New push bike laws

In the UK before I left, they started painting big red boxes about a meter deep across the front of the lanes at traffic light intersections specifically for bikes to go in front of the cars.

I go up the front, but not infront, unless I'm turning right. Sure, it might take the cars behind an extra 3 seconds to get round but it means they can see me.

The alternative of sitting amongst cars, or at this side or behind where they can't or may not have seen me is way more dangerous for the cyclist.

I rather frustrate a driver for 3 seconds than not be seen by one and potentially end up under their wheels.

Incidentally, I have seen one or two if these bike zones painted on junctions here, just can't recall where at the moment.

Today I rode 200km from Cabarita in Sydney to Culburra Beach with 5 other blokes. We rode 2 abreast 95% of the way with only 1 single truck giving us an unfriendly toot. The rest of the time most other motorists were very good.

See what tomorrow brings. Although quieter route tomorrow.

pinkboy

I really had to laugh when I saw this...

Yeah, I hate being chased by driverless cars too.

That means sitting behind a car and not jumping to the front of the intersection and then pedalling 2 kph and slowing down everyone else behind you.

Do you know how hard it is to travel slower than walking pace on a bike? You have to be pretty good to achieve it, just like the guys who are able to remain motionless without unclipping at the lights.

No point building a bike path like they have in Pyrmont, Sydney and half the riders ride on the road $issing car drivers off.

Exactly. Any bike lane which is not consistent with the road surface, has 'special' bike lights, is slower than using the road should not be built until it has been properly designed. Why do cyclists avoid them, because the lanes don't work, if they had been designed properly then they would be more heavily patronised.

I really think you need to check the road rules. In WA at least, there is no law preventing a cyclist filtering to the front. A bicycle is not a car... I suspect this law is much the same in NSW. There are some roads of decent width where I believe it is fair for cyclists to do this - others where I believe doing so would not be courteous to other road users.

Filtering is legal in NSW, recent law change.

Cyclists use the road because it is quicker, often safer (frustrated numpties in lethal steel cages notwithstanding) and because they are fully entitled to. The road is there to be shared by all users with common courtesy - if we all just got used to that there would be no issue here.

Add to that, there's the green argument - If I ride hard, I turn green & puke. :D

Today I rode 200km from Cabarita in Sydney to Culburra Beach with 5 other blokes. We rode 2 abreast 95% of the way with only 1 single truck giving us an unfriendly toot. The rest of the time most other motorists were very good.

See what tomorrow brings. Although quieter route tomorrow.

pinkboy

Great going PB, you'll wear out that credit card by the time you get to Melbourne.

Hi all,

Sorry if my comments were a little hash about running them over; I was using slang and not so much as run the bike riders over in all seriousness.. What I meant was that you tend to get a lot of frustrated drivers around the CBD driving at 50/60 KPH and then some bike rider jumps in front of you and you pretty much need to hit the brakes and drive 20KPH. When the bike rider is out of the way, how many drivers zoom off with anger. Driver hits the next set of lights and bike rider catches up and sits his bike in front of the car again or runs the red. Fair enough that the road is to share but a bit of a frustration for us drivers when bike riders break every road rule in the book. My point is that if you got wheels on the road, obey the road rules just like all cars and motor bikes.

There is some serious talk in Mel and Syd about registration of these bikes and even number plates. A lot of them race through lights and pedestrian crossings and the poor pedestrian is nearly run over or in shock and can't even report a bike rider.

I too have had my fair share of riding in the days but I don't go playing frogger with cars on a 2 lane road.

...When the bike rider is out of the way, how many drivers zoom off with anger. Driver hits the next set of lights and bike rider catches up and sits his bike in front of the car again..
It's not a cyclists fault they're so efficient by having the average speed of a car :rolleyes:

If you can't beat em, join em. You may get to your destination quicker and without the stress :)

Yes I agree. If I lived in city of neighbouring city, I would be riding a bike and flying through traffic. If you can't beat them, might as well join them.

It's not a cyclists fault they're so efficient by having the average speed of a car :rolleyes:

If you can't beat em, join em. You may get to your destination quicker and without the stress :)
I ride to work because the traffic is so bad it would take twice as long to drive. In my area there is no war on our roads. Cars and cyclists share the road. Actually, that's not true... motorists often give way to cyclists even when not required to. The motorists in my area are pretty awesome!

I have a question that has been bothering me,regarding the new 1 metre laws just brought out,
What happens when I am parked at the lights and a bicycle pulls up beside me and is closer that one metre.
A policeman who happens to see me with the bike closer than one metre pulls me up down the road and charges me???

Is this law two sided and the bicyclist can be charged for coming to close??

If this is one sided,whats stopping the bike rider (In slow traffic or stopped) from coming into my personal (1 metre) space any time he wants.\\??

This leaves us and you(the motorist)open to trouble.

I have a question that has been bothering me,regarding the new 1 metre laws just brought out,
What happens when I am parked at the lights and a bicycle pulls up beside me and is closer that one metre.
A policeman who happens to see me with the bike closer than one metre pulls me up down the road and charges me???

Is this law two sided and the bicyclist can be charged for coming to close??

If this is one sided,whats stopping the bike rider (In slow traffic or stopped) from coming into my personal (1 metre) space any time he wants.\\??

This leaves us and you(the motorist)open to trouble.

This is very well explained in the new law.

The 1m rule doesn't apply if you are stationary:

1m rule.jpg

pinkboy

This is very well explained in the new law.

The 1m rule doesn't apply if you are stationary:

View attachment 12065

pinkboy

Thanks for providing this,first time I've seen it.

It's still open to interpretation by the police officer as the bike rider pedals past me under a metre and I change gear and go faster passing him,which then makes me the criminal??? This is going to be very hard to police.

Thanks for providing this,first time I've seen it.

It's still open to interpretation by the police officer as the bike rider pedals past me under a metre and I change gear and go faster passing him,which then makes me the criminal??? This is going to be very hard to police.

Its pretty clear to me:

If a cyclist is moving, and a motorist is moving and comes within a metre, then the motorist is at fault. You will be well aware of any cyclist on the road - didn't you learn to scan the road every 3 sec whilst driving?

Being both a cyclist and motorist I find it pretty easy to give cyclists a lot of room, and have the virtue of patience anyway.

pinkboy

Cyclist 88 motorist 0

THEY were the changes supposed to make our roads safer, but just days after the Newman Government introduced new cycling legislation, bike riders have failed to meet their end of the bargain.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...uting-road-rules/story-fnihsrf2-1226879366815

They are so naughty!! They dont deserve to be treated nicely. They should all be run over. Whose silly idea was it to change the law for them anyway? Oh yeah, the relatives of those killed by inattentive drivers....

There has since been some motorists fined in North QLD, and there was another cyclist killed in FNQ over the last day or two. Not sure of all the details.

Id say the 88 to 0 numbers might just relate to a police blitz to help the public accept the new laws. I personally hope no one gets fined, cause that would mean everyone was passing safely.

Back