Need help with granny flat layout

Hi Westminster,

I only have the before photo so far, being living so far from the site. Would try to get some pics from the builder as project progresses.

The red door garage is where the granny flat will be. Rolling door will be replaced by a wall with a door and a window. And a fire-rated wall will be built on one side of the garage wall (one close to land boundary). Most of the other changes will be inside the structure, like reassembling the old kitchen and lining-up the wall inside. There is currently already a fence between the lawn of the main house and gf and separate entry to the lawns, so that will be kept as is.

The only thing is that main house and gf will share the same driveway. And gf tenants will need to park off-street, which shouldn't be a problem as the property is located at the end of a quiet crescent with ample parking place. We'd need to ask main house tenant not to park too close to the front door of granny flat though. I'm currently thinking on how this could be practically enforced without needing further council approval, maybe a row of big pot plants in front of the granny flat windows? Please let me know if you have any idea.

Re. tenants, we're currently looking for new tenants for the main house. I am willing to provide $20pw discount to the rent while gf development is on. Hope we find suitable tenants soon.

Btw, I really enjoy reading your threads on development. Hope I could do similar thing in future :)

Attachments

• 84578221pio12112807.jpeg
    84578221pio12112807.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 104
I would use a few big concrete planter boxes about 1-2m away from the front of the GF to help define the parking areas and give them some front definition.

Thanks! :)

Yes, that's the one I was thinking too, something like attached pic.

Attachments

• venicre-trough-planters-concrete-garden-pots-1.jpg
    venicre-trough-planters-concrete-garden-pots-1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
Some piccies.

Received an update from Blue Gum yesterday, the GF is on track. The bathroom window is sealed now and wall lined, so that side of the wall should be ready for fireproofing soon. The rolling door is also down now and change is underway for door and window to be installed in its place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 79
For some reasons I couldn't upload more than a pic into a post, so uploading them separately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
And more pics....

It's really getting there....

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 78
thanks Shahin! :)

funny you mentioned development, we're actually thinking about possible development for our land in Orange. we're looking subdividing and building at the other side of the land when our IP there burned down! initial enquiry from planner indicated that we could possibly build 3 sets of duplex there :)

we're currently living overseas though, so unless we could get a trusted guy who could help us with it, that plan will probably needs to be pushed back until we're back.

westminster & twodogs - thanks! :)

twodogs - re. planning, it's proven a bit of challenge being located so far away. i've done few reno projects before for larger build in nsw regional from sydney, but find that doing it from farther away needs a bit more time buffer and adjusted expectations :D

the main house is rented now to a nice couple, with $20 rent discount for the first 6w. my pm is putting the ad for gf in domain.com.au today, hope we could rent it out soon!

westminster & twodogs - thanks! :)

twodogs - re. planning, it's proven a bit of challenge being located so far away. i've done few reno projects before for larger build in nsw regional from sydney, but find that doing it from farther away needs a bit more time buffer and adjusted expectations :D

Even more impressed then, I no longer do anything by remote as I have proven it is not one of my skills! You must have some good people working for you, well done.

thanks for your kind words, Twodogs. yes, i'm lucky to know and get referred to some good trusted tradies. i don't think i'd dare or be able to do anything remotely otherwise.

thanks Shahin! :)

funny you mentioned development, we're actually thinking about possible development for our land in Orange. we're looking subdividing and building at the other side of the land when our IP there burned down! initial enquiry from planner indicated that we could possibly build 3 sets of duplex there :)

we're currently living overseas though, so unless we could get a trusted guy who could help us with it, that plan will probably needs to be pushed back until we're back.

wow 3 sets of duplexes is huge - how big is the land? have you done a feasibility study?

Hi Shahin - the land is 2100sqm+ in 2 titles.

someone from SS helped me with feasibility study. he had a chat with council and confirmed about possibility of having 3 duplexes there, but unfortunately wasn't able to complete the study because of other commitments. i have some prelim numbers on current land value, est. sale price for 2-bed and 3-bed duplexes, etc. but am now looking for someone who could help me with things like subdivision and built costs etc., as don't really have any experience with building from scratch. so if anyone know someone trustworthy who could help me with the study, please let me know.

what i'm thinking of is doing it bit by bit, ie. built a set of duplex in the smaller land, then subdivide the bigger land and built the other sets one at a time.

It's done!

there were several delays, but the granny flat is finally completed. the final inspection is underway, and fingers crossed oc will be issued tomorrow or the day after.

please see attached some pics. as mentioned in prev post, the through planters are there to give the place a bit of privacy and to avoid main house tenants parking to close to gf. they'd be moved forward around 2m from the gf.

Attachments

• IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG