NCCP Act 2009: Lenders not permitted to 'call in' loans unless borrower is in default

Sorry Shadow but going to have to side with the experienced brokers who have said otherwise in this thread than agree with a random who has a few IPs.

The situation has never arisen, so no broker would have experienced a situation where a lender claims a borrower is in default, and then takes action against that borrower, simply because general house prices fell. Having said that, I am interested in their views, especially if one of them could back it up with a link to relevant loan clauses, and offer some good reasons as to why those clauses might override laws established by the NCCP Act and ASIC.

i have never actually heard of a bank calling in a resi loan but i know CBA did insert those clauses during the GFC.

An interesting thing happened to me a few years ago that tends to support Shadows thoughts.

A nice bank accidently lent me $400+k by mistake taking my LVR to around 115-120% on that property.

They realised the mistake 18 months later and came a calling, i replied that I had signed their contract that they prepared and had honoured my part and expected them to do the same.

They were less than keen on that and said they would speak to their legal team and i would hear from them which I never did which was lucky as I had spent the cash on deposits for 6 more ip's.

Its suggests their legal team told them to suck it as they did not have a legal leg to stand on as long as i made my repayments and meet all conditions of the contract which i did.

if one of them could back it up with a link to relevant loan clauses, and offer some good reasons as to why those clauses might override laws established by the NCCP Act and ASIC.
As I've already pointed out, the NCCP section that you quoted doesn't conflict with the CBA clause I already found (not that you'd admit it, go back and read it again and then read my response relating to how you mixed up the terminology). The ASIC document is an information sheet and hardly specific enough to be relied on.

You've got nothing Shadow (which conflicts with the CBA clause already provided).

You've got nothing Shadow

I've got official documents from ASIC and the 2009 NCCP Act.

You've got a CBA mortgage information booklet, which may or may not even relate to regulated loans, and which doesn't even say that CBA can claim a borrower is in default, and take action against that borrower, simply because general house prices fell.

Let me know when you find a link to any regulated loan contract with a clause that actually allows a lender to claim a borrower is in default, and take action against that borrower, simply because general house prices fell.

Amazing how we all sign loan contracts all the time yet this small detail is not picked up upon or memorised...then again it's probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Bigtone...did you have mortgages over other prop's with the same lender at the same time (and with equity)?

Also do you think it is possible that the bank officer who found out about the mistake swept it under the carpet?

What about a quick summary of what it says Terry?

I can't understand it sorry.

Take this as an example from the RPA
http://corrigan.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rpa1900178/s58.html

58 Power to sell

(1) Where a mortgagee, chargee or covenant chargee is authorised by section 57 (2) to exercise the powers conferred by this section, the mortgagee, chargee or covenant chargee may sell the land mortgaged or charged, or any part thereof, and all the estate and interest therein of the mortgagor, charger or covenant charger, and either altogether or in lots by public auction or by private contract, or both such modes of sale, and subject to such conditions as the mortgagee, chargee or covenant chargee may think fit, and to buy in and resell the same without being liable for any loss occasioned thereby, and to make and execute all such instruments as shall be necessary for effecting the sale thereof, all which sales, contracts, matters, and things hereby authorised shall be as valid and effectual as if the mortgagor, charger or covenant charger had made, done, or executed the same, and the receipt or receipts in writing of the mortgagee, chargee or covenant chargee shall be a sufficient discharge to the purchaser of such land, estate, or interest, or of any portion thereof, for so much of the purchaser’s purchase money as may be thereby expressed to be received.

I think that is just one sentance, but I am unable to read it all in one hit, so cannot be sure.

I think it says the mortgagee can sell the land mortgaged and, the subsection 3, allows the proceeds to be used to pay the debt owed to the mortgagee.

This power arises under s52(2) on the event of default
http://corrigan.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rpa1900178/s57.html

(2) A registered mortgagee, chargee or covenant chargee may, subject to this Act, exercise the powers conferred by section 58 if:

(a) in the case of a mortgage or charge, default has been made in the observance of any covenant, agreement or condition expressed or implied in the mortgage or charge or in the payment, in accordance with the terms of the mortgage or charge, of the principal, interest, annuity, rent-charge or other money the payment of which is secured by the mortgage or charge or of any part of that principal, interest, annuity, rent-charge or other money,

Which basically eans you if breach a condition of your mortgage agreement the mortgagee can exercise the power of sale.

cl 88 of Schedule 1 of the NCCP lists some requirements which must be met before a credit contract can be enforced. These requirements include period of default, service of notices, etc.

Bigtone...did you have mortgages over other prop's with the same lender at the same time (and with equity)?

Also do you think it is possible that the bank officer who found out about the mistake swept it under the carpet?

No other mortgages with that lender .

Given the loans on the property were over 1.5m and low doc and it was the mortgage insurer who picked up the mistake I am pretty sure they would have done whatever possible to get dollars back. Mortgage insurer told them the insurance was invalid and as lvr well over 100% they had to put loans on the balance sheet so it cost them plenty so I am positive they would have enforced any law if they could have.

