Need advice - floating floor board removal costs

Hi guys,

Have you ever had to remove floating floor boards for tiling? Someone in family is getting their place renovated and want to replace floorboards in lounge on ground floor and upstairs (4bedrooms + stairs) so tiles can be put in. The tiler has quoted $150 for removing floorboards downstairs and $150 tipping fee. Tiling will only be done downstairs and carpet will go on stairs and in the bedrooms.

So the relo has asked them to remove the floorboards on both ground floor and upstairs for $600 (including tipping fee). Although I've never done it myself to me this seems on the high end. The relo has contacted the council about costs for waste removal. However, can this be done cheaper than $600? I would have thought so.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.

Don't suppose the floorboards would come off in whole pieces would they? If there is a chance you could offer them for free in the local paper for anyone who wants to come and get them themselves..its amazing what people will sometimes take for free..

Don't suppose the floorboards would come off in whole pieces would they? If there is a chance you could offer them for free in the local paper for anyone who wants to come and get them themselves..its amazing what people will sometimes take for free..

I gave mine away to a good home and ripped them out myself when I put carpet in my PPOR. Admittedly some broke on removal and I just stuck them on the next council clean up.

Freecycle is a good place to offload things like this, assuming of course you don't find a taker on here :)

http://www.freecycle.org/group/AU/

It's also a good place to pick up unusual items..

Just out of curiosity, what's the fascination with tiles in bedrooms and lounges? Kitchens and bathrooms I understand but living areas I don't get.. They just feel so hard and uncomfortable. A few ip's we looked at recently were tiled throughout and they just felt wrong..

Dave I can ask for a pic for you. They are fine IMHO. But then I don't know about floating floorboards

Yes please :) I have a family room and kitchen that would look good in floating floors :)

Call it a investment advice fee ;-)

Hi guys,

Have you ever had to remove floating floor boards for tiling? Someone in family is getting their place renovated and want to replace floorboards in lounge on ground floor and upstairs (4bedrooms + stairs) so tiles can be put in. The tiler has quoted $150 for removing floorboards downstairs and $150 tipping fee. Tiling will only be done downstairs and carpet will go on stairs and in the bedrooms.

So the relo has asked them to remove the floorboards on both ground floor and upstairs for $600 (including tipping fee). Although I've never done it myself to me this seems on the high end. The relo has contacted the council about costs for waste removal. However, can this be done cheaper than $600? I would have thought so.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.
why not just sand them back,quick 2 pac job,end of story,once they rip up the floor area,and replace this is going to be costly in $$$$ terms..

why not just sand them back,quick 2 pac job,end of story,once they rip up the floor area,and replace this is going to be costly in $$$$ terms..

Willar, this is not an IP. It's a PPOR. So more a personal preference for them...

Yes please :) I have a family room and kitchen that would look good in floating floors :)

Call it a investment advice fee ;-)

:) Dave these floorboards are not mine but I've talked about it with my relative. Attaching some pics...The catch is, 4 bedrooms, lounge, hall way upstairs and the stairs' floorboards (all) need to be removed :) and all yours for free if you are happy to take them out on Saturday/Sunday 26th/27th May.

P.S. These pics were taken with the furniture that needs to be sold hence the way the pics are.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance ,,,,PPOR ?

and

I bet the next owner comes in and mutters to their partner ,,,,ill put a floating floor in.

personally I like tiles !

eden

Eden, PPOR = Principal place of residence

Who cares about the next owner? Property is a long term purchase and this is intended to be. Might as well not do any improvements to your home if you care more about what the 'next' owner will think.

Geez, they look great. Just wish I was in NSW as I am going to buy some soon for an IP reno - and in a very similar style too.

They should be able to sell these quite readily for some good cash. I don't think a tiler or anyone else would be tipping these either, they'd be selling them off to someone else for at least a grand or so on the side.

They will be taken out this weekend by someone on the forum :)

If I had storage I would have taken them. But they are going to be in safe hands for their IP

Someone else offered to 'might' come and 'have a look' (so it seemed they werent even sure) this weekend and offer a hand to the tradie taking them out. But the idea was to not pay someone to take them out. It's a win win both ways now.

Try and see if the boards have been glued together if so they won't be much good. Also sometimes people glue floating floors directly to the slab or to the foam underlay if that's the case they are no good again, either way they arent worth that much as floating floor is cheap. Make sure your careful pulling the beading off too don't damage the skirts. I pull up these floors on a regular basis and I can tell you we just pull the beading and run a circular saw through it a few times and rip it in big sections and straight in the bin. No chance of selling it for a grand on the side lol

Back