Naughty naughty - new car time

Well, looks like time for us to renew one of our vehicles. I've decided to be a bit naughty this time around, and buy myself a brand new Subaru WRX. The wife will drive the V8, and I'll drive the WRX. I will have some good tax benefits (although this in itself is not a reason to buy a car), and expect to own it for 5 years.

I guess sometimes you need to keep some balance, and this is mine!

Well, looks like time for us to renew one of our vehicles. I've decided to be a bit naughty this time around, and buy myself a brand new Subaru WRX. The wife will drive the V8, and I'll drive the WRX. I will have some good tax benefits (although this in itself is not a reason to buy a car), and expect to own it for 5 years.

I guess sometimes you need to keep some balance, and this is mine!

I say go for it, u gotta reward urself along the way or what is the point of it. I used to say what a waste of money a new car is but if u work hard and have some success why not enjoy it with a new car, house, first class travel or whatever floats your boat .........which in fact could be a new boat.

Set a goal, achieve it, reward urself and then set another goal with a related reward:)

People get into trouble when they reward themselves before achieving anything.

Nothing naughty about it, VY.

It's why we do what we do as investors. ;)

There needs to be rewards. For some it's cars, for others clothes/homes/furnishings, others travel and so on. For some it's all of these and more.

Any indicative pics?

Oh, and very sensible not to buy another V8, 'cause the WRX should very economical :p :D

Enjoy it!

I just brought myself last week a brand new Volkswagen GTI. At first i felt sick thinking about how much cash money i was throwing down the drain but it's like bigtone said you got to reward yourself along the way. No regrets for me now, i love the car!

Thanks heaps guys! I won't change my nickname, as I'll still own the V8. I really think I am due for some balance, which is why I figured "stuff it". I'm going down tomorrow to negotiate a price and place the order.

And I'm getting it in red.

Only naughty if you can't afford it and the car represents a huge % of your income. Whose naughty in this scenario? Investor (A) who makes $2mill/year income and buys a Lambo for $300k, or investor (B) who earns $100k/year and buys a $50k car?

Enjoy. I have owned a 2005 club spec WRX. Only thing I didn't like about it was how heavy the clutch was. I've since had 2 knee surgeries so maybe it wouldn't phase me now.

I've also been looking at new cars (the same ones mentioned). Am getting a bit tired of all this delayed gratification stuff and driving old cars-a 1990 Laser (and now an 85 Prelude). Also looked at Ford Focus XR5. Might look at an Alfa too.

Test drove the Golf GTI and Golf GTD and Subaru WRX. If you like the Golf GTI I'd seriously consider the GTD...almost as much acceleration when overtaking (from say 70km/hr to 95km/hr) as the GTI. Slower from zero though. A bit concerned about all the sophisticated technology in the Golf cars...double clutch, the Golf TS both turbo charged and supercharged etc. I figure the repairs in years to come will be expensive, the parts expensive and lots could go wrong. Maybe the diesel version could prove cheaper on repairs.

The WRX seemed a better proposition (except on fuel consumption). It seemed bullet proof. The sales rep said I had a grin from ear to ear (I only noticed after she said so) as the WRX was doing its best at 0 to 100km/hr in 7 seconds up a very steep hill. I dearly wish I had a WRX when I was in late teens/early 20's.

I know that you're sold on the WRX, but I drove a V8 Chrysler 300 for work and I thought that I was pretty cool. I've driven the turbo Lancer and I reckon they're a bucket. Better off with a Rex I reckon.

Good on you. Enjoy the new car.

Test drove the Golf GTI and Golf GTD and Subaru WRX. If you like the Golf GTI I'd seriously consider the GTD...almost as much acceleration when overtaking (from say 70km/hr to 95km/hr) as the GTI. S

If acceleration above 70km/hr is important go and have a look at the Mazda 3 MPS.

You need to spend over $100k for something to beat it in 3rd.

It is quicker than the golf. Does not beat the WRX off the line but starts catching it after that.

I could not bring myself to buy a WRX or GTI. To many around and the stigmar around the WRX I did not like, I wanted something different.

P.S the writer of these comments drives a current Mazda 3 MPS.

I have a Golf GTI - amazing little car - test drove the subaru's but not a patch on the GTIs

Only wish the Golf R was out when I bought. I test drove the R32 but if there had been an R (i.e. the current 2.0T one) then I would have got that.

You should try the Golf R.

I have a Golf GTI - amazing little car - test drove the subaru's but not a patch on the GTIs

Only wish the Golf R was out when I bought. I test drove the R32 but if there had been an R (i.e. the current 2.0T one) then I would have got that.

You should try the Golf R.

DSG or manual?

DSG or manual?

I have a DSG. Its very impressive. I would have gone the manual, but for the DSG transmission (i.e. would not buy a slush-box in a "sporty" car).

Best of both worlds - very responsive manual when driven with the paddles, and lazy city mode in D or S.

The only complaint is when its self shifting D is quite sedentary, and S is a bit manic (nice when alone, pisses the passangers off a lot).

well done , this would be your reward , whats the point of having millions in IPS and living like a pauper all your life , ballance is the hardest thing to challange .

I have a DSG. Its very impressive. I would have gone the manual, but for the DSG transmission (i.e. would not buy a slush-box in a "sporty" car).

Best of both worlds - very responsive manual when driven with the paddles, and lazy city mode in D or S.

The only complaint is when its self shifting D is quite sedentary, and S is a bit manic (nice when alone, pisses the passangers off a lot).

Nice. Only thing that concerns me about DSG is future servicing costs if something goes wrong.

Nice. Only thing that concerns me about DSG is future servicing costs if something goes wrong.

Yes, that is a valid concern.

Small wrong would be OK. Big maintenance issues I'm sure would cost a ton.

I'm not planning to keep it past 5 or so years, and if I change my mind I'd assume there'd be enough out there by then (they are already the "falconadore" of inner melbourne / sydney - they are everywhere!!) that you could buy a DSG box or parts from the wreckers from ones who have been written off.

Its still under warranty so covered for now.

I know this is for business,but it is still a new vehicle,;)

My dual cab work vehicle was getting on with 130Ks on the clock,
I wasn't going to buy any more real-estate this year so I splurged out and bought myself a brand new one 52K.

I put down 30K of my own and chattel Mortage the rest.

I put my old one on ebay and sold it in a week for 17K (Cost a little over $8 to sell)

Now I want a new car after reading this thread :(

Attachments

• alloy-truck-2-5t.jpg
    alloy-truck-2-5t.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 71
Back