My latest small reno

Three unloved chairs given to me by a friend.
Snelling chairs made in the 50s in a factory in St Peters, Sydney. They were some of the first mass produced domestic furniture lines.
Being post war when materials might have been limited, the webbing was originally unused parachute webbing.
It's pleasant doing stuff like this - beats watching telly or being on the internet at night.
I pulled them apart completely and now they're back together and ready for new webbing. I'm avoiding that because it's going to be the hard part and it's where things could go horribly wrong.
Goodness knows where I'll put them when they're done.

Attachments

• chair before.jpg
    chair before.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Chair bits 1.jpg
    Chair bits 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 83
  • chair bits 2.jpg
    chair bits 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 97
They look great. Can't wait to see them finished. I'd love to do stuff like that.
Now that I'm only working 3 days I'd like to but I'm busier than when I was working 5 days ATM.

Done. One down. Not sure where to put it now.

Attachments

• chair finished 2.jpg
    chair finished 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 83
  • chair finished 3.jpg
    chair finished 3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 80
  • chair finished 1.jpg
    chair finished 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
The short term rental it will fit right in

A bit nice for that. But that flat around the corner does have some expensive original 50s stuff in it - I'm banking on nobody ever realising. We rotate the furniture a bit like how people rotate paintings (we rotate paintings, too). I dread the time when we'll need to cull stuff.

A bit nice for that. But that flat around the corner does have some expensive original 50s stuff in it - I'm banking on nobody ever realising. We rotate the furniture a bit like how people rotate paintings (we rotate paintings, too). I dread the time when we'll need to cull stuff.

Judging by what I've seen, I'd be happy to help when culling comes around :p

Probably 3 hours all up - spread over a long period because resin and oil etc had to dry.
I got someone else to do the webbing.
It was just something nice to do when I had some spare time.
On Sunday arvo, we were all in the studio. One of the kids was reading, one was doing a school project, my wife was writing a lecture for uni, and I was mucking around with chairs - I've 6 Snelling dining chairs to do now.
I like lazy afternoons like that.

Back