My Moonee Ponds Development

Hi all,

I know I've disappeared from the forum for a while, so thought it'd be good to jump back on and talk about what I've been up to.

Apart from being absolutely inundated with survey work, I've taken the plunge and decided to get into property development on a personal level.

In Feb 2014 my wife and I purchased a little block in Moonee Ponds VIC. Within walking distance of trains, trams and Puckle Street shops.

I must emphasize the block is absolutely tiny - 217sq.m total.

Purchase price was $485,000 which we thought was a bargain. Clearly we were the only people at auction who had prospects of more than one house!

The property was sourced through my colleagues at Pillar + Post in Melbourne http://pillarandpost.com.au/ whom are a firm comprising of highly skilled town planners and architects. I honestly don't know anyone else in the industry who would able to make a project like this happen. I must admit that upon sourcing the site I didn't think we could fit 2 houses on the block!

So, we are putting 2 very architectural townhouses (1x2br, 1x3br) on site that reflect the surrounding neighborhood of 100+ year old weatherboard houses. Sort of a modern twist whilst reflecting with some timber cladding and the pitched roof.

Total building and consultant costs has been generously budgeted at $500,000 and estimated sale price for the 2 units if sold today would be $1,335,000. Moonee Ponds has had significant growth of 8% in the past year, and is quickly becoming a highly desirable location.

Obviously there are holding costs and contingency to be factored in, but overall looking at a nice profit. Currently sticking well to budget and time frame. We will probably end up keeping the 3 bedroom unit.

We have council support and happy neighbors, so now just have lodged for the town planning permit and will be ready to build later this year.

Will keep you all posted!

Cheers,
Ash

Well done Ash!

I love tiny sites. I have 3 apartments going on 249sqm and 4 houses going on 550sqm.

I can't wait to see your designs if you are happy to share.

Small sites are exciting! The limited space makes for some clever town planning and architecture.

I've attached some screengrabs of the concepts with street names removed :)

Attachments

• Perspectives.JPG
    Perspectives.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Floor Plan.JPG
    Floor Plan.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 458
Wow!
That's pretty amazing. They are effectively free standing units arent they (size wise).

I'd much prefer to buy a unit size freestanding house than a unit any day.

Does Sydney allow for such development?

Nice work. That's the beauty of going reverse living. No need for 40m2 of private open space, just a 8m2 balcony.

Wow!
That's pretty amazing. They are effectively free standing units arent they (size wise).

I'd much prefer to buy a unit size freestanding house than a unit any day.

Does Sydney allow for such development?

Definitely agree with you, inner-suburbs living with the "feel" of a house.

Only thing that's shared is the garage, but that has two separate doors with different entry points to the house / side path.

Not sure about Sydney's planning laws- maybe call a local planner :)

Nice work. That's the beauty of going reverse living. No need for 40m2 of private open space, just a 8m2 balcony.

Most definitely.

I forgot to add there's a street at each end, however the block only has vehicle access from the rear street (pedestrian only from front). But heaps of on-street parking available.

Hey Stacey,

If you do not mind me asking, where is this site? I live in Niddrie and my brother is currently renting in Vine St in MP.
We both absolutely love the area and I would very much love to watch this development unfold (My brother is even about 2 years away from looking to purchase in the area so could be well timed :D).

Could I also just ask, how does one go about getting Council support for such a small site development? I myself am very new to all this and currently developing on the rear of my PPOR but that is a big 650 block and quite easy for council support as its happening basically everywhere.

Absolutely love hearing about things like this which are outside of the norm. Great effort and ofcourse good luck!

Hey Stacey,

If you do not mind me asking, where is this site? I live in Niddrie and my brother is currently renting in Vine St in MP.
We both absolutely love the area and I would very much love to watch this development unfold (My brother is even about 2 years away from looking to purchase in the area so could be well timed :D).

Could I also just ask, how does one go about getting Council support for such a small site development? I myself am very new to all this and currently developing on the rear of my PPOR but that is a big 650 block and quite easy for council support as its happening basically everywhere.

Absolutely love hearing about things like this which are outside of the norm. Great effort and ofcourse good luck!

I'll send you through a PM with the address :)

We won council support by having our private town planners liaise with council before and after purchase, as well as during the concept design. They responded to the demand for growth in the area by coming up with this clever design.

I agree it is quite out of the norm, but it just shows with a great team of professionals, the envelope can be pushed to make successful developments happen on seemingly unprofitable sites.

Ash

Looks good - the neighbours will probably want to do something similar.

It definitely helps to have a council that is pro-development...no chance of that getting approved in Glen Eira, Stonnington, etc.

It's very exciting project, an example for the creativity outside of the box.

We have a little bigger lot (280sqm) in same area and got DA to put an unit in backyard but cannot believe it can be subdivided to 2 separate titles.

Just curious if the process of subdivision to be similar as typical duo occupancy? Any difficulties from council?

Cheers.

Oh can't wait to follow this, I love Moonee Ponds! Such a beautiful area, so much going for it! I'll admit I can't picture 2 houses on a 217sqm block, but can't wait to see it! :D

I love Moonee Ponds, went to school nearby. I couldn't believe you'd get two freestanding places onto a 217 sqm block, but it looks good so well done. I probably wouldn't want to live there, because I love a backyard, but awesome work, and I'd love to know the address too

It's very exciting project, an example for the creativity outside of the box.

We have a little bigger lot (280sqm) in same area and got DA to put an unit in backyard but cannot believe it can be subdivided to 2 separate titles.

Just curious if the process of subdivision to be similar as typical duo occupancy? Any difficulties from council?

Cheers.

It's handy that I'm doing all the survey work! Yes we are having separate titles on this.

Same process as dual occ, however plans submitted in town planning are very detailed to show impact on the neighbors.

Only difficulty we have had is a bit of a hold up with council wanting an extra parking space for U2, so we are talking our way through this at the moment. Given proximity to the activity center, it's silly to think we'll need more than 1 car. Keen to get advertising in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

A few more pics of the proposed development (taken from the planning app).

Have removed street names etc.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Elevations.JPG
    Elevations.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Ground Floor.JPG
    Ground Floor.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Sketches.JPG
    Sketches.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Top Floor.JPG
    Top Floor.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 219
It's handy that I'm doing all the survey work! Yes we are having separate titles on this.

Same process as dual occ, however plans submitted in town planning are very detailed to show impact on the neighbors.

Only difficulty we have had is a bit of a hold up with council wanting an extra parking space for U2, so we are talking our way through this at the moment. Given proximity to the activity center, it's silly to think we'll need more than 1 car. Keen to get advertising in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Council always ask 2 car space for 3 beds. Please update how you can convince them. Hope there is not any objection during advertising.

Great works. I'll need your help for our subdivision soon.

Back