New Reno- getting excited.

Reno- getting excited. We have done small reno's before but not this much.

Settlement is Friday and hubby is going to Bali tonight. He gets back Saturday but has to work so he won’t make an appearance until Sunday.
In the meantime I’ve got a list of things to do.

We’ve bought everything except the bathroom floor tiles and carpet (love you EBay). Not sure whether carpeting all or just the bedrooms (depends what we find when the carpet comes up).

OK the house is in Whalan (Mt Druitt). It’s a 3 bed but you now walk through the 3rd bed to the rumpus. The rumpus is 8000 x 3750 so we are dividing 3000meters off the end to make another master bedroom. That way there will be 3 beds and a study (old 3rd bedroom) and 2 living areas.

Here’s a list I made. SIL and friend are coming to help me Saturday.
Hubby will be there Sunday morning.

Remove oil heater and tank- Scrap man (back of garage)
Remove Air con- Scrap man
Remove kitchen sink- scrap man
Remove laundry tub- scrap man

Remove kitchen- skip
Remove doors- kitchen and dining- skip
Remove laundry cupboards- skip
Remove bathroom cupboard and mirror- skip
Remove bath- skip
Remover linen press- skip

Remove handrails all rooms- store in back room

Carpet up (not rumpus room)- skip
Steam wallpaper- dining, lounge
Spray ceiling-lounge- scrub.

I think that’ll keep us busy.

I’ve been busy this weekend making food to put in the freezer to keep us going. My daughters wedding is exactly one month from Friday so I’d like to be finished before then (fingers crossed). If not I have another weeks holidays after that. I’m paranoid about getting paint in my hair (I ALWAYS do). Nails are getting cut short this week. New ones on before the wedding.

I’ll post photos when I get a chance. I put one of the nicotine soaked wallpaper in the lounge. :eek::eek:

If anyone wants some reno experience give us a yell.:D:D

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 287
First, you are very brave taking on a reno while also being involved in a wedding!

Second - I'm jealous... Can't wait to be able to afford our next reno!

It’s a 3 bed but you now walk through the 3rd bed to the rumpus. The rumpus is 8000 x 3750 so we are dividing 3000meters off the end to make another master bedroom. That way there will be 3 beds and a study (old 3rd bedroom) and 2 living areas.
Travelbug, that sounds like a lot of dividing walls.. sure it's "open plan" enough? Perhaps the new rumpus and study can be combined by knocking down the wall, provided it's non-load bearing? I've noticed in some new house/apartment designs the study can be just an alcove or part of the lounge room.

Travelbug

Have you already bought the kitchen and if yes where from?
Are you keeping the IP or fixing it for to sell?
cheers

Travelbug

cheers

If you havent already bought the kitchen I can recommend DIY kitchens in Penrith. I am currently doing a reno myself and the kitchen quotes varied from $25k to $11k with DIY being the cheapest.

regards

If you havent already bought the kitchen I can recommend DIY kitchens in Penrith. I am currently doing a reno myself and the kitchen quotes varied from $25k to $11k with DIY being the cheapest.

regards

11K the cheapest?
Far out and I was expecting to pay $3K for my reno :D

11K the cheapest?
Far out and I was expecting to pay $3K for my reno :D

Yes $11k does seem like a lot of money but because the reno is for our PPOR, we have ended up spending much more than if it was for an IP. Things we have done which have added to the cost are:

1) casearstone benchtops $3.5k total
2) cabinets and drawers etc non standard sizes that are tailored to our layout
3) a 1300 x 700 island in the centre.
4) a number of taller cabinets which are more expensive (1 cnr pantry, 1 pantry for washer and dryer and 1 pantry acting as broom cupboard and linen closet)
5) Wall cabinets will have frosted glass which is an extra cost

also went with 100% opening draw runners as i want full access to the drawers etc (these are only $15 each)

If you want a super cheap kitchen. check Grays online they have ready made kitchens in L shaped and U shaped etc. We didnt go with these as these did not perfectly suit our layout

Hi Travel Bug
Good work! Would you care to share your numbers? Reno costs? Yield?
thanks!

