Need advice...

Jaycee, the reason no-one can see that its a quote, is you didnt quote.
use the quote button
or
wrap the quote in [noparse][/noparse] tags.
then nobody will mistake somebody else's drivel for your drivel.

Kathryn is giggling at my calling her drivel, drivel​
Bum, Wylie beat me to it

However, we have all accidently deleted the [ or ] at either end of the quote ... just a case of checking after you hit post, and going in for an edit if it's wrong. Bit like the spelling thing.

However, we have all accidently deleted the [ or ] at either end of the quote ... just a case of checking after you hit post, and going in for an edit if it's wrong. Bit like the spelling thing.[/QUOTE

but then it would look like this, so you would still know it was a quote

I think Lizzie meant the
, ie the whole "thing".

It took me a while to even learn how to quote. I felt quite clever and special when I did learn it :D

For the sake of going "off topic" - I still haven't worked out how to bring several quotes from several different posts onto the one reply.

Nah - don't bother trying to teach me!

Nah - don't bother trying to teach me!
the button next to quote (in the posts)
you then click that for every post you want to quote and click post reply (not quick reply) and its all there just delete what you dont need from each post

whirlpool forum has a script you can download (if you use firefox, chrome) and have the addon greasemonkey
at least i think its in the script, its called quick quote where you highlight the text you want to quote and its quotes the highlighted text into the quick reply box so you can quote only the piece you want not the whole post

Righto you lot, back OT :)

Hi Steve,

I would favour buying a place in the Gong if Mum is prepared to live there. It is true she could rent it out in the meantime but what happens if sister moves or gets divorced as well.

If she is happy sharing a house then perhaps she could buy in Dee Why and rent rooms, it does work on 2 levels, firstly she gets some income to pay the maintenance costs and secondly she has company should anything go wrong.

I am fairly sure that the rent received would be taken into account when pension time rolls round so she may not get a full pension.

In the meantime I do think that she would be mentally and physically healthier if she had a job, life is pretty boring and unhealthy just loafing around.

Nice to see you being involved in your Mums life :D

This is what I am thinking. She is currently renting a 3 bedroom place and renting two of the bedrooms to one of her friends and a friend of a friend, so she is used to the idea of sharing a house and actually I think prefers it.

From what I have read her options are:

1) Rent and live of the interest. I dont like this one as it seems to be a waist of a good opportunity. ie ending up with nothing seems pretty sad after getting the money.

2) Buy a townhouse in Deewhy, rent out a room and then go onto the pension. Is it better to get a loan and pay it off or buy the house in full?

or 3) She was is also thinking of moving to Wollongong where my sister lives... But doesn't want to move down straight away. Maybe she could buy a house down there, rent it, then move down if or when she wants while still renting up in Dee Why, that way she can stay in dee why while building up some assets.

Also Kathryn and Bigtone I came on here for advice from experts, not uninformative opinions, this is my mum we are talking about!

This is what I am thinking. She is currently renting a 3 bedroom place and renting two of the bedrooms to one of her friends and a friend of a friend, so she is used to the idea of sharing a house and actually I think prefers it.

From what I have read her options are:

1) Rent and live of the interest. I dont like this one as it seems to be a waist of a good opportunity. ie ending up with nothing seems pretty sad after getting the money.

2) Buy a townhouse in Deewhy, rent out a room and then go onto the pension. Is it better to get a loan and pay it off or buy the house in full?

or 3) She was is also thinking of moving to Wollongong where my sister lives... But doesn't want to move down straight away. Maybe she could buy a house down there, rent it, then move down if or when she wants while still renting up in Dee Why, that way she can stay in dee why while building up some assets.

Also Kathryn and Bigtone I came on here for advice from experts, not uninformative opinions, this is my mum we are talking about!

2. does she qualify for the pension? DSP? with the cash left out of the 1m she will probably only get a part pension.

3. sounds like she doesn't know what she wants to do. perhaps she should wait a while before buying anything.

yeah $1m is nice but not really enough to keep her in the style accustomed do, i suggest hiding the $1m in a bank account somewhere is someone else's name then marry and take down another sucker for at least $2m this time.

then her never going to work again lifestyle can be maintained until the grave.

