New poll behaviour

Do you like the new more visible polls ?

• Yes, keeping them near the top when someone votes is great

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • No, I find it annoying, go back to the way it used to be

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I'm really not sure which I prefer

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have no idea what you are talking about !

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Sim

Administrator
We have the option of changing the way polls work.

Prior to the upgrade, a poll would only jump to the top of the forum list when a new post was made to it. This meant that polls would eventually fall out of visibility and we wouldn't get as many votes as we potentially could.

With the new site, I've changed the way polls behave such that any time someone votes, it makes the poll jump back to the top of the list - the same way it does when someone actually posts a message in the poll thread.

The advantage of the new behaviour is that polls remain visible for as long as people are voting, thus helping to increase the total number of voters. The disadvantage is that it can be confusing and annoying having a poll thread pop to the top of the list all the time when there's nothing new to read in it (other than a change in the voting results).

I thought we'd try the new style and see whether we liked it or not. I'm undecided myself - I like being able to keep up with what's changing in the voting, but it is a bit annoying to see the new thread with nothing new to read.

So I'll let you all vote on the matter !

I voted yes - because I'm interested in the poll results & in favour of giving people the opportunity to vote, without necessarily adding a comment.

The old way led to polls appearing too low on the new threads list & being missed by many people - this way they have a chance to find them!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Reactions: Jas
I voted No.

I try to keep up with all posts daily (at minimum). It's a big job to do sometimes.

If a post keeps getting pushed up to the top because someone posts another vote, it just takes time with no result for me.

However, if the post went to the top of the "new posts" list, WITHOUT having the "new post" icon showing, that would be a great compromise- I could choose to either ignore or open the post.

geoffw said:
I voted No.

I try to keep up with all posts daily (at minimum). It's a big job to do sometimes.

If a post keeps getting pushed up to the top because someone posts another vote, it just takes time with no result for me.

However, if the post went to the top of the "new posts" list, WITHOUT having the "new post" icon showing, that would be a great compromise- I could choose to either ignore or open the post.

I foudn it not so bad - all the post at the top have poll: in the subject and are all lumped together, so they are easy to see.

Jas

geoffw said:

Neat idea Geoff!

(BTW I like how the new forum handles messages too close together - it keeps your text! I can see a lot of happy campers due to this feature)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Jas said:
I foudn it not so bad - all the post at the top have poll: in the subject and are all lumped together, so they are easy to see.

Jas
The problem is that I can't see how to distinguish a poll which has merely had a vote from a poll which has had something posted. :(

Does the Last Post date change when someone votes, or just when they reply?

This may help Geoff if it only changes when replied.

ps. Agree with everyone else's comments.

Cheerio

Simon.

Personally I'm finding it frustrating having to scroll past the polls to get to the rest.

I think they should fade away with everything else.

I'm not that interested in polls and I don't want to be reminded to look at the results because one person has voted.

I'm interested in hearing what people have to say, rather than having what are effectively mainly meaningless polls. The only polls that would be of interest to me are ones that show what the general population think and informal ones I do when ask a few selected people who's judgement I trust what they think is going on.

See Change

ok, I've changed my mind on the poll thing.

I've been caught a few times, looking at the post just because a new vote happened.

Jas

I'll wait until we have closer to 50 votes before I'll make a decision either way.

Ironically, having the poll more visible will make it easier to get those votes - but I do acknowledge it can be annoying.

If there's a way to determine when someone contributes/posts as compares to votes, then keep it as it is.

Otherwise, perhaps a per-user setting where people can choose?

Sim,

I've changed my vote - unless you can do as Geoffw suggested I'd prefer them not to end up on top all the time, it's a timewaster :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
I've changed my vote - unless you can do as Geoffw suggested I'd prefer them not to end up on top all the time, it's a timewaster :)
Acey,

You're on an ADSL line. I'm on a dial up. It's a bit slow tonight- about 20 seconds to load up a page. Normally it's more like ten seconds.

There's been 25 votes on this poll. That's four minutres of my time (for when the connection is good). There appear to be six active polls. Nearly half an hour gone in less than a week.

If poll votes float up to the top, is it at all possible to distinguish new votes from new posts in some way please?

I'm really not sure it is going to be possible to distinguish between new votes from new posts easily. We may need to revert back to the previous behaviour. But the votes are surprisingly strong in favour. I might research it a bit more when I get time.

l would prefer the polls didnt rise to the top everytime someone voted, mainly because l am on dial up.

You are probably going to laugh at this SIM, but would it be possible to set up polls so they rise to the top as a new post after say every 10 votes? At least then there has been a reasonable statistical difference since the last time the poll re-appeared. Probably more work than what its worth, but what would l know, l'm an IT pleb :rolleyes:

Would part of the solution be to start a new forum that only handles polls, and all polls (past & present) be moved to it regardless of topic? Those who want to take part in polls go to that forum, and those who don't - bypass that forum completely.

Just a thought..............

Olly

Olly said:
Would part of the solution be to start a new forum that only handles polls, and all polls (past & present) be moved to it regardless of topic? Those who want to take part in polls go to that forum, and those who don't - bypass that forum completely.

An interesting thought Olly - particularly if the poll forum could be set such that threads (polls) don't appear at the top of the New Posts list....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Jas said:

Jas
But it does not distinguish between polls which have only had a vote, vs those whixh have had a response.

Sim', is there any way to make it a user selectable option?

Back