New Kitchen - doesnt look right

hi guys,

we are renovating an IP, a 2 bdr unit in liverpool & had the kitchen installed today but the gaps around the bench look pretty big..

I still have to put up a tile splash back but still think the bench has quite a large gap.. what do you guys think..

Still have $ owing to the kitchen guys so before i finalise payment want to make sure its ok..

would appreciate your feedback

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 251
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 226
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 206
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 186
I'm guessing you will put a sheet of versalux or similar sheeting on the wall to glue the tiles to? If so, the gap will not ben seen once you sheet and tile.

Is that an off the shelf kitchen or made to measure?

If made to measuire they obviously haven't measured properly. We always order the benches a little big if the walls are out of plumb so we can shave a bit off.
I'd be telling them you are not happy, especially with the big gap at the front.

Are they doing the splashback? Tell them if it's not right in the end they'll have to replace the benchtop. The big gap at the front will be the problem. They may be able to build out the tile adhesive but you'll still see the gap in the bench from the side.
I wouldn't be satisfied with that.

LoL it is not a bong, its a big lighter.. we had to put a big keyring on it as beleive it or not the painter lost the original set of keys so we didnt want that to happen again

Yeah its made to measure and a brand new bench top that's why im concerned and I'm doing the splash back my self.. Never done it before thought it would be straight forward and a good way to learn but this gap has thrown a spanner in the works

Walls are out and the benchtop should have been scribed to the wall.

You should get them to come and fix it as one side is out right along the length hence the big gap at the front.

Who measured up? If it was the kitchen people then they have no excuse.

Very poor installation.

LoL it is not a bong, its a big lighter.. we had to put a big keyring on it as beleive it or not the painter lost the original set of keys so we didnt want that to happen again

I knew it wasn't a bong,just thought i'd lighter the moment:D

Is the gap at "the front" mentioned in some posts the gap between the back edge of the benchtop (one inch deep) and the wall?

This wouldn't bother me, because I would tile to the edge and whatever you use to edge the tiles you can run to the bottom of the bench top.

If the gaps are under 10mm, then I generally wouldn't worry about it as glue and tiles will more than likely cover it.
If it's more than 10mm then I'd get them back.

The gap on the bench on the left is a bit big. They've obviously not measured up correctly because the bench top is out for it's whole length.

I would be getting them back because even if you tile it there will still be a gap down the side of the bench top (the tiles will only cover the gap on the top of the bench top).

Good news, Kitchen guy came back and will fix the gap by replacing the bench under the window with one 1.5 cm bigger

Back