My new purchase - Highbury SA

attached pic best way to show you my idea, this way you keep council happy with option 1 for residence 2 and 3, maximise feel of privacy with common wall, and get a study nook big enough for 2 kids upstairs, just need to push bed 2 out 600mm, increases overall build about 2 sq m only.

View attachment Brady house design.pdf

obviously residence 3 to mirror residence 2, just quick scribbling ideas

laundry for res 2 and 3

make sure builder adds a internal wall support for dryer to be mounted above the washing machine, and I would put in a broom/linen cupboard in there.

I think I prefer option 1 too and not the alternate.

Option 1 is easier to furnish, easier to move furniture around as doesn't have kite/triangle stairs and just seems better to me.

I'll have a more indepth look and see if I have any suggestions for improvements

attached pic best way to show you my idea, this way you keep council happy with option 1 for residence 2 and 3, maximise feel of privacy with common wall, and get a study nook big enough for 2 kids upstairs, just need to push bed 2 out 600mm, increases overall build about 2 sq m only.

View attachment 13341

obviously residence 3 to mirror residence 2, just quick scribbling ideas

Agree this should be done, more space for similar cost.

I think I prefer option 1 too and not the alternate.

Option 1 is easier to furnish, easier to move furniture around as doesn't have kite/triangle stairs and just seems better to me.

I'll have a more indepth look and see if I have any suggestions for improvements

Thanks would love some feedback.

more ideas

Any reason that option 1 for dwelling 2&3 can't push the study wall out to the boundary, that way it could be bed 4, slightly modify toilet downstairs to have a shower, now 4 bed 3 bath plus study nook, another 2.5m sq increase overall build size but might add value more that that? Not sure of demand for 4beds in that area though? see drawing View attachment Brady bath laundry.pdf

Any reason that option 1 for dwelling 2&3 can't push the study wall out to the boundary, that way it could be bed 4, slightly modify toilet downstairs to have a shower, now 4 bed 3 bath plus study nook, another 2.5m sq increase overall build size but might add value more that that? Not sure of demand for 4beds in that area though? see drawing View attachment 13350

Good call, I thought of this as well but didn't even write it down. Need a note pad with me. Thanks for reminding me. Will ask the architect.

Demand for 4 bedroom would be strong IMO. Very family suburb.

Alright so over the weekend given the designs some thought.

As always would love peoples feedback.

DUPLEX
- Bathroom moved across into bedroom 1. Room1 big enough, allows either bigger bathroom or more hall storage
- Bed2 wall moved over in line with boundary. Simpler design for build
- Wardrobe changed spot, smaller. Cheaper
- Creating large study/lounge nook

HOUSE 1
- Moving kitchen into living. Allows more room for cupboards, gives access straight from kitchen to alfresco
- Might need more walls in living dinning for furnishing?
- Open plan living and dinning which should result in room easier to furnish
- Double sliding doors for alfresco, or corner bi-folds (http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0111/bli_260111.htm)
- Also build in kitchen for alfresco

Attachments

• Brady Changes.pdf
    144 KB · Views: 98
Concept Plans #2

After emails with Architect changes have been made.

But I don't like whats been done.

For the detached the kitchen is moved into the other corner which is what I wanted, but now has a window instead of stacker doors. I dont see the point in having the kitchen next to the alfresco if you cant walk from the kitchen to the alfresco. Also Idea was to get more cupboard space there is a whole wall being wasted.

For the duplex a study nook has been created which is great, but space has been taken from bedroom 2, I would prefer the bathroom to be moved down and take some space from bedroom 1.

Not sure if the kitchen is going to work in that corner. Trying to visualise how to furnish the detached property, design needs to be liveable.

Attachments

• Concept Plans 2.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 125
Exciting times and congrats on the purchase.

Only thing is I would be cautious relying on 'verbal' quotes from builders. Last 20 quotes we've received were all along the lines of "yeah $1150/m2 turn key easy done"...not kidding, I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said all 20 builders said the same thing. Engineering gets completed, given to builders to firm up prices and what do you know, they mostly came in at $1500/m2.

We find we're able to achieve a fairly decent turn-key price with our negotiating purely based the number of homes we offer the builder on a single job but yeah, I agree with earlier post that it'd be extremely hard to achieve $1100/m2 turn-key unless it excludes major things like floor coverings, a/c, driveways and perimeter paths, landscaping, civils etc. My Brother did his last development as Owner/Builder and only then he was able to achieve $1100/m2.

Probably not so crucial if your intention is to hold on for long term unlike for us, we get in and out as quickly as possible and the build price is critical in making or breaking the deal potentially.

Good luck and looking forward to reading more of your progress :D

Oh forgot, can recommend some Architect/Draftee/Engineer/Town Planners that we use.

Drop me an email and i'll compile all their contact details for you :)

Exciting times and congrats on the purchase.

Only thing is I would be cautious relying on 'verbal' quotes from builders. Last 20 quotes we've received were all along the lines of "yeah $1150/m2 turn key easy done"...not kidding, I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said all 20 builders said the same thing. Engineering gets completed, given to builders to firm up prices and what do you know, they mostly came in at $1500/m2.

We find we're able to achieve a fairly decent turn-key price with our negotiating purely based the number of homes we offer the builder on a single job but yeah, I agree with earlier post that it'd be extremely hard to achieve $1100/m2 turn-key unless it excludes major things like floor coverings, a/c, driveways and perimeter paths, landscaping, civils etc. My Brother did his last development as Owner/Builder and only then he was able to achieve $1100/m2.

