Neighbours water supply in Body Corporate

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you can help me out here. One of my neighbours bought their townhouse in my complex a couple of years ago. What they didn't realise at the time was that the tap for the water supply to their townhouse had been buried beneath some paving done by the previous owners.

This has since caused the problem that they have to turn off the water to the whole complex whenever they need to do even the most simple things such as change a washer.

They've now gone and got quotes to locate the tap, however they seem to think that the bill for this should be picked up by the body corporate. I think seeing as it is on their land and for their tap that they should pay for the bill themselves. What does everyone else think? I'm going to ask our body corporate manager, but he usually takes several days to reply so thought I'd put it on here first.

It is a single meter for the whole complex. Each townhouse has a supply tap within the boundary of their land (not common land) and that is what the neighbours are looking for. All the other townhouses have their taps where the initial plans say they are located but this neighbour doesn't want to dig up his nice pavers in order to see if that's correct (cause it states the taps right underneath the middle of them). I don't think it's our problem though.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you can help me out here. One of my neighbours bought their townhouse in my complex a couple of years ago. What they didn't realise at the time was that the tap for the water supply to their townhouse had been buried beneath some paving done by the previous owners.

This has since caused the problem that they have to turn off the water to the whole complex whenever they need to do even the most simple things such as change a washer.

They've now gone and got quotes to locate the tap, however they seem to think that the bill for this should be picked up by the body corporate. I think seeing as it is on their land and for their tap that they should pay for the bill themselves. What does everyone else think? I'm going to ask our body corporate manager, but he usually takes several days to reply so thought I'd put it on here first.

Reading this the cost should be their problem.The way its set up at present would be a real inconvenience for the other residents.Tough love if they have to dig up their pavers.

you might have to check what your body corp rules say. as they may be specific rules to each body corp.

in an apartment builiding - for e.g. waste runs through a stack through highest to the ground floor apartment. That itself is classfied as common property as it is shared even through the stack is located in different individual properties. If the pipes are shared to some extent - there could be some liability on the body corp overall.

you might have to check what your body corp rules say. as they may be specific rules to each body corp.

in an apartment builiding - for e.g. waste runs through a stack through highest to the ground floor apartment. That itself is classfied as common property as it is shared even through the stack is located in different individual properties. If the pipes are shared to some extent - there could be some liability on the body corp overall.

Thanks. I tried emailing the body corporate manager about it, but have since heard from one of the other neighbours that he has left. Will have to find out who our latest one is :(

Back