Hi will put numbers a little later. Some things still up in the air eg bathroom tiling. We may pay someone due to time.

Sounds like fun.

Judging by the picture attached it looks like it may be a well over due reno

Wait till you see the bathroom and kitchen.:eek::eek:

First, you are very brave taking on a reno while also being involved in a wedding!

Second - I'm jealous... Can't wait to be able to afford our next reno!

It's all good. All organised. Daughter arrives here the week before. I have my dress and shoes so I'm good. :D

Travelbug, that sounds like a lot of dividing walls.. sure it's "open plan" enough? Perhaps the new rumpus and study can be combined by knocking down the wall, provided it's non-load bearing? I've noticed in some new house/apartment designs the study can be just an alcove or part of the lounge room.

The 3rds bedroom wall is the old back of the house so no moving. We are only putting up one wall. The rumpus room will still be 5m x 4m. Not a bad size. We are removing a small wall from between the kitchen and dining.

Travelbug

cheers

Kitchen purchased from Sydney Kitchens and bathrooms. They are cheaper than Bunnings but with polyurethane doors, adjustable legs and removable kickboards, longline handles. Excellent quality. We have used them before.
2100 X 2500 X 1300. $2640. BIL will install in a day. He does it for a living.

We will rent it out as soon as the reno is finished.

Goodluck with it all travelbug! Looks like you have a bit to do, but I'm sure you'll be able to knock it all off in good time!

When we ripped off the wallpaper in our house, we were going to hire out a steamer but instead tried water with soap in a spray bottle. Spray on and leave for a few minutes and the it just peels straight off!!

The glue underneath is the hardest part though. We just purchased a hand held brush with tough bristles, wet it up and scrub away - seemed to work a treat.

The price of that kitchen is very reasonable! Do they have a website or is this the mob in Villawood that I just searched?

Goodluck with it all travelbug! Looks like you have a bit to do, but I'm sure you'll be able to knock it all off in good time!

When we ripped off the wallpaper in our house, we were going to hire out a steamer but instead tried water with soap in a spray bottle. Spray on and leave for a few minutes and the it just peels straight off!!

The glue underneath is the hardest part though. We just purchased a hand held brush with tough bristles, wet it up and scrub away - seemed to work a treat.

The price of that kitchen is very reasonable! Do they have a website or is this the mob in Villawood that I just searched?

Thanks. It's Sydney kitchen and bathroom. Hard to find on the net. Yes it's Woodville Rd Villawood. Don't go in Saturday (can't move). Ask for Penny, she's the best. Tell her Ian sent you (my hubby).

We have a steamer (Ebay). Thanks for the tip though.

Well today was a doozy. Settled today. After work got the keys (4pm) and did 3hrs ripping up carpet, underlay and lino (under carpet in dining and one bedroom). It's all up except the hall (I foprgot something to rip up the metal strips.
I found out how week I am. Some of it was stapled fast. I tried pulling it with no luck. Put it between my knees then leaned back and pulled with legs and hands. That worked but, needless to say I ended up on my backside a few times. Prices were interesting in 1966 (newspapers under).

So it's all stacked in the lounge. Didn't want to risk getting the skip today as it would most likely be full by tomorrow.
The floorboards are REAL nice. Polishing is looking like the way we'll go.

So I went shopping on the way home for lunch stuff for tomorrow, had a shower and cut off my dirty, black fingernails, and made a slice.

Truck's in the garage stacked up with stuff to take. Bag at the front door with kettle etc. Better go to bed soon. Need to be there at 7.30 for the skip.
Will give updates when I get time.

OH nearly forgot the REALLY good news. I put my jeans on that I have for painting etc and they're too big. Kept yanking them up. Yeehah!!!

This time in 1 month I'll be eating my daughters wedding cake (with reno finished).

Sounds like you will have an interesting time, staples, yep, just did my place I guess the plan was it was never going to come up cause after 3 months I'm still finding them :cool:. Floor sanders problem now will just warn him however.

Keep the updates coming and photo's :).

Brian

When you get around to painting, after cleaning the walls/ceilings, undercoat with Zinzer. If you don't use something for the nicotine, it will penetrate every coat you apply.

