New push bike laws

Tell him he's dreaming. That bike lane is clearly not as wide as the car lane.

Ummm? That is a shared parking lane/bike lane. Great if there are no parked cars (as evidenced by the video) but utterly useless to cyclists if there is a car parked there as the cyclists are back into the traffic lane. The lane is open to 'dooring' cyclists, so any cyclist in their right minds sticks to the traffic lane where there are cars parked.

It is not a two lane road and probably never was, so the lane possibly isn't as wide as a traffic lane.

I would happily pay rego for my bike, mainly so the anti-bike brigade will stop moaning about it. Rather than it go into general coffers though, I'd want to see it spent on education for all road users, cyclists AND drivers.

BUT for every time that I use my bike instead of my car, I'd like a pro-rata'd refund of my unused car rego please, it's only fair.

Whilst we're at it, how about re calibrating all the red light road sensors so I don't have to run a red when there's no car next to me to trip the lights so you sit like a lemon and never get a green, (or get a default green maybe 1 in 4 rotations).

That's very different to the Beach Rd peleton, I agree. Some of those guys, (same with drivers), give the rest a bad name. I've seen many run reds as they are the back of a group and don't want to get "dropped" further. Not that I ride Beach Rd, did it once, thought it was the most boring stretch of road to ride, far too many traffic lights to stop at and just too many cyclists. Give me an empty, hilly back road any day, (or some single track in the bush).

That's very different to the Beach Rd peleton, I agree. Some of those guys, (same with drivers), give the rest a bad name. I've seen many run reds as they are the back of a group and don't want to get "dropped" further. Not that I ride Beach Rd, did it once, thought it was the most boring stretch of road to ride, far too many traffic lights to stop at and just too many cyclists. Give me an empty, hilly back road any day, (or some single track in the bush).

I live near beach rd and this roll is my bread and butter and love the road. Rarely now will you get anyone on a bike go through a red light as they'll get a big spray - it's really bad form to disobey road rules and give ammo to the peolpe who'll happily run into you. True it gets some bike traffic but you need to start early plus cars are banned from parking on the side of the road between 6-10. My 90k ride on a Saturday goes to franganistan and the to 2 bays mt Eliza with some nice hill work. A great overall ride but needs to be done early to avoid the masses.
A

Not sure if serious.... Are you suggesting bike riders use the footpath? When I use to skate, I would skate on the road too. Seeing the footage of those dudes bombing the hill in Pa1nters video brought back fond memories.

Perhaps motorcyclists as well? While we're at it, how about anything smaller than a 4WD? After all, most of those Toorak tractor operators think they own the roads and everyone else should get out of their way.

You know, I was thinking about it further. What's the deal when hover cars are invented? Because if the cars are no longer touching the road, what do we do then?

well to start with, i don't consider driving a car a right
it's a privilege that people need to earn and that can be stripped away from them if they don't follow the rules.

hence i'm really curious why you think bike riders have a right to ride on the road.

it's a privilege that people need to earn and that can be stripped away from them if they don't follow the rules.

hence i'm really curious why you think bike riders have a right to ride on the road.

Because these rights are dictated by law.:rolleyes:

Laws and Regulations.

In Western Australia, the Road Traffic Act 1974 and Road Traffic (Bicycles) Regulations 2002 give people the right to ride bicycles on the road.

I really had to laugh when I saw this...

Attachments

• the-bike-rider-vs-the-car.jpg
    the-bike-rider-vs-the-car.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 70
Laws and Regulations.

In Western Australia, the Road Traffic Act 1974 and Road Traffic (Bicycles) Regulations 2002 give people the right to ride bicycles on the road.
the right, or the privilege?
Legally a "right".

Driving is a not a right. You have to meet certain requirements under the law to drive on the road (i.e. get a drivers licence)

Cycling is a right. You do not have to meet certain requirements under the law to cycle on the road (i.e. no need to get a drivers licence)

Driving is a "privilege", cycling is a "right".

I don't mind if they build bike lanes like they do in China for example where scooters and a lot of electric bikes go on. If you?re going to ride on the road, you got to obey the road rules. That means sitting behind a car and not jumping to the front of the intersection and then pedalling 2 kph and slowing down everyone else behind you. Why do you think cars try and run them off the road. A car can get booked for driving too slow, what about a person on the bike pedalling slow?

They also need to consider the bandwidth of the bicycle path/road. No point building a bike path like they have in Pyrmont, Sydney and half the riders ride on the road $issing car drivers off. No wonder why some drivers like to run them down.

I don't mind if they build bike lanes like they do in China for example where scooters and a lot of electric bikes go on. If you?re going to ride on the road, you got to obey the road rules. That means sitting behind a car and not jumping to the front of the intersection and then pedalling 2 kph and slowing down everyone else behind you. Why do you think cars try and run them off the road. A car can get booked for driving too slow, what about a person on the bike pedalling slow?

They also need to consider the bandwidth of the bicycle path/road. No point building a bike path like they have in Pyrmont, Sydney and half the riders ride on the road $issing car drivers off. No wonder why some drivers like to run them down.

I really think you need to check the road rules. In WA at least, there is no law preventing a cyclist filtering to the front. A bicycle is not a car... I suspect this law is much the same in NSW. There are some roads of decent width where I believe it is fair for cyclists to do this - others where I believe doing so would not be courteous to other road users.

As for your other statements, I think they say more about you than anyone else. Your frustrations with discourteous cyclists are no justification at all for killing people... which is what you are describing.

Cyclists use the road because it is quicker, often safer (frustrated numpties in lethal steel cages notwithstanding) and because they are fully entitled to. The road is there to be shared by all users with common courtesy - if we all just got used to that there would be no issue here.

Back