Neighbour request

Hi Members

I had just been approached by one side of my neighbour.

He advised that the pine tree similar to attached file which was planted in my front yard should be chopped off.

According to this neighbour, those five little pine trees with the size of one metre in height and 30 cm in width each was planted too close to the fence and it will damage his brick fence which he built over 2 decades ago.

I can confirm that the pine tree was planted approxiamately 20 cm against the fence.

These are the question that I have not got an answer yet.

Do pine tree roots grow wildly?

Could these small trees damage the brick fence?

Can the members assist?

t

Attachments

• pine_tree-119211.jpg
    pine_tree-119211.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 108
I wouldn't have a clue about most plants, but I do know that pine trees grow really tall and I'm sure we can all think of plenty of examples where the radius of a pine tree's trunk is greater than 20cm.

If allowed to grow, sooner or later it's reasonable to assume that the pine tree would start to effect the wall.

There are trees that are suitable for suburban backyards - and pine trees ain't one of them.

Neither are the two flippin' humungous lemon gums currently in my backyard wee ... some people should be shot for planting such inappropriate plants

Unless its a dwarf pine, it will get big. Even needle pines get to 6+ metres and have a spreading root ball.

You can generally take the drip line (circumference of the widest branches) and that is roughly the extent of the root system. I would say your pine trees drip line will reach a drip line radius of 20cm quite fast. Best to move it now if you can....Or grow some veggies :)

Dividing fences act... I think it is 1898

A very dull read, but it will have all the bits about your rights and responsibilities in it, it as also 'suitably vague' about other bits. Like trees, fruit, {and possibly pine cones}
Have a read, knowledge is power
I hope this helps

I think it is a bit of fire hazard because of all the dry stuff inside those nice green branches. If it grows really tall then it may attract lighting as well.
I asked my neighbour to chop it as it was too close to our roof. They agreed. I arranged everything but they paid half.

If the trees don't grow big or cause damage, he really doesn't really need to ask you for action.

However if they do grow, he is doing the right thing by taking action before it becomes an expensive thing for you. If they do grow he is allowed to cut off anything which hangs over his fence- as long as he doesn't do onto your land without permission to do so. He also has the right to repair his fence at your expense if the trees do damage it.

If you know the variety of the tree you can find out how big it can get. If you don't take a picture to your local nursery. And then get advice as to what would be suitable to plant in that spot.

Sell it.

It's better to sale it now.

as all above mention
1) the root system might damage the property in future.
2) sale the trees before it turns to the expense for you

Yes they will grow huge. My neighbours have two planted right up against their house, I have been telling them for years that they should get rid of them, but they like them and so far at only two metres they think they are lovely. So much lack of foresight.

Well, I have just asked my husband his opinion and he thinks as long as you keep them pruned to around the size in the picture then you will be fine. If you just let it grow then yes they will be a problem and best to move them.

He works in pine plantations daily so he knows a little bit about them.

Yes because selling the house is a simpler solution than removing the trees

Property is 5 years old.

The pine trees more likely thuja occidentalis species, are also approxiamately 5 yrs old as well.

I believed the builder put the tree there as a decorator. Not for other reason.I took some sample of the tree cut to nursery but the sample is too small to determine if they are dwarf or not. Currently the height of the trees are just over one meter tall . for the 5 years old pine, it may be a dwarf..

http://cvetq.info/e107_images/newspost_images/thuja_occidentalis.jpg

Dave,

Before taking your advise to sell the property, i may choose below options first.

1. Move the trees
2. cut the trees
3. Dig the soil and put the trees on the big pot and put them back to the same spot this will prevent the tree to growth taller or bigger, i was told.

Btw, the trees are standing next to the fence brick, not the rear of the house.

t

Attachments

• thuja_occidentalis.jpg
    thuja_occidentalis.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 68
Back