Music

Have you ever burnt a CD, copied a tape or downloaded music from the net?

• Of course, hasn't 99% of the population

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Never, i couldn't sleep at night.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find it interesting that people's levels of ethicalness has different degrees determined by whats convenient to them. Quite funny actually.

What I find really interesting is that I can seemingly have so much in common with certain SS members in one thread, even to the point where it feels like they are 'friends', yet on threads of a different topic, it's a completely different set of members. Like the list of friends/enemies is completely switched and mixed around depending on the topic. It's a phenomenon that I don't think exists quite so profoundly in real life.

What I find really interesting is that I can seemingly have so much in common with certain SS members in one thread, even to the point where it feels like they are 'friends', yet on threads of a different topic, it's a completely different set of members. Like the list of friends/enemies is completely switched and mixed around depending on the topic. It's a phenomenon that I don't think exists quite so profoundly in real life.

Well I think it's a beautiful thing... when we become friends again that is.

I've noticed and thought about this phenomena lately too.

Maybe it's because SS is like family :eek:.

Well I think it's a beautiful thing... when we become friends again that is.

I've noticed and thought about this phenomena lately too.

Maybe it's because SS is like family :eek:.

It's funny isn't it? That's kind of the way I see SS too. There are a lot of people and you can agree/disagree/whatever and for the most part you can still converse with each other on a level playing field so to speak. Just like family, you still like that person, even if you have a heated debate about a topic, you can turn around and agree on another. You like/dislike the topic, not the person.

Whereas in real life (with non family members) you tend to draw the line a lot sooner. You either like or dislike the person, more than the topic.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and there are a few online persona's that I completely dislike, whatever they say. One in particular that sounds like a bee dancing.

In regards to music, I remember in the 80's taping albums and sharing with friends. I also remember taping music for skating competitions. This still happens today (not by me anymore) for all kinds of competitions where music is used. Think not only of skating but dance & gymnastics too.

I've downloaded lots of music from the net, but guess what? I actually paid the license for that music.
When you buy a record, tape or CD, you pay a license to play and listen to it.
Actually I've paid for the same licenses multiple times over the years.
There is nothing illegal about transferring the medium of your paid license.

I dont live by that credo at all. You just made that up to defend yourself. I am more ethical than most people, Thats why i dislike RE agents and their dishonest industry.

And just because you say 'i treat others as i like to be treated'. Thats rubbish.

Why dont you treat others how they like to be treated. Much less selfish and ethical.

And i was talking about giant corporations, not invidual people. I think you are mixing your metaphors there. :rolleyes:

Nothing funny about it, I try to live by the 'do unto others as you would have them do to you'. Serves me well and keeps my conscience clear. Obviously others on this forum live by the 'do unto others whatever it takes for me to succeed and screw everyone else'. If that's what works for you and you can live with that, that's your decision.

Last edited:
Thats why i dislike RE agents and their dishonest industry.
I downloaded may be 1 or 2 songs at the most, hard to keep up with the technology.
At least RE is a step up from the "Financial Planning" scams/ripoffs. FP would have to be at the top of my most despised list.
(wish someone can give a more appropriate name what that BS industry actually is)

Last edited:
I am more ethical than most people
Thats why i dislike RE agents and their dishonest industry
Now that is another big statement :confused:
You've got to look at youself in the mirror mate.
You've either got ethics or you don't.
You can't pick and choose.
I'd say you're confused somehow

And just because you say 'i treat others as i like to be treated'. Thats rubbish.
Really???
I recall in another thread you called people who have ethics and choose to live honestly "penguins"
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=746063&postcount=54
Many people choose to do the right thing and live by the laws our society has put in place. You choose to follow some rules and to ignore others. That's your choice but don't throw dirt at people who don't want to go down your path.

Mate, we can all follow the rules of society (no matter how petty and ridiculous) and still not think the police will turn up when someone plays a bit of music in a small suburban roller skating rink.

I have ethics. But i don't bend over for absolutely ridiculous corporate and govt regulations designed to keep people in check.

The thing is, the public doesn't really think for itself. It just follows everyone else.

Thats why when there are revolutions, the first killed are the intellectuals and free thinkers because they can influence the unthinking public.

And i never called honest and ethical people 'penguins', if you re read the post you'll realise you just made that up.

I think people like you have double standards. One that suits their public persona and one for their private. Thats because most people lead a small scared life.

With me, its all the same. I put it out there, good or bad. To me, thats having ethics.

Now that is another big statement :confused:
You've got to look at youself in the mirror mate.
You've either got ethics or you don't.
You can't pick and choose.
I'd say you're confused somehow

Really???
I recall in another thread you called people who have ethics and choose to live honestly "penguins"
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=746063&postcount=54
Many people choose to do the right thing and live by the laws our society has put in place. You choose to follow some rules and to ignore others. That's your choice but don't throw dirt at people who don't want to go down your path.

Who would have thought this thread would get heated! lol :D

Try this one on for thinking; Yes I download music and don't have a problem with it. I don't however download TV/movies and don't watch pirated copies from my friends (actually one UK series I have). For some reason tv/film piracy seems 'wrong' to me and I'm not comfortable with it.

I know this makes no logical sense, intellectual property is what it is, regardless of type/format. But yes, that's me. :)

Back