Neighbour stole our firewood! (Aka the tree pun thread)

:eek:

I was totally gobsmacked. A few months back we paid to have a large tree dropped on our 10 acre block and cut into massive rings. We then stacked it for drying and ready for splitting for winter.

We've since put the block up for sale but intended taking the firewood with us to our new property for the combustion fireplace ... but ... was out there two days ago and noticed our pile was missing.

Someone stole it! :mad:

Drove down the road and spied all our lovely firewood partially split and stacked up against a fence 3 doors down! What the ...? They had gone thru their neighbours closed gate, onto private property and pinched it.

I understand that with the block for sale they may have thought we didn't want it - but the wood was stacked neatly and obviously not just lying around unwanted - and I am out at the block every couple of days so they could've asked. But no - pure and simple stealing - no different (in my book) than pinching someone's garden plants or furniture just because their house is for sale.

Anyhow's - left a note in their letterbox today "Please return the stolen firewood immediately and there will be no police involvement or questions asked. You have until Friday. Thank you, The Owners (address)" and took photographs of the wood stacked against the fence.

The cheek of some people :eek: - be interesting to see if our firewood returns - if not I'm undecided whether to actually report it to the police or let it go. It's about $1,000 worth of wood, plus labour.

Yeah that's wrong, but I can't say I have never done that:) Actually is quite common in areas where there are lots of 'non locals' per se.

I think people don't really see it as stealing, 'we got a nice fire going here, nobody lives next door, son why don't you jump over the fence and grab some of the neighbours firewood'.

It's not right though.

When we were building our PPOR our rear neighbour stole our 3 garbage bins.

The poor attending police officer had to point out our address clearly painted on the bins that the previous owner had marked to a person claiming that they had paid for the extra bins from Council.

Some people have no idea.

A serious post from me (for a change).

We live on a large bushy block.

We arrived home one day, and found the neighbour on our block with a wheelbarrow. He was picking up rocks for his rock wall.

I didn't mind the rocks going- I didn't have any use for them- but I was upset that he just came to take them without asking. Had he asked, I woul have been happy to give permission.

I'd be furious. I think I would have gone and knocked on their door. We have people knocking off wood from here occasionally, but at least we have 50+ acres off the stuff so a few trees doesn't mean too much loss for us, but it's still wrong they do it without asking. I'd be really mad if my husband had taken the time and effort to cut it and then someone took it.

I would report it. If you had left a lawnmower and garden tools there and they came and took them just because you weren't living there I bet you wouldn't hesitate to report it. Your firewood is probably worth more.

Hi Lizzie,

Apparently stolen firewood burns hotter:confused:

A concerned neighbour rings up the police because he suspects his next door neighbour Clifford to be hiding cannabis in his firewood.The police arrive at the mans house and start chopping up all his firewood. They find nothing, swear at the man, pack up and leave.A few seconds later the neighbour gets a phone call."It's Tony, did the police come and chop your firewood", "yeh mate they did", "Happy Birthday Clifford".

Apparently if the neighbours want to contest that it is from your tree, there are plant DNA (?) tests available...if you can believe CSI shows.

I'd be angry too.
If it was free, you would have put a sign up stating so.

Back