Need help for buying house !

Melbourne help

Dear All,

Can you please give us some suggestions for where to buy in Melbourne ?

Below is the basic requirements:

recommend place with budget of 400k to 550k
3 bedroom, double garage (if possible) if not single is okay, easy access to 20 min walk min to train station , within 25km of city .
I would like to prefer this is a backyard.

any comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks !

Best Rgds

Lady.J

Hi
your best bet by far is to use a good Buyers Agent and the best in Melbourne is
Buyers Advocate Australia - contact Gil Williams
Director
Tel: 61 3 9818 4499
Fax: 61 3 9818 8599
Cheers
James

Hi
your best bet by far is to use a good Buyers Agent and the best in Melbourne is
Buyers Advocate Australia - contact Gil Williams
Director
Tel: 61 3 9818 4499
Fax: 61 3 9818 8599
Cheers
James

wow..Thank you so much, James !
I will pass the information to my fiance for contact.

Great report, thanks for taking the time. I actually live on Waratah Drive in one of those McMansions. We bought our block in 2000 for $75,000, friends who own vacant blocks on Waratah, (only a couple left) have been offered more than $400,000 for them, so not a bad investment I guess. At the time we bought our block we also looked at Sanctuary Lakes, the blocks at Sactuary Lakes were 40% more expensive than for similar block in our estate, now you would pay more for a block on our side of the creek. We love it here, and I actually enjoy the smell of the wood fires. We have had ducks and frogs in our pool, and many blue tongue lizards in our backyard, as we back on to a bird life reserve. Just have to watch out for tiger snakes, all our surrounding neighbours have had them visit, so far we have been lucky.
If you come over our way again drive through the Altona Bay area of Altona Meadows Tatman Drive/ Pollywoodside drive etc. Curvy roads, interesting street scapes, quaint liittle courts, all backing on to Cheetham Wetlands and bush, and all tightly held as it is a secret and special area. You have to visit the 100 steps of federation, I think its the best view of Port Phillip bay in Melbourne, panoramic. Lots of great retro houses in Altona Bay, love it, and it's just getting better.

Thanks for your reply, investwest !
We would like to visit your area ..then I saw you write about the tiger snakes:eek:..that's the animal i am afriad most !:mad:

The original poster asked if there were Chinese restaurant nearby and location is currently marked China - so I assume having a Chinese community in or nearby is important to her.

The Y-man

You are right, Y-Man !
I prefer to have some Chinese restaurant nearby since I am from China.
and close to Chinese community is important for me. but it is not a must !:p

UPDATE -- After my fiance's visit to Altona Meadows and PC, then we don't really put thoes two suburb as our first choice. but we will still consider it if there is a house we really like.

Now we moved our choise more to the east which we are interested suburbs:

endeavour hills
bayswater
ferntree gully
rowville
doveton
ringwood

( more interested in endeavour hills and ringwood)

We keep looking at houses in the realestate.com. but we don't know much about above suburbs. if you think some of them are very good or have already lived there. your comments will be much appreciated.Thanks !:p

Best Rgds

Lady.J

I have only run over a tiger snake once in waratah, actually the mower cut it up, so I wouldnt worry about snakes as they are really all over the melbourne metropolitan area living in storm water drains and creeks etc.

I personally dislike Endeavour Hills. I find it really characterless, and boring, and, well, suburban. It only has shopping centres (I prefer strip shops) and no train station. Think of it as what Point Cook will look like in 20 years.

Ringwood has character AND a station and, well, just a better vibe.

Having said that, I'll qualify by admitting a cultural bias toward older, more established areas. If you are Chinese, you may prefer, newer, cleaner, more sterile places.

As for numbers - I'll let you do your own research on that - I don't follow either suburb.

LadyJ

my 5c worth

What you also need to consider is school zones, freeways and traffic congestion.

I can't state re budget but I can tell you that Rowville is subject to traffic jams along the freeway and given the sheer amount of building there, I don't think its ideal for capital growth. Public transport is not good either.

The freeway extension to Frankston has greatly improved travel times to Ringwood, ferntree gully and bayswater. Ringwood is the best for train as it is a major train station so the trains can run express. From memory, somewhere near the freeway extension, the state govt will be building a new select entry school. IMO this will also affect property prices & rental, as lets face it, if you can get schooling for free, why not move there?