Lower end banking staff are so useless it is scary, I know of many many many loans that still exist where the security has long been sold.

Right, so something would have to happen to trigger a revaluation (for example, borrower knocks down the house etc). That's fine - I have no problem with that.

As mentioned in the OP, I'm actually talking about a situation where a lender just decides that a person's home is worth less because house prices in general have fallen, and then tries to take action against the borrower by claiming the borrower is in default because house prices in general have fallen.

The NCCP Act 2009 and ASIC prevent the lenders from doing that, and I don't actually believe any lenders would have an enforceable clause in their regulated mortgage contracts stating that they can do this anyway.

agreed......the lender would have NIL chance of getting a judgement

ta
rolf

Does anyone know if most Banks loan papers still have a "ALL Monies Mortgage Clause", in there somewhere in secrecy,or a material change in circumstances-or immediate payment in full..

This is a brief summary of a discussion I have been having on another forum, and I thought some members here might be interested or have additional insight on this topic (especially the brokers here, and other people from the banking industry).

Some people (normally property bears) like to suggest that banks can 'call in' or 'margin call' or repossess the homes of borrowers who end up in negative equity simply because (through no fault of the borrower) house prices happen to fall/crash. They claim the banks can do this even if the borrower is keeping up with his repayments. One person has pointed to a statement in this CBA document to back up his claim. His document says...

It should be noted that the CBA document quoted above is not a contract - it is just an information booklet about home loans, and therefore non-binding, and not a legal document. Clause (c) is actually there to cover circumstances where a revaluation is triggered, for example due to the borrower knocking down the house. A general fall in house prices would not trigger a revaluation, and the CBA booklet doesn't even claim that it would.

In fact, the NCCP Act 2009 actually makes it quite clear that banks can't 'margin call', or repossess, or force the sale of a residential property unless the borrower has defaulted on repayments and subsequently failed to comply with a request to remedy that default.

National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009

Furthermore, ASIC stipulates the following conditions...

And regardless of the fact that banks have no legal right to take such action (repossession, forced sale etc) against homeowners who are not in default, it wouldn't be in the bank's interest to do so anyway. A loan is an asset to a bank. It would make no sense for a bank to repossess the home of a non-defaulting borrower and then force the sale of that home for less than the value of the loan. It wouldn't help the bank's balance sheet or financial position in any way.

Crikey.

You're overcomplicating this.

• A Bank can take possession/require full or partial repayment if loan is in default.
  • Whether a loan is in default is determined by reference to the contract.
  • Terms and Conditions (T's and Cs in the trade) form part of the contract.
  • These conditions vary by institution and by product.
  • They can relate to just about anything but can include ongoing requirements around the condition of the property, use of property, value of property or anything else (within reason) that is in the contract.

Also, it goes without saying that if the insititution enters into the contract as a result of fraud/misrepresentation on behalf of the borrower, you can call it in.

Been there.

Done that.

Crikey.

• A Bank can take possession/require full or partial repayment if loan is in default.
  • They can relate to just about anything but can include ongoing requirements around the condition of the property, use of property, value of property or anything else (within reason) that is in the contract.

Also, it goes without saying that if the insititution enters into the contract as a result of fraud/misrepresentation on behalf of the borrower, you can call it in.

Been there.

Done that.

Well put Token

Crikey.

Been there.

Done that.

Overcomplicated yeah !

I think I said that in one line :), however yours is much more specific and has correct spelling.

Def of default is whenever the lender deems u are in default under your agreement ........case closed

I have to laugh when I see the outcome of some indefensible actions in court of some borrowers trying to stave off the obvious. Its no wonder that lenders want a borrower to get independent legal,medical, and psych advice

ta
rolf

ta
rolf

Do you believe banks, using a regulated mortgage contract, can declare that a borrower has defaulted, and then repossess or force the sale of the property, simply because median house prices happened to fall?

Crikey.

Been there.

Done that.

the point of the thread really is what actually happens.

TF have u ever called in a resi loan with the only reason being that the value of the property had dropped from market forces? I have never seen it but ur experience would be more hands on.

Having seen the length of time, and hoops the bank had to jump thru, to repossess a house that WAS actually IN default (not mine - long story) I would seriously doubt they would bother, as long as the mortgage was paid ... even IF they had a legal right to.

And if the average house value has dropped significantly enough to warrant such action - how many mortgages on their books would they have to reposses? A move which, in itself, would trigger further falls.

Houses which would be underwater are most likely those that have LMI. So actually it isn't the bank's problem if they are conforming to the requirements of their agreement with the mortgage insurer. When/if they breach that agreement do you see major problems on the horizon.

the point of the thread really is what actually happens.

TF have u ever called in a resi loan with the only reason being that the value of the property had dropped from market forces? I have never seen it but ur experience would be more hands on.

In terms of relying the contract, only on LOCs. Not called in but reduced credit limits (allowable under ours and most Ts and Cs) by a lot, including to $0.

Have called in/required borrower to tip in funds on term loans as a result of becoming aware of LVR issues but did so leveraging other terms of the contract.:cool:

Back