New to subdivision

Hey everyone, first time post on the forum so bare with me.

I had a few questions as to the process of subdivision in Melbourne, I've been reading a lot of articles saying a lot of different things about the new residential zonings which have been implemented however none of them really set out a clear definition for a minimum lot size?
i was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the zones and their minimum lot size for subdivision?

Hi Simbi99,

The reason that you couldn't find anything about a minimum lot size is because there is generally no specified minimum. Some Councils may specify a minimum, but this is generally through planning overlays and only applies to certain areas. One of the things that the new zoning has done is introduce a zone (Neighbourhood Residential Zone) that allows a maximum of two dwellings. This is irrespective of lot size, unless the Council makes allowances for larger lots within their planning controls.

Different Councils can modify the zones (eg increase setbacks or private open space amounts) so what is possible in one area might not be elsewhere and that is why there is no minimum lot size. Your best bet is to hone in on an area and then research that.

I've been reading as well A LOT and from what I ascertain that there is no such thing as a 'minimum size'.

the minimum size really is a calculation of the below:

a) dwelling size
b) SPOS (secluded private open space)
c) mandatory car spaces (eg 3 bedroom requires two car spaces)
d) vehicle access
e) area to fit storage space (eg shed)

i'm sure there is a few more to add to that as well....keep in mind, if you are at the front of the block, then you'll have to forfeit the setback...so you'll lose heaps there. From what I've seen the SPOS, needs to be at the back or side, in some cases it can be at the front on corners, but providing the fence is set back from the real boundary, but as a rule of thumb most SPOS are at the back/side.

I've been reading as well A LOT and from what I ascertain that there is no such thing as a 'minimum size'.

the minimum size really is a calculation of the below:

a) dwelling size
b) SPOS (secluded private open space)
c) mandatory car spaces (eg 3 bedroom requires two car spaces)
d) vehicle access
e) area to fit storage space (eg shed)

i'm sure there is a few more to add to that as well....keep in mind, if you are at the front of the block, then you'll have to forfeit the setback...so you'll lose heaps there. From what I've seen the SPOS, needs to be at the back or side, in some cases it can be at the front on corners, but providing the fence is set back from the real boundary, but as a rule of thumb most SPOS are at the back/side.

A good architect would know what is required as part of development to get through town planning.

I took this option together with a town planner for the submission. The two colaborated to get things designed whilst still meeting my design breif. ie 3 bedrooms, double garage etc.

The problem is, all councils are different and may have small insignificant differences in their requirements that can cause a few hurdles.

I know my council wants one covered car space out of the two made available on a 3 bedroom unit.

Other things to consider - trees - my council always wants 1 tree planted about a 4 metres away that can grow up to 8 metres in the back yard, but cannot be on an easement.....
Also, common driveways, space to turn around at each garage need to be considered.
Set backs are usually in line with the rest of the street (unless units are on a corner block) so you actually loose space for the development.
Stupid precise rules like these narrows your building envelope.

There are many more

Back