Probably not so crucial if your intention is to hold on for long term unlike for us, we get in and out as quickly as possible and the build price is critical in making or breaking the deal potentially.

Good luck and looking forward to reading more of your progress :D

Not going to lie, cant be 100% confident on what price I'll get from the builders. I have a client who is a builder developer who has been saying for years that he will build be awesome house at good price, but will see how that goes when the time comes.

The builder brokers are also very confident in getting me the best price, they wouldn't commit to a price per sqm, but they think their builders will be cheaper then what I can source myself. If they aren't thats fine, they dont get paid. So it's in their best interest to get lowest price.

I have a developer family friend who is in part mentoring me, she has offered more to do owner builder (has a building company), but being first project I've decided against. She is willing to pass my details onto a builder friend of hers who again she think will be very well priced.

There is no guarantees in any of this, from my calculations there is enough 'fat' in the deal for it to be profitable.

$335,000 purchase price
$18,000 purchase costs
$8,000 demolition
$33,000 subdivision
$8,000 architect
$6,000 engineering
$12,000 misc costs

Total cost for site $420,000

Approx 615sqm @ $1,100 per sqm = ~$675,000 build cost

Even if add in an extra $65,000 (approx 10%)

So then total build cost $740,000

Then total cost = $1,160,000

(developer friend/mentor believes should be able to get $1,000 per sqm and finishes driveway/landscaping/fencing/flooring for ~$30k per property, so based on her figures $705k for the build)

Min Value for Duplex $430,000 each
Min Value for Detached $450,000

Total Value $1,310,000

Which results in $150,000 minimum gain, based on larger build costs and lowest values. I wouldn't be surprise if the duplex are worth $20k more and the detached up to $40k more.

Not sure if people are interested in these constant updates, I know for others I enjoy seeing each step. So I'll continue to post as this is part of the process, trying to get the design right.

Refer to attached document - concept plans 3

Really happy with the duplex plans, upstairs is great now. Bathroom has been moved down, slightly into bedroom 1, this bedroom is large anyway. This has allowed bedroom 2 to be a good size 3.2 x 3.2 + Robe. And has the study nook / built in the hallway which could possible allow for a couch / tv for kids etc.

Still torn with the standalone, I really wanted to have a kitchen that went straight onto the alfresco with an outdoor kitchen. But the space doesn't seem to be working.

I think will end up putting the kitchen back to the original position. But still keep the extended alfresco for outdoor kitchen.

Attachments

• Concept Plans 3.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 109
Not sure if people are interested in these constant updates, I know for others I enjoy seeing each step. So I'll continue to post as this is part of the process, trying to get the design right.

I'm sure there are people like myself, that don't have much to offer to your development but are getting a lot out, so keep the updates coming.

Builder hasn't been selected, at this stage engaged an architect to get me all the way to working drawings which then will be used to tender for build.

Have spoken with a builder broker, they have up to 20 builders on there panel. The brokers work in similar model to the bank, being paid by the builder. So only will proceed if they can offer better price then elsewhere.

I will be personally engaging 2-5 builders for quotes, outside of the builder brokers panel.

Wow Brady your architect is quick, I didn't even get a chance to finish my reply on your last set.

OK I think the attached ones are great. The only question is, is that another cupboard next to the study nook upstairs? I've never seen a house with so many cupboards :)

Onto yours.

Let's talk meals, kitchen & dining.

Kitchen
- if you are a big cook then I would make the kitchen bigger. There is some unused space on the meals side that is just sitting there all lonely. I would make wall benches go the full L shape for the kitchen. So all the way from the hallway entrance wrapping all the way around to the alfresco wall.
- then I would put a nice kickarse island facing the alfresco sliding doors with a 1200m gap in front for access in and out of the alfresco

Meals;
- absolutely no to the linen cupboard in the meals area.
- leave that as a nook where you can put a sideboard or something like that

Living:
- I know this is driving you nuts but it's actually very furnishable. That window which is labled 600 x 2410 is a highlight, ie high up so you can put a sofa under that or a tv cabinet.
- I'd probably put my tv on the wall bordering the garage though and my couches under the highlight window and facing the tv

Powder Room
- consider putting this under the stairs then you can create a great laundry and put a laminate linen cupboard that matches the bench - bootiful

Other things.
- consider raising/coffering the ceiling of the alfresco so that you have enough height to put a ceiling fan in there and/or don't make the wall of the bbq full height. Otherwise it might struggle to get fresh air in there.
- I'm not sure the 600 x 2410 window in the master bedroom is necessary and will drive you nuts finding blinds for it. I think the big glass sliding doors will provide plenty of light. Put your bed on the wall which had the 600 x 2410 window
- think about where the towel rail will fit in the master ensuite. I like mine next to the shower so I can reach it when I come out. You might need to make that door a 720 if you want to do that

I heard on the grapevine through people in the construction industry yesterday that Homestead Homes are shutting up shop so maybe one to avoid if they make your final 2! ;)

I heard on the grapevine through people in the construction industry yesterday that Homestead Homes are shutting up shop so maybe one to avoid if they make your final 2! ;)

Yes also aware of another through a grapevine that they're shutting up shop. Starting with S. (not sekisui)

There is also another last year that went close starting with R. (not rosedale)

Will be stearing clear.

Back