Nephew feeds birds(cockies and kookies) on strata balcony

Hi, my nephew lives in a strata, in which he owns with his brother, he loves birds, likes feeding them now and again on his balcony. Got a letter saying to stop this activity due to rats and cockroaches, he stopped but still wants to. Got another letter saying that he will be fined. Nephew asks for proof, body corp knocks on his door, shows photos of himself semi naked, no top on, also himself feeding the birds, members of bc giggling whilst showing him the proof he asked for. He loves this activity , of feeding the birds, has slowed it down , but would love to continue. What do you guys think? Thank you!!

Feeding birds can be a problem- they do leave droppings. But he should check the BC regulations to see if that is prohibited.

Is being topless a problem? It shouldn't be.

Had he really stopped feeding the birds? Or is the photo an old one? Perhaps one of the owners has just had a roll of film developed?

Nephews response "yeah say the strata bylaw they accuse me of breaking is one regaridng leaving rubbish on common property. but you own the apartment below me and there is no mess."

Feeding birds can be a problem- they do leave droppings. But he should check the BC regulations to see if that is prohibited.

Is being topless a problem? It shouldn't be.

Had he really stopped feeding the birds? Or is the photo an old one? Perhaps one of the owners has just had a roll of film developed?

I think my nephew was irritated by the fact that they photographed him semi naked and giggled!!

Depends on the laws of the BC and state regs.

Feeding birds regularly on a balcony will encourage them to sit around and wait to be fed, in the meantime they do what all birds do and leave little messages everywhere.

Feeding cockies anywhere is a recipe for disaster, if you stop feeding them some will continue to come and eat any timber they can find. They will literally eat a cedar timbered house.

By feeding them you change their diet and they don't get enough protein, when they have young the babies do not develop flight feathers and will be unable to fly.

If he wants to feed the birds got to a park occasionally and feed them so that the birds don't come to rely on him.

Hi danel,

Macca is spot on...as an example got a relo that has a prop in sutherland shire.

They feed the rosellas but have to shoo away the cockies as they gnaw at the timber.

As Macca suggested feed the birds at the park or i'll add an have an aviary in doors.

Cheers Spades.

Have a read of the strata by laws and see exactly what your nephew can and cannot do.

Too many people move into strata properties and seem not to want to know what are the rules and regulations of living in one.

Have him write a letter of apology for not understanding the by laws of the property and confirm that he will desist from feeding the birds in the future and that may alleviate the fine.

Strata issues aside, if he really loves birds he should stop feeding them. The minute any animal becomes dependant on humans for food, it's all downhill. Take away the human and the animal is dead. Do not feed wild animals, ever.

I share the opinion that if he loves the birds he shouldn't be feeding them, but I believe the worst in this story is the fact that he asked for the proof and when it was presented he felt humiliated.

Well, if you are doing nothing wrong you should fear nothing, but, by asking for proof, I assume he was denying he was feeding the birds, so he lied and when his pants were on fire he got upset. I really don't understand some people.What about taking responsibility for what he's done?

I share the opinion that if he loves the birds he shouldn't be feeding them, but I believe the worst in this story is the fact that he asked for the proof and when it was presented he felt humiliated.

Well, if you are doing nothing wrong you should fear nothing, but, by asking for proof, I assume he was denying he was feeding the birds, so he lied and when his pants were on fire he got upset. I really don't understand some people.What about taking responsibility for what he's done?

He doesn't believe that he's done anything wrong. He doesn't believe that he is causing rats or cocaroaches to present

He doesn't believe that it's appropriate to be photographed without a shirt

If he does not believe it is appropriate for him to be photographed without a shirt, then he would be advised to put on a shirt before appearing in public.

And I agree that he should not be feeding the birds. He is doing more harm to them than good. If he doubts this advice, get him to phone the RSPCA who will put him straight.
Marg

Nephew says ,I have already confirmed with an expert that my occasional feeding them nuts is not a harm to the bird and the feeding is not a huge amount and not every day so it does not create a reliance on them.

I asked for evidence that I was breaching the bylaw around leaving rubbish on common property... that does not give them permission to invade my privacy and conduct illegal surveillance on me in various states of undress in the privacy of my home

What Macca said. If he really must feed the birds, go down to the park. That will keep the busy body neighbours away. And the birds aren't learning that they can get a free feed at one particular location.

Have you actually read the by laws and see if there is a breach?

Slightly left of field, we were renovating our one and only strata unit wherein each night we could clearly see the couple net door going for it on the lounge.
We would not have been concerned if not for the amount of noise that was accompanying the actions.

We ...ahem... broached the subject of their "nocturnal habits" and they simply stated that we were making it up.

Photographs produced the next day cleared that up.

He doesn't believe that he's done anything wrong. He doesn't believe that he is causing rats or cocaroaches to present

He doesn't believe that it's appropriate to be photographed without a shirt

jesus. what is wrong with this clown?

just stop feeding the birds and being a nuisance.

not sure if you are serious or not :confused:

Deadly. We deleted the images off the camera in front of them when they agreed to close their windows and pull the blinds.

Same as this nephew, they thought they were doing nothing wrong and the only way to stop them was to prove otherwise.

Really, some people have no concern for those around them.

If he does not believe it is appropriate for him to be photographed without a shirt, then he would be advised to put on a shirt before appearing in public.

And I agree that he should not be feeding the birds. He is doing more harm to them than good. If he doubts this advice, get him to phone the RSPCA who will put him straight.
Marg
Marg, the photo was taken of him semi naked as they were gathering evidence, not whilst he was being interviewed

Back