Moving to Perth or Melbourne

This has to be one of the sillier posts I've seen in a while.

Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth are all roughly comparable in terms of costs of living for the average person. They all have Bogans. They all have their exclusive enclaves that are relatively bogan-proof, but if you're wanting to save $100K on your PPOR swap, then these suburbs might not be for you anyway.

Your life will change so substantially by moving to a new city that the change will be what shocks your system most, not that the bus is 3% cheaper in your new town.

Also, the whole 'nothing to do in Perth' argument is fairly ridiculous. I live in Brisbane (sometimes described by Aussies as like a big country town) and if I tried to exhaust all possible dining/entertainment venues in the city, I would be flat broke and/or dead.

Only boring people get bored :)

Matt

I actually after 2 things:

1. Less cost of living = less stress
2. Avoid bogans, had a bad experience with a bogan neighbour in sydney.

I think I will prefer perth over melb, however it seems that I will need to rent in a nice suburb. Can't afford to buy in bogan-free suburb.

That's what I can do as an average income person.

What do you think?

Have you visited either city?

Might be best to visit for a week or so to get the feel before jumping in... Or you could just try another suburb in Sydney?

I don't think you can really do much to change the 1st point apart from altering your lifestyle.
The cost is going to be much of a muchness, the reality is that in major cities in Australia, the cost is at a point where most consumers feel like they are shopping at an airport....permanently.

Point 2 :In Perth it is cheaper to rent in the better suburbs than buy so you may have some scope for finding something in a bogan restricted zone.

Perth is a bogan town, just as Australia is a bogan country. But what's so wrong with bogans? There's loveable bogans, just as there's undesirable types in any other subculture.

Perth is slowly catching up to the rest of the country, but it's got a way to go. I would recommend a reccy before making any crazy decisions.

Perth is a bogan town, just as Australia is a bogan country. But what's so wrong with bogans? There's loveable bogans, just as there's undesirable types in any other subculture.

Perth is slowly catching up to the rest of the country, but it's got a way to go. I would recommend a reccy before making any crazy decisions.

I used to think that, but I don't think it is as far behind the rest of the country as the country is behind the rest of the world and in some ways ahead.

I will say this about Melb. Immensely overrated by the locals.
It was once said that Greece is "Kebabs + Dog ****"
Melbourne is "Greece - Dog **** + Coffee + Speed Cameras.

Perth in the last 5 years has moved forward hugely. Food equal to anything around Aus and heaps of music/arts and things to do. Major rezoning, small bar licenses etc

Qualified as have lived in both. Went to school and grew up in Melbourne-

Been here in Perth for 3 years now. Give you basic breakdown or course my perception only.

Perth.
I love the beaches, it's a very clean city compared to Melbourne, the road and infrastructure is lacking relative to population and population growth, public transport seems ok but nothing compared to Melbourne, the climate ***** all over Melbourne, there is a lot of crime- noticeably more than I was aware of in Vic, the south coast round Margaret River and around are unbeatable- the Gt Ocean Rd doesn't compare, everything is more expensive over here and if you are from east you will notice the increase in living expense and how far away it feels to the rest of the country, however in saying that I am a Firefighter and I am paid 15k more than what I would be on over east so it seems relative. Most industries over here seem to be well paid; my partner is a teacher and she is also about 15k better off than if she were over East, affordability in housing market around coastal locations.

Melbourne
Horrible weather, great entertainment, cold and wet most of the time, city feels dirty, great public transport, sporting scene is very good, easy to access other east coast states, quality un crowded surf.

My pick- move to Melbourne- buy a house in Frankston or Mornington. Mid 350k should get a good block 3x1 with potential. 40min to Melbourne, proximity to beach and good drives. Kids can be involved in the surf life saving scene and be involved with footy or whatever local sporting endeavours.

I think you just need to buck up and make more of what you have. moving to another city is a huge turmoil and expense and let's face it all aussie cities are just big country towns with a high cost of living, there isn't much between them. I'd be wary of coming out west, there's no money being spent on infrastructure so it can't cope, making it difficult to live in. Perth beaches are terrible, they are blown out by noon at best. Melbourne isn't much different in size to Perth, I don't know what everyone goes on about, nor how relevant the number of office blocks will be to your life. If you are in a negative state of mind you will find melb weather miserable and perth weather scorching for 8 months and freezing the rest. Plus you can't get anyone on the phone after about 2pm as they all run on EST, even bankwest! And if even a fraction of melb is as unjustifiably up themselves as the real housewives then you would want to give it a wide berth (if you want to be toff all good and well but first make sure you have the bank balance to match it :eek:)

Now if you said you wanted to move to a town like hobart, cairns or busselton, now that would be a different proposition.

Perth is noice. I don't notice the Bogans which could mean I might be one?

Lived in Melbourne for three years and loved it.

Moving cities will set you back 40-50k all things considered.

Perth isn't completely boring as some have said but probably depends what you are into. Some of my favourite things are:
- Spending time on the river. Spent mothers day there with the kids and a blow up boat. Was a beautiful day. Always see something different.
- Swan Valley. Nice views and beers. (maybe I'm a bogan) Sometimes great music and food
- Beach occasionally at my secret spot
- travellIng a couple of hours to beautiful, unspoilt beach and bush locations

I'm originally from Sydney and now live in Melbourne.

I love Melbourne and it's probably the best decision I made. I think it is cheaper than Sydney especially housing.

Good thing about Perth is you are close to Asia. You can be in Bali for $150 each way & it's still the same time zone.

Look it really does depend on your personal taste and what the family like doing.

If you have no interests in beaches, love the NRL and want to visit family and friends in NSW all the time then Melbourne might be a better choice.

If you family love AFL, beaches, travelling to Asia etc then Perth might be a better choice.

Then there are education choices for the family about which suburb to live in.

I really don't think there are more bogans in Perth but watch Bogan Hunter and see what they say.

I will say this about Melb. Immensely overrated by the locals.
It was once said that Greece is "Kebabs + Dog ****"
Melbourne is "Greece - Dog **** + Coffee + Speed Cameras.

There's a reason it was said "once" and most likely only once - because it's the most nonsensical saying I've ever heard.

Uh oh...... (wating for huge posts needing massive moderation...) :eek:

The Y-man

As oppose to NRL as that has little followers here :) You can enjoy AFL, Rugby and Soccer and barrack for any side from here but NRL you'll be lucky to find someone who knows who the Rabbitoes are.

Back