Endeavour hills may or may not be in the zone for Glen Waverley Secondary. You are dependent on buses or driving to the station.

If you are Chinese, you can shop for chinese groceries at Box Hill, Springvale and Glen Waverley. I'm not sure re Ringwood or Knox, as I've never looked for it there.

Just looking at the Lilydale/Belgrave trains lines in the east. To get a 3bdr house with backyard within walking distance of the station under $500K I suspect you are looking near stations beyond Ringwood.

Maybe Bayswater or Boronia.

Definitely Croydon area.

Ringwood itself is tricky. South of the train line there may be some houses within the price range. However anything north of the train line within walking distance is zoned for higher density development and therefore you will be priced out by developers.

Forget Heathmont. It is really nice but therefore pricey.

Basically each station you move out takes up to $50K off the price.

e.g. Blackburn you are looking around $750K. Nunawading a bit less. Mitcham probably $650K. I assume Heatherdale is cheaper again. Ringwood itself is complicated by being an "activity zone". By Ringwood East and Croydon I think you will start seeing properties fall in your price range. Similarly with Bayswater/Boronia.

UPDATE -- After my fiance's visit to Altona Meadows and PC, then we don't really put thoes two suburb as our first choice. but we will still consider it if there is a house we really like.

Now we moved our choise more to the east which we are interested suburbs:

Best Rgds

Lady.J

Good choice Lady.J

Your fiance is a wise man to steer clear of the west, very dangerous and overall smelly due to the industry and sewerage plant over there.
The east is better for too many reasons to list here, and hence the higher price.

Go east I say!!!!!!!

Your fiance is a wise man to steer clear of the west, very dangerous and overall smelly due to the industry and sewerage plant over there.

What a stupid comment. :rolleyes:

Lady.J, I suggest you do your own research, there are plenty of places in the east I wouldn't go near as a PPOR. As a very general statement, yes I would say I prefer the east personally, but there are still areas in the west I would prefer over certain areas in the east. I would suggest you research areas that suit you, and not listen to such nonsense generalised comments such as above.

yes very dangerous.

Good choice Lady.J

The east is better for too many reasons to list here, and hence the higher price.

Go east I say!!!!!!!
Very dangerous place to live in the West, they dont call it the wild west for nothing.those tiger snakes. I get scared every time I walk out my door. I just don't understand why Julia insists on living here when she could easily move into the Lodge right now. Never, ever drive over that Westgate bridge, you probably wont come back. And the stench over here is incredible, have to put a peg on my nose when I go shopping, my husband calls me Peggy Sue.

have to agree, sick of the house work.

Ms. Biggles thankyou!

That's correct, provided one is happy. I agree, strange tastes indeed one has wanting to do the housework of a McMansion. :eek:

I have to agree, probably wouldn't build a double story again, sick of the house work!!!!! but then again like the fact that we can chuck our kids upstairs.

Thanks for all of your nice comments, Dear all !:p

I wish i can be there now so that i can have a better view...My fiance is still checking which area is best for us to buy the house. We will update you if there is any news turns up ! Thanks again ! :p

help?

I have been seriously looking at Altona Meadows in the past 6 months with a view to either purchase a home or land to build on. The area is in close proximity to everything beach, shops, transport, schools and a family type area.

After some research there is a pocket in the northwestern corner that seems to be quite nice, being waratah bld near skeleton creek, that has a number of vacant blocks. I have contacted two of the owners with an offer I considered reasonable only to be told by one owner the going rate is $400k and the 2nd person telling me he would not accept anything less than $850k (I think he was trying to say no to me in a nice way).

$400k is getting quite high as to build a nice home will set one back approx $400k to build plus land = $800k total cost. But then again, houses in that pocket are selling between $650k to $850K.

I had a look at point cook, which is further out and land prices are high there as well, but the new pocket where land is to be cut, I think its called saltwater coast, is just a bit "out" of everything.

What are peoples thoughts on the price of land in altona meadows the size being approx 650sq mts. I have a strange feeling that $400k maybe close to the mark for the size in that pocket?

Back