Naughty naughty - new car time

Got the car yesterday, and I am really happy with. Everything works well, and it has more power than anything I've ever driven - much quicker than my V8.

Handles really well, seems to understeer a fraction on the limit (which is fine). I haven't driven it hard yet, just given it a couple of squirts for fun. It doesn't have much power down low in the rev range, but get it on boost and sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Little things about it I like are the headlights (very powerful), and aircon (very effective). I'm using about 11l/100km so far, but it's still got less than 100km on the odo, and I've been playing a little, and driving it through the city. The only issue is when I've given it a tickle looking down and realising just how fast I'm going - it accelerates like nothing I've ever felt.

I'm driving down to the coast on Friday though - the mountain will be fun (coming back up, at least).

Got the car yesterday, and I am really happy with. Everything works well, and it has more power than anything I've ever driven - much quicker than my V8.
I'm driving down to the coast on Friday though - the mountain will be fun (coming back up, at least).

:D Enjoy! Any photos of the new baby?

The mountain will be a blast

The latest model has significantly more kw than the 2005 wrx I have owned, and that was a blast. Have fun! Keep an eye out for speed cameras ;)

The latest model has significantly more kw than the 2005 wrx I have owned, and that was a blast. Have fun! Keep an eye out for speed cameras ;)

Cheers.

I have to admit to being a bit more cautious now - several times I've given it a little squirt and looking down at the speedo has surprised me. Yesterday afternoon coming home I had a guy in front of me going just under the limit, and he kept changing lanes. When I got a bit of space I dropped it back to 3rd and opened it up, and when I got past him I was going over 40ks OVER the limit. Woops!

^Yup, be careful. I had a rex years ago & managed to lose quite a few demerit points. Haven't driven the newer versions but mine was heaps of fun (after modifying to increase the torque). It did understeer & I assume the handling would have improved since 2002. No one believed my assessment of the car having a crap handling chassis but loads of grip to compensate. Later I read a track review which came to the same conclusion. Of course, this was also why when it comes undone it really comes undone, and you would see P plated rexs wrapped around trees. :(

^^^^ That's what car clubs & track days are for ;)

If you want a fun day of driving, join a good car club & go to a club track day. Why you may ask???

Well, it will cost you less than a single speeding ticket, you won't get any demerit points on your licence, you won't run the risk of crashing into random things like trees, dogs, gutters or people (especially small children), you can speed ALL day long for that one flat fee and you can have little fun whilst learning to actually drive better through pushing yourself and your car :D

Enjoy the car! We all need a little excitement in lives... it would be terribly dull otherwise ;)

^^^^ That's what car clubs & track days are for ;)

If you want a fun day of driving, join a good car club & go to a club track day. Why you may ask???

Well, it will cost you less than a single speeding ticket, you won't get any demerit points on your licence, you won't run the risk of crashing into random things like trees, dogs, gutters or people (especially small children), you can speed ALL day long for that one flat fee and you can have little fun whilst learning to actually drive better through pushing yourself and your car :D

Enjoy the car! We all need a little excitement in lives... it would be terribly dull otherwise ;)

I'm thinking that some track work would be good. Realistically, it's just not safe to explore a fast car's limit on public roads, and a track means you can explore it however you like.

Taking your car to the track is one of the most exciting activities one can do. You perform to the limit of your senses and you really feel alive. I would recommend that everyone should give it a go. It also makes you a better driver and helps keep speeding off the streets.

You, do not need a high performance car to go to the track any well looked after car will be fine.

My car club usually holds its annual meet at Wakefield park raceway. I have made the long journey from Brisbane on several occasions however, it is well worth the effort. I usually try and get to the track at least six times a year.

Go the Rexy I had an MY99 and sold it before I got married, been wanting to get back into it since coming to Perth, lots of track days etc that I wanna attend. Hoping my IP's are successful in the future and get a MY11 STI second hand.

Can't mistake the boxer rumble :D

Well, drove the new WRX to the coast and back over the weekend. Bloody hell it's fast, much faster than my V8. Overtaking is phenomenal, and it sticks to corners like nothing I've ever driven.

The engine is starting to loosen up a little now (it feels quicker than when I got it), and I figure it will keep loosening for the next few thousand km. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Taking your car to the track is one of the most exciting activities one can do. You perform to the limit of your senses and you really feel alive. I would recommend that everyone should give it a go.

Agree! :)

It also makes you a better driver and helps keep speeding off the streets.

Agree on this too from several fronts:

1. I saw what can happen to cars and drivers when they come undone at speed. I've seen at Phillip Island: a formula ford disintegrate in front of me at turn 4; a torana do a roll onto it's roof at turn 2 (exit end of southern loop) - I swear I did not nudge him!; and the remains of a car go off at turn 10 and hit the embankment sideways. Fortunately only the last one required hospitalisation for the drivers involved.

2. You become absolutely paranoid driving on normal roads because (a) you have cars coming the other way :eek: (b) there are no flag marshalls at every turn black flagging idiots doing silly things and (c) I don't have my harness and helmet on. I seriously need to find out what the legalities are regarding driving on the road with my (road registered) helmet....

You, do not need a high performance car to go to the track any well looked after car will be fine.

Yep.... Always said you can test your skill much better on a Hyundai Getz doing 100km/h through a tight bend in the wet, than a AWD Porsche or Lambo doing twice that speed.... and just as much fun.

My car club usually holds its annual meet at Wakefield park raceway. I have made the long journey from Brisbane on several occasions however, it is well worth the effort. I usually try and get to the track at least six times a year.

For us in Melbourne, the club rounds can take you to Phillip Island, Calder, Winton (bloody long drive to get there!!) and Sandown. :cool:

The Y-man

Well, drove the new WRX to the coast and back over the weekend. Bloody hell it's fast, much faster than my V8. Overtaking is phenomenal, and it sticks to corners like nothing I've ever driven.

The engine is starting to loosen up a little now (it feels quicker than when I got it), and I figure it will keep loosening for the next few thousand km. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

The glory of power to weight ratios. It's great that you're enjoying your new car, I particularly like the model also.

Back