Need a wireless network expert in Sydney

Can anyone recommend someone please. I'm sick of paying for people that don't fix it.

It appears that the access point is blocking the laptop from connecting. I can connect the laptop to an unsecured access point in the area.

Thanks!

I'm a Systems Administrator (IT Nerd) and will help if I can.. PM me with all the details of the problem

Include models of everything etc and exactly what is happening.. Have you reset the device to it's default configuration and started from scratch? this will remove any dodgy configuration from it that might be blocking the notebook from connecting..

We can go from there..

FrankGrimes said:
will remove any dodgy configuration from it that might be blocking the notebook from connecting..

We can go from there..

gezz sound like a dodgy answer to me.

Wireless Access Point dont just block connection if you dont deliberately configure it in the first place. sound more like incompatible WAP and wireless card and type of encryption use to secure the wireless network.

Thank you all for your help.

I decided to set up a completely new wireless network on the access point and the laptop and amazingly I connected. Touch wood, I'll stay connected!

ani
now a qualified nerd;)

Ani just make sure you are using some type of encryption, eg wep or wap.
You don't won't to be giving away bandwidth and download limits to your neighbours. ;) I don't remember exactly what the stats are but its around 70% of wireless networks are insecure. Just drive around your local area and you will pick up bucket loads of insecure wireless networks. It doesn't take much to set it up either and will stop most people from leaching off you.

Ace73 said:
Ani just make sure you are using some type of encryption, eg wep or wap.
You don't won't to be giving away bandwidth and download limits to your neighbours. ;) I don't remember exactly what the stats are but its around 70% of wireless networks are insecure. Just drive around your local area and you will pick up bucket loads of insecure wireless networks. It doesn't take much to set it up either and will stop most people from leaching off you.

Mine is secure thank you Ace:)
But it was VERY handy to have 3 unsecured ones close by when I was "testing" the laptop;)

DCA said:
gezz sound like a dodgy answer to me.

Wireless Access Point dont just block connection if you dont deliberately configure it in the first place. sound more like incompatible WAP and wireless card and type of encryption use to secure the wireless network.

Hmm thanks? There could have been mac address filtering on WAP, a good place to start is to start fresh eliminating any configuration errors.. Which is what Ani has done and it is working now

Most WAP's and WIC's are backwards compatible with previous standards so it will usually work without problems. Everytime I've had this issue it's usually MAC filtering or something similar someone has put on there and forgot about.

I wasted 3 hours trying to get two notebooks wirelessed at home the other day. I eventually realized one of them had a button above the keyboard for enabling bluetooth and wireless nic... now it is a dream. can't believe how stable g networks are nowadays....

I understand WEP is the new standard for security (wap is too compromised now), and then it is recommended you set file and printer sharing with netbui rather then tcp . Anyone do this????

thefirstbruce said:
I wasted 3 hours trying to get two notebooks wirelessed at home the other day. I eventually realized one of them had a button above the keyboard for enabling bluetooth and wireless nic... now it is a dream. can't believe how stable g networks are nowadays....

I understand WEP is the new standard for security (wap is too compromised now), and then it is recommended you set file and printer sharing with netbui rather then tcp . Anyone do this????

Yes, but with the firewall on the wireless router set to only allow INTERNAL File/printer sharing.

With WEP/ PSK set up - there's not much chance that a rogue wifi surfer can connect, and with internal only - it can't get out.

It's fairly common to do as you have suggested.

Cheers
a/c

thefirstbruce said:

WEP is insecure (even 128-bit), WPA and now WPA2 are much more secure.

IP is not inherently more or less than Netbeui, it is how you set it up. Don't use simple file sharing on windows (last option under tools->options), permission the directories/files you want to share (and even the share itself if you wish).

thanks doreilly, I got my wep and wap mixed. I understand wap is the newer protocol and the more secure.....and have read the same as you suggest....

Back