Best of luck, it sounds exciting. We want photo's.

Sounds like you will have an interesting time, staples, yep, just did my place I guess the plan was it was never going to come up cause after 3 months I'm still finding them :cool:.
Brian

NAH!! I learned a good trick at my last reno. If you want top find the staples just kneel on the floor. You''l kneel on one EVERY time.;);)

Thanks Skater. It's on my list for the paint shop on Thursday.

After 40 man hours (22 hrs = me) this is where we are up to:-

Wallpaper off all bedrooms, dining and hall. There are 2 rooms in the whole house NOT wallpapered. Bedroom 1 had 2 layers. I’ve learned, all wallpapers are not equal. Some came off easily. Bedroom one (first layer) came off with no water etc. The under layer we just wet and it peeled off. Dining room took ages with the steamer.

Gave the ceiling in the dining a scrub but needs more.

Bedroom 2 and 3 also scrubbed ready for painting. It's surprising how much lighter and brighter the rooms look without the dark wallpaper.

Kitchen gone, laundry stripped, bathroom half stripped. So I'm happy with the progress so far.

I’m taking today off (well after I work my day job). After 22 hours working on the house on the weekend my body was screaming at me all night saying “have you forgotten you are 50, are you crazy?”

I’m feeling a bit better now so I’ll be back there tomorrow afternoon (after work).:D More wallpaper and washing walls.

Will post some photos soon.

Just a quick update

Taking a day off today to regroup.

It's been a REAL busy last week.

The wallpaper was a nightmare and took longer than I thought. Only one wall in the laundry to do but I wanted to start painting so something was finished.

Painted 3 ceilings (after scrubbing) with zinsser. Then 2 coats of ceiling paint.

Lounge, bedroom 2 and 3 undercoated. Bedroom 2 and 3 finished with top coats.

Half wall out between kitchen and dining and kitchen resheeted. Bathroom plumbed in and walls resheeted. Wall up in backroom (to make extra bedroom).

Electrical nearly finished (a few more lights to change).

Photos of lounge with undercoat and ceiling painted, new window (from back room (light will go).
Kitchen before and now (with short wall removed).

Happy with the progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Kitchen1.jpg
    Kitchen1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 214
Half wall out between kitchen and dining and kitchen resheeted. Kitchen before and now (with short wall removed).

That half a wall looked like it had a beam inserted to support it, but now the wall is removed there is no supporting beam. Was that wall a load bearing wall?

No, not a support beam. Just decorative across the cupboard. All's good.

God they had funny ideas of what is decorative, didn't they?

We had one that removed a wall, reducing the number of bedrooms, to make the lounge bigger but they put a similar, but larger, "decorative" piece in front of the front door, making the amount of usable space not much bigger than it originally was.:confused: It was damn ugly too.

We removed this and put the wall back in. Instant equity. Gotta love it! :D

OK a bit of an update.

Took a little longer than planned due to the wallpaper mainly. I was getting disheartened after 2 weeks and some was still there.
And every surface had to be painted 3-4 times. Some ceilings 2 coats of zinsser then 2 coats ceiling paint. All walls undercoat and 2 coats paint.

I've learned a lesson- don't be in a hurry to finish "something". Better to do all painting at once. ie strip ALL wallpaper and glue, prepare ALL walls THEN paint.

The one thing I was worried about was the bathroom. Hubby seemed to be taking forever sand it still wasn't sheeted. Well it was a drama but all done except the shower screen. Hubby has gone to Kuala Lumpa for the motorbike grand prix. I have someone putting the screen in on Monday (and the wardrobe doors).

Everything else is finished.
I had 3 days off for the wedding then just tidy up and cleaning last 2 days.

We budgeted $12K (a guestimate really) and ended up spending $15K but we paid a tiler and my BIL more days to get it finished so that added $2K not planned.

Real estate said equity gain is at least $65K. So $50K after reno costs. We're happy.

Any questions just ask. Still piecing prices together to break down costs for bathroom/kitchen etc.

Had to add a wedding photo of our 4 kids.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 171
Back