Neighbours tree hit my house

I arrived home yesterday afternoon to find fireys in my backyard. A tree from my neighbours yard had fallen over, crashed through the back fence and landed up against the back wall and over onto my roof :(

I'm still waiting to get an inspector from my insurance out to assess the damage. I have a hole torn in the tin roof, no internal water damage that I have seen through the ceiling as yet. The SES have covered the hole with a tarp for now.

Annoyed I have to pay my insurance excess to cover damage caused by someone else. Not exactly getting a speedy response from the insurance either.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Is it really something cause by someone else? The neighbour didnt cause it (unless there are certain circumstances??) & the fact that you arent able to remove trees without jumping through a lot of government hoops may be the reason the tree was still there.

It does suck, but its just the same as a tree from a park behind or beside your block or something like that falling in to your property from a storm or whatever reason. Its an unlucky circumstance.

Sorry to hear about that and I hope insurance goes through smoothly. One positive may be that you will get a new fence & possibly some little extras.

be a bonus if you took some pics while the tree was there...your ins co will claim against the others owners policy or if they dont have ins against them personally.

do not let the insurance company short change you on anything, check every little thing and claim on it if damaged..........

if the house needs painting again so be it............if they cant match the paint properly, get the whole lot done so to speak..

dont accept a certain price from an insurance company....they will try and save a buck if they can............

Is it really something cause by someone else? The neighbour didnt cause it (unless there are certain circumstances??) & the fact that you arent able to remove trees without jumping through a lot of government hoops may be the reason the tree was still there.

The tree had termite damage that the neighbours already knew about. I think you have a good attitude about it though, **** happens.

be a bonus if you took some pics while the tree was there...your ins co will claim against the others owners policy or if they dont have ins against them personally.

do not let the insurance company short change you on anything, check every little thing and claim on it if damaged..........

if the house needs painting again so be it............if they cant match the paint properly, get the whole lot done so to speak..

dont accept a certain price from an insurance company....they will try and save a buck if they can............

I've got photos of the damage.

I should probably get another roof repairer out to have a look to ensure everything gets sorted out under insurance.

Annoyed I have to pay my insurance excess to cover damage caused by someone else. Not exactly getting a speedy response from the insurance either.
=

always your option to have a zero excess with your policy...you cant have your cake and eat it to! :)

either you have a reasonable premium or pay a higher amount for the zero excess...

decisions with these issues rest with yourself

always your option to have a zero excess with your policy...you cant have your cake and eat it to! :)

either you have a reasonable premium or pay a higher amount for the zero excess...

decisions with these issues rest with yourself

Too true, I set the excess to $1000 so I'll just have to suck it up.

i have never had a policy without a zero excess...

all deductable if the place is a rental.....

takes little to rack up a grand worth of damage these days..

with a car insurance policy its also wise to pay the extra to cover a vehicle rental while your car is being fixed,,,,time to fix it can drag out for months sometimes..

good luck with your insurance accessor,.......sickem rex!

Well the decent thing to have done would've been for your neighbour to offer to pay the excess on the policy. I'll be crossing them off your Christmas list this year!

Yeahhhh , the neighbour to one of my places has a 25mt tree 10 mtrs away from my roof top, me been worried for two yrs. It would splatter the lot .
He reckoned two yrs ago he was going to cut it right back to 7 mtrs , meanwhile we've had the wildest whether ever over there and he still hasn't got around to it . I don't wanna get pushy but how it didn't come down in the last 12 mths is beyond me , hard ground I think luckily so it's pretty well anchored .

Cheer

has he applied for council permission.

you have to get council approval even for some minor pruning of trees - and it can be an expensive exercise due to needing arborists reports and council fees etc. and even then they can reject the application

even more expensive to get them cut down - if you can somehow obtain permission (which unless the tree is a danger to life and limb or seriously diseased, then you won't get it).

Dunno Lizzie , doubt he'd even bother .

He'll just wake up one morning when his in the mood , call a mate over and do the doo .
I think he'll get around to it sooner or later .

Back