I guess you and I have misplaced our rose tinted glasses.

Steve, tell us how it turned out in a few years.

Righto you lot, back OT :)

Hi Steve,

I would favour buying a place in the Gong if Mum is prepared to live there. It is true she could rent it out in the meantime but what happens if sister moves or gets divorced as well.

If she is happy sharing a house then perhaps she could buy in Dee Why and rent rooms, it does work on 2 levels, firstly she gets some income to pay the maintenance costs and secondly she has company should anything go wrong.

I am fairly sure that the rent received would be taken into account when pension time rolls round so she may not get a full pension.

In the meantime I do think that she would be mentally and physically healthier if she had a job, life is pretty boring and unhealthy just loafing around.

Nice to see you being involved in your Mums life :D

Hi Macca thanks for the reply. I agree her life would be more fulfilling and easier if she had a job, but she has never worked, dad brought in the coin and she look after the family (Which she did a good job of). She is a good person and so is my dad they were married for 27 years, no short stint but slowly drifted apart. I think she is scared to work, but this is another topic.

I will tell my mum the that she can buy in Wollongong but doesn't have to live there, or buy here as long as someone lives with her. Would it be bad if she eventually never lived in the Wollongong (if she bought there)?? She would still receive rent and capital growth right?

Or what about renting in Dee Why and buying a cheaper house in an area like Penrith or Mt Druitt and living of the rent and gaining some capital growth?

Also I was thinking about getting an expert to help, such a Patrick Bright from EPS Property and asking them to find a property and renovate it to create capital and an income??

Also the reason I would prefer my mum didn't rent is:

1) If she rents and still has a large chunk of money in the bank when pension time comes she might not be eligible for the pension, as aposed to if she put her money into a PPOR.
2) If she wanted to move she could sell in 10 or 20 years with some extra cash, or rent it out and rent a smaller place in Sydney or Wollongong. While still going forwards rather than backwards.

Please let me know if im on the wrong track as I am new to this. Cheers :)

Also the reason I would prefer my mum didn't rent is:

1) If she rents and still has a large chunk of money in the bank when pension time comes she might not be eligible for the pension, as aposed to if she put her money into a PPOR.
2) If she wanted to move she could sell in 10 or 20 years with some extra cash, or rent it out and rent a smaller place in Sydney or Wollongong. While still going forwards rather than backwards.

Please let me know if im on the wrong track as I am new to this. Cheers :)

Have you checked on the assets limits to be able to qualify for the pension? easily found on the centrelink webste.

Have you checked on the assets limits to be able to qualify for the pension? easily found on the centrelink webste.

I checked the centrelink website and to get the full pension the limit of assets must be less than $686,000 with an income less than $150 per week.

But this does not include your principal home. "the value of any real estate, including holiday homes, you own (this does not include your principal home)"

So I think buying an investment home wouldn't be the best option, but to by a home and live in it. This brings me back to the point that I believe the money would be better sitting in a home rather than a bank.

I checked the centrelink website and to get the full pension the limit of assets must be less than $686,000 with an income less than $150 per week.

But this does not include your principal home. "the value of any real estate, including holiday homes, you own (this does not include your principal home)"

So I think buying an investment home wouldn't be the best option, but to by a home and live in it. This brings me back to the point that I believe the money would be better sitting in a home rather than a bank.

the asset limit for full pension is $186,750. 686k is the limit for a part pension. this is for a home owner. the income limit for full pension is $150 per fortnight not per week.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/chartab.htm
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/chartc.htm

I think that she should buy a modest place in the area she likes (Dee Why), and get a boarder to help with expenses.
Invest the remainder in something safe. Live within her means, or seek extra income.

Otherwise if she isn't careful with the $$$ and likes a certain lifestyle, they will run out in NO TIME. Then she will have nothing, no $$$ or house. At 56, she needs to stretch it a long way.

Plus the house/unit will be a CGT free asset, that should maintain or grow in value.

Back