out areas like Chelmer, Corinda, Graceville, Tennyson, or Yeronga which have good public transport / train lines expressing into the city and also close to all that you want.

I've always liked Chelmer/Corinda though (depending on the house or the location of it).

I would choose FTP over the Gap as The Gap gets really hot on those hot and sticky summer days as there is little wind being in a gap between two big hills. OK of you have aircon but not pleasant outside

oasis
I've lived in worked in these areas for the last 10 yrs
Each has a strength and a weakness.

I'd agree w/Tracey as I like FTP as well (over the gap - sorry to any gappers)...

Probably a big consideration is what your price range is as places in FTP can get pretty pricey.

Lots of really new places in FTP as well (modern) - Think most of the Gap stuff is a bit older.

1 road in and one road out of the gap
2 ways in and out of FTP

FTP probably a better chance of getting flooded out
Gap has a few wineries next to it

That being said it depends on where youre working. In the morning getting from FTP to the city will take you probably @30 minutes if you're driving. But that will be offset by the bus lanes if they ever get them done

You might also want to check out areas like Chelmer, Corinda, Graceville, Tennyson, or Yeronga which have good public transport / train lines expressing into the city and also close to all that you want.

I've always liked Chelmer/Corinda though (depending on the house or the location of it).
Thanks lukentel for you experience and suggestion of other suburbs.

I would choose FTP over the Gap as The Gap gets really hot on those hot and sticky summer days as there is little wind being in a gap between two big hills. OK of you have aircon but not pleasant outside.
lukentel, now I know why they call it The Gap.

Back