New Bathroom

So when I first got the property, I repainted, new door handles, new carpet, new blinds, mirrored-vinyl sliding robes. Sat pretty for 3 months saving.

For the last week I have tackled the bathroom. 2050 x 1550, so not a lot of room.

I did the gutting and jackhammering, used all my trades from work to carry out the tiling/plumbing/electrical. Bought a cabinet with stone top and basin from an importer that buys in bulk from China. Screen and mirror from my glazier.

All up, 7 working days and $5590 (incl replacing lino with tiles in laundry and WC. No more lino anywhere!). Very happy and enjoying the double shower head.

600x300 rectified wall tiles, didn't have to remove the cornice because it had a 25mm profile underneath so just tiled up to it. New floor grate since the shower is hobless and didn't want to pay for a reflux valve.

Before and after.

A8F529C6-B2B0-4F70-9011-134742785F39_zpslpkt3fy2.jpg

74A0A090-2D46-4BE9-B183-5E690361A638_zps9cvux1io.jpg

It looks great.
Assuming this is an IP, just wondering whether a bathtub'less' bathroom would be favoured over one with bathtub??

It looks great.
Assuming this is an IP, just wondering whether a bathtub'less' bathroom would be favoured over one with bathtub??

PPOR.

I did contemplate it, but the bath just restricted it far too much. Was a tiny bath that I could barely stand in to shower.

Love that walk in shower, it looks great.
I am considering to put in shower with no hob or a walk in one like this for our IP. Some people commented that tile hob in shower is good for water retention, with no tile hobs the water will splatter outside the shower area causing water damage.
Anyone has thoughts on whether to put hob/no hob for IPs ?

I am considering to put in shower with no hob or a walk in one like this for our IP. Some people commented that tile hob in shower is good for water retention, with no tile hobs the water will splatter outside the shower area causing water damage.

Provided the screen is long enough, and the tiler puts plenty of fall in the screed down to a big channel grate under the shower, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you look at mine, the grate under the shower is about 25mm lower than where you walk in, so the water falls nicely back into the waste, and the main floor waste is just outside the shower should the shower flow over into the bathroom.

It is all in the preparation. Also, plenty of waterproofing (my whole bathroom now has a waterproof membrane beneath the tiling).

Yep, if the bathroom is properly waterproofed, there won't be an issue with water splashing outside the shower.
When I do the final bathroom in our PPOR, it will have a walk-in shower with no door.
Great job in 7 days.

No hobs can be a big plus for older people. One of the reasons one of my Buyers pulled out for Gwelup was the hobs in the showers as they are not mobility impaired friendly - they cause trips, you can't get a wheelchair in etc etc

I'm going hobless for my new PPOR and my next IP projects simply to make tiling more streamlined, because I love channel grates and because they look schmick.

I wouldn't bother in some demographic areas though as it does have a cost.

Yep. Just a fall to the grate and stand behind screen.

Doors cost money and closed in the room too much.

But you will have the added expense of buying a heap of floor mats to soak up
the water , they do splash very easy , have not used one that doesn't.

Well then you have had a run of bad luck with poorly constructed ones.

Adequate fall, correct length screen and the right shower head and you have no issues.

Don't think I have ever had a call back about someones shower overflowing/excessive "splashing".

Myf, I would have thought it will come up cheaper. Less bricks, less tiles etc. If it's a walk in, less glass, no door.

The grates are pretty expensive. About $400 for a 900mm and that is builders cost.

Reflux valve by the plumber is up to $1k.

Would be the average to get a V/O for $1500 from builder for a hobless shower as an extra over to standard.

The grates are pretty expensive. About $400 for a 900mm and that is builders cost.

boeman, can you not have hobless shower with just the normal floor waste (the small round ones) ?

If it's that costly, then it's probably not worth going hobless for IP (in the area i'm looking to build)

Sorry for asking lots of questions, I am quite interested to know as we never had one previously. Just curious about its practicality and cost. I am definitely liking the look :p

boeman, can you not have hobless shower with just the normal floor waste (the small round ones) ?

If it's that costly, then it's probably not worth going hobless for IP (in the area i'm looking to build)

Sorry for asking lots of questions, I am quite interested to know as we never had one previously. Just curious about its practicality and cost. I am definitely liking the look :p

You could, but most builders wouldn't.

Even with a reflux valve, it is all about ensuring there is no threat of a water build up since there is no hob. So a channel grate collects it rather than your floor.

Practicality is fantastic, I love mine and the house I built my parents with a couple of more grand versions is quite amazing if I do say so myself. I would always take the option over standard since it presents nicer and opens up the house to the demographic of disabled and elderly.

Reflux valve by the plumber is up to $1k.

Would be the average to get a V/O for $1500 from builder for a hobless shower as an extra over to standard.

I think mine cost me $700 extra to put them in the Highgate houses but as I'm aiming for $1m each it's worth it.

At first glance you would expect them cheaper as you say because it's easier tiling etc but as Boeman says the grates aren't cheap.

If you are at all handy then Bunnings do them quite reasonably at $299 for a 900mm one.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/rick-mcleans-900mm-stainless-steel-shower-channel_p5130888

Last edited:
I think mine cost me $700 extra to put them in the Highgate houses but as I'm aiming for $1m each it's worth it.

At first glance you would expect them cheaper as you say because it's easier tiling etc but as Boeman says the grates are cheap.

If you are at all handy then Bunnings do them quite reasonably at $299 for a 900mm one.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/rick-mcleans-900mm-stainless-steel-shower-channel_p5130888

$299 is still way more than highgrove bath: http://highgrovebathrooms.com/index...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=71&Itemid=21

Back