Neighbour's Powerline over property

Just thinking about this situation and would there be a problem.

Suppose you have a property, and your property is fed from a powerline from across the road and the lead in line sweaps across your front yard until it connects to the RHS front of your house (facing from the street). The neighbour to the right also has their power connected, but on the LHS front of their house, which means their lead in cable sweeps across your front yard.

Now lets say you got permission to add a carport to the front of your house, towards the LHS where the power connects (and the neighbours power cable passes over. In doing this there could be an issue with the proximity of the power cable and the carport roof. What would happen in this situation, will the power company take power from another pole and relocate at their or neighbours expense. or would it become my problem?

In most cases the electricity supplier ensures that power serving adjoining properties don't go across the land of the adjoining owners. In all likelihood that would require an electricity easement.

I had this scenario with my PPOR. Ergon put a line direct from a pole on my next door neighbour's lot to my house. My neighbour (@$$h0le - whole another story) wrote this humdinger of a letter accusing us of what he called 'electrically trespassing' his property and carried on like a pork chop.

I just called Ergon, and they came out in 2 days and changed it to a line direct off the line in front - no sweat. Was their fault, not mine. I'm not a High Wire Electrician, so how would I know.

pinkboy

Your powerline isn't allowed to cross someone else's block at all. In this case you would complain that the line crosses your boundary and they would have to move it.

Back