New mattress

We have a new tenant in our furnished unit in inner Sydney. He has asked for a new mattress for the master bedroom. Since he only has a three month lease and the unit is on the market, I am reluctatnt to buy anything else for this property but want to be fair to this tenant. Two questions: do I buy a new mattress, and if I buy one, does anyone know of a good supplier who can deliver and remove the old mattress?
thanks.

Is the mattress due for replacement?

A lot depends on the age of the mattress and the quality of the furniture and fixtures.

In an expensive unit with upmarket furnishings then a good mattress of a high quality would be expected regardless of the length of the tenancy.

The fact that you are considering the request gives the impression that you are aware that the mattress is not up to standard, which would indicate that the tenant is not being unreasonable.
Marg

what is their real complaint? is there anything wrong with the mattress that is inplace?

there is no difference between what you have supplied and a hotel or any other serviced living arrangement. if really pressed, and feeling somehow obligated, then the most i would do is steam clean the current mattress and get a new mattress protector - and only if demanded as a compromise.

by the time the complaining tenant pushes for anything further their lease would've expired anyhow.

If the mattress is not in great condition (as it may be) then you will continue to have problems with new tenants. In that case, get a new one.

If the tenants just do not like a "used" mattress, then tell them get "used" to it.

A blood stain may be an indication of a problem ;). There may be other stains.

There are some fairly cheap mattresses available (maybe $100-$200 for a double?). Check Google.

Talk to the tenant, to find out what their concern is.

Thank you for all your replies. I suspect that the mattress in question is due for replacement and would do so in a heartbeat if we were continuing to rent this apartment furnished. If we sell it then we will remove the furniture, and if it doesn't sell then we will still remove the furniture and rent it unfurnished. Either way a new mattress is a liability. Maybe a lambswool underlay will help in the interim. The mattress protector is new.

If the mattress is unhygenic/old then tell the tenant to deduct the value of a new mattress from week ones rent ( to your maximum allowance). That way the tenant can time the delivery at a time convenient to them.

Not sure what you can do with an unwanted dirty mattress apart from dump it at the tip. If it is in usable/clean condition then one of the charities will pick it up for redistribution.

We have 11 furnished units. It is not unusual for the ocassional tenant, even before staying there one night, ask if they can bring their own bed. We always say no.

After they start sleeping there,they always remark on how nice and comfortable the bed really is.

Three month lease, don't bother, then your stuck with it when they move out and the property is sold. I wouldn't waste my